• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Char Kway

I like to make this kind of South Asian churros

How do you ppl make them?

thanks

you can get package mix from the Asian super market, or you can make them from scratch, I have a recipe somewhere, if you are interested, I will try to dig it out.From memory it contains ammonia, I was told that is what gives it that lacy interior.

Oh, by the way I like your churros comparison, whatever you do just don't sprinkle any icing sugar on it :raz: I have to have it with congee.

These are a pain to make from scratch. The ammonia powder may be difficult to find and you really need a huge wok/deep fryer to fry them properly.So much easier to buy them. Do you have them in Melbourne?

I tried to make them in my restaurant kitchen acouple of times. They puffed up, but they got hard quicker than the stor bought ones.

The store-bought ones do freeze well if you can only find them once in a while. I wrap them up well then reheat, wrapped in foil, in the oven.

Gotta have 'em with congee. :wub:

Some people do eat 'em dipped in sweet condensed milk. I haven't tried that altho' as a child, I used to slather the sweet sticky milk on bread.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Well I know the prepackaged stuff pottong that comes from Thailand but I want to make them from scratch for the fan of it.

I also know that is traditionally used in congee however I have seen Asians (thus my comparison to churros) having them with coffee or myself had it hot and crispy out of an Asian shops here. This is what prompted me to ask for a recipe.

Thanks

Haven't made them before, but, here's the recipe. However, I've stood entranced watching a yau char kway sifu make the YCK and its related goodies (my fav is the caramelly crunchy ma geok or horse's hoof) from the moment he sets up his stall. Really a treat, I tell you, to see him working so deftly. From the recipe, 2 strips are pressed together...but the YCK man I watched, rolled a long rectangle of dough out, then using his pastry cutter, cut 1.5-inch strips, then made a slit in the middle of these.

BTW, we have no problem getting alum and ammonia powder here. Would be happy to send to you if you can't find it over there.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Piazzola, if you are looking for it in Melbourne, Wing Cheong (In the 2nd lane on Lt Bourke from the pub/bottle shop on Russell St side) in Chinatown has it. Unfortunately......it's pretty soggy, so my mate and I used to cut it in half lengthwise and throw it into our deep fryer and its good as new!

Here in Singapore (And probably elsewhere), I grew up eating yau char kwai, or you tiao with desserts like, tau huay (Tau fu fa in cantonese, which is very soft and smooth dessert tofu in a sugar syrup), tau suan (A kind of grain or bean boiled in syrup) or congee.

Also, Tepee's description of how they shape it is exactly I've how its made here.