• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zinc Countertops

tedwin

I am installing a kitchen in a historic house and am interested in using zinc countertops for their durability and natural patina. I know my grandparents had a zinc covered worktable in their kitchen but it's use seems to have fallen out of favor. Anyone have experience with zinc countertops? Any drawbacks?

Interesting question. The first thing that comes to mind is that zinc will be particularly vulnerable to damage by acids. Squeeze lemon juice on it and it will probably fizz. But, it was fairly widely used many years ago.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've never seen a zinc kitchen countertop, but lots of old Paris bars and bistros have zinc bars. lovely, and certainly have survived their share of wear and tear, not to mention wine spills.