• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tanqueray No. Ten

freshherbs

I recently purchased a bottle of Tanqueray #10 and found it to be quite nice: easy to drink for a gin but still complex. Looking for good cocktail recipes using #10. any thoughts?

"cadillac.  a good car to drive after a war"
Edited by freshherbs (log)

Tanqueray Ten in on the very short list of gins that I can drink all by itself and truely enjoy it. I have yet to find a vermouth I like, so gin for me is either on the rocks, or with a touch of tonic when my malaria is acting up.<grin>

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I've got a regular who assured me that he'd single handedly drink enough of it to make it worth my while to add it to my bar. Good enough reason for me.

I'll try it with the Orange Bitters No. 6 that I just bought on rec. from here in the drink forum.

Tanqueray Ten in on the very short list of gins that I can drink all by itself and truely enjoy it.  I have yet to find a vermouth I like, so gin for me is either on the rocks, or with a touch of tonic when my malaria is acting up.<grin>

malaria must be pretty prevalent in my neck of the woods...

the gin that got me drinking gin. really mild, but tasty... not too juniper-y. good gin to introduce to non-gin drinkers, although still tastes like gin.

i second the 50-50 w/orange bitters and a twist, or 4:1 martini w/bitters and twist works well, too.

Tanqueray Ten in on the very short list of gins that I can drink all by itself and truely enjoy it.  I have yet to find a vermouth I like, so gin for me is either on the rocks, or with a touch of tonic when my malaria is acting up.<grin>

Paroxisims of chills and fever???---stops it every time.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Tanqueray 10 has a lot more citrus notes than the flagship brand. Really mixes well with other fresh citrus juices. Great in a rickey or a gimlet (although the classic recipe for the latter calls for only Rose's cordial, I use 50/50 with fresh lime juice and rim the glass with a lime zest sugar, since there is less overall sweetness with the substitution). Also great mixed with a mixture of citrus, in a long drink or "cooler" with grapefruit, orange, and lime juices.

Great with fresh raspberries (muddled) and lemon juice as well. I think it is too citrus-"y" for a Pink Gin, as suggested above, but that is just my taste, preferring the classic Plymouth for that. Nothing is sacred, but its softer gin feeler goes great with the Angostura bitters and is the reason it is a classic cocktail.

Have you tried the Vya vermouth yet? I think it's splendid.

Vya is a wonderful product but IMHO it might be a little too much for a soft gin like Tanq #10. Noilly Prat might be a better match.

I would pair it with light simple ingrediants and then Regans Orange Bitters #6. An orange gin, Just Gin, bitters and bitters would be lovely.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I save Noilly Prat for when I'm using the regular bottling of Tanqueray, and use the lighter M&R when working with No. TEN.

I've also been making Cosomopolitans using T10 instead of citrus vodka, and these have gone over really well with my customers.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of M&R being necessarily "lighter" than NP, but now that you say that it makes some sense. We have a thread here on vermouth, and it might be interesting at some point to order the various bottlings of vermouth as to different qualities -- fullness of flavor, sweetness, etc.

Anyway, back to No. Ten. . . Someone like Gary is in a better position than I to speak on this point, but No. Ten has always struck me as being one of those lightly flavored "martini gins" designed to appeal to the vodka crowd. This makes it a good substitute for vodka -- subbing No. Ten for citrus vodka in a Cosmo formula, for example, although I think Plymouth works just as well this way and has more character (I like aquavit in a "Cosmo" too) -- but a little underwhelming in actual gin cocktails with flavorful modifiers.

--

No. Ten has always struck me as being one of those lightly flavored "martini gins" designed to appeal to the vodka crowd.  This makes it a good substitute for vodka  -- subbing No. Ten for citrus vodka in a Cosmo formula, for example, although I think Plymouth works just as well this way and has more character (I like aquavit in a "Cosmo" too) -- but a little underwhelming in actual gin cocktails with flavorful modifiers.

Agree completely.

(But don't listen to me. I'm gross. I like Junipero in everything.)

fresherbs:

It must be catching, as my brother gave it to me and my wife seems to be suffering from it now too. :wink:

Paroxisims of chills and fever???---stops it every time.

Stopped it last night, works like a charm. :biggrin:

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Have you tried the Vya vermouth yet? I think it's splendid.

Added Vya vermouth to the shopping list on the chalkboard, will give it a try. I doubt I'll like it. My wife loves any and vermouth, so if I don't it won't go to waste.

I save Noilly Prat for when I'm using the regular bottling of Tanqueray, and use the lighter M&R when working with No. TEN.

I've also been making Cosomopolitans using T10 instead of citrus vodka, and these have gone over really well with my customers.

Gary, out of curiosity, do you let them know it's gin? or is it a blind taste test thing?

half of it's you, half of it's me

A nice soft drink using No. 10 for the hesitant gin drinker is the Maiden's Blush:

2 oz. Tanqueray No. 10

3/4 oz. triple sec

1/2 oz. lemon juice

dash grenadine

sounds nice, biscuit. never really thought of #10 as a gin for the hesitant gin drinker, but given its lack of pine-y notes, maybe you're right. always thought it was great for classic gin cocktails: martini, gimlet, french 75, etc...

drink up baby, stay up all night  -elliott smith