• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

36" Ranges vs Cooktops

ratgirlny

We are diving into a kitchen renovation. Currently, we have a 1950's era, 36 inch Kenmore gas stove, which I love for various reasons (solid construction, 36 inch wide, stylish) and hate for others (nonfunctional broiler, eccentric pilot lights). I am considering whether to get it rehabbed or to replace it.

If we decide to replace it, I want another 36 inch gas stove, hopefully with at least 5 burners. I have 2 kids and another coming, and I need the stove real estate. I also find the wider stove works better with my bigger pans. To me, 30 inch stoves seem so cramped.

The problem is that it seems that the only 36 inch ranges out there are the true pro style ranges, like Vikings and their ilk. I can't really afford these, and I am not sure I really need that kind of stove, even though I do like to cook. Some people have suggested to me that I could instead get a 36 inch cooktop, with a wall oven. I remember really liking wall ovens when I lived in France. When I add up the simple cost of the equipment, this combination is cheaper than the 36 inch pro ranges, but I realize that cabinetry for the oven is going to jack up the price. On the other hand, a pro range is going to drive costs up too, for the ventilation and probably other things.

My questions are : is there an advantage to a range over the cooktop/wall oven combination? Does one need a second ventilation system for a wall oven? What cooktop models do people like? And are there any 36 inch ranges out there aimed at "normal" people?

Bonnie

my 2 cents: you don't need separate ventilation for a wall oven--they have a built-in system. if you have room, wall ovens and cooktop is the way to go, as you don't have to bend down so far to get stuff in and out of the oven(s). Also, wall ovens usually provide 2 ovens, while many ranges only have one. (With those kids, and all the sports team baking, etc., you will be happy to be able to do a ton of cookies at once, and maybe cook dinner at the same time!)

btw, thermador makes a 36inch cooktop with 5 burners, including a large center one, that is not the "pro line"--the advantage being that you don't need as big/expensive/noisy a ventilation rig. thermador 36 inch cooktop

hope those thoughts are helpful--good luck with your remodel.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

On the tail end of our kitchen remodeling. I also wanted a range since I go from stove top to oven a lot. I initially looked at prosumer 30" Wolf and Thermador ranges but then noted that the cook top was smaller than my old 30" range and for the big bucks wanted more. I then repriced the ranges in 36" and got prices around $6000-8000 and that was way outside my budget. Ended up with a Viking 36" range top and 30" Frigidaire double wall ovens. What I like about the Viking range top is all burner have the same heat capacity 15,000 btu to low simmer so I don't have to worry about what goes where. I think the range top was around $2400

Last April, I bought this model from a local dealer, here in Augusta/Maine.

http://www.premierrange.com/rangeP36.htm

Range P36S318BP

I only paid less than $1300.00, and that included, nat. Gas to Propane conversion and home delivery.

Got myself a 650cubic' dual venting hood, pro installed for about $800

The whole thing works like a charm.

Ask me questions, I'll try to answer, send email !

Peter

May I ask, Peter, are you using natural gas or propane? This range sounds interesting, but when retrofitted to propane, a lot of ranges lose substantial BTU output. From the company's description, it sounds like this might not be the case with the Premier, but I can't tell for sure.

May I ask, Peter, are you using natural gas or propane? This range sounds interesting, but when retrofitted to propane, a lot of ranges lose substantial BTU output. From the company's description, it sounds like this might not be the case with the Premier, but I can't tell for sure.

Substantial may not be the word, yes I use Propane, but the BTU loss is not that big, noticeable only to one that is much used to these quite high (15/12,000) cooking styles. I do not have an issue. And for the price I paid for a 36" / six burner / closed top baby I will not complain.

Peter

Yes, that Thermador looks pretty nice, and is about what I am considering. I also have looked at the Kitchenaid models

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product....&productId=1079

Any thoughts on those?

thanks,

Bonnie

btw, thermador makes a 36inch cooktop with 5 burners, including a large center one, that is not the "pro line"--the advantage being that you don't need as big/expensive/noisy a ventilation rig. thermador 36 inch cooktop

hope those thoughts are helpful--good luck with your remodel.

Was it expensive to put in the cabinetry for the wall ovens?

Bonnie

On the tail end of our kitchen remodeling.  I also wanted a range since I go from stove top to oven a lot.  I initially looked at prosumer 30" Wolf and Thermador ranges but then noted that the cook top was smaller than my old 30" range and for the big bucks wanted more.  I then repriced the ranges in 36" and got prices around $6000-8000 and that was way outside my budget. Ended up with a Viking 36" range top and 30" Frigidaire double wall ovens.  What I like about the Viking range top is all burner have the same heat capacity 15,000 btu to low simmer so I don't have to worry about what goes where.  I think the range top was around $2400

Since we gutted and all new cabinets went in, no it wasn't expensive for a "hole" with a small cabinet above and drawer under the ovens. My biggest problem now is fear of getting them dirty. I would throw a steak in cast iron in the old hot oven with grease popping all over. Can't seem to get the nerve, yet, to do this to the new ones.