• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mom's coming! Celiac AND allergic to eggs...

cgriff

My wonderful mother is coming to visit for 4-5 days, and I'd appreciate assistance with planning our restaurant visits.

Her allergies (celiac and eggs) can be tricky to anticipate, and I'd really like to give her some good options without her feeling like its been a lot of trouble for me OR the restaurant staff.

Its also her birthday on Wednesday... and on Friday we'll be in West Vancouver to attend a concert so we'll need to have an early dinner (ie: 5:30).

BTW: we were in Victoria a few months ago and I took her to Paprika - we had a wonderful time; the staff were completely dialed into her situation and the food was superb. Of course I had the duck, as I had already read all the E-Gullet reviews!! :laugh: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to her visit, and would love to be able to treat her to some fine examples of Vancouver cuisine. (I love Vij's but, aside from her allergies, perhaps it might be a bit too spicy for her...)

Any and all ideas welcome - Many thanks!

My wonderful mother is coming to visit for 4-5 days, and I'd appreciate assistance with planning our restaurant visits.

Her allergies (celiac and eggs) can be tricky to anticipate, and I'd really like to give her some good options without her feeling like its been a lot of trouble for me OR the restaurant staff.

Its also her birthday on Wednesday... and on Friday we'll be in West Vancouver to attend a concert so we'll need to have an early dinner (ie: 5:30). 

BTW: we were in Victoria a few months ago and I took her to Paprika - we had a wonderful time; the staff were completely dialed into her situation and the food was superb. Of course I had the duck, as I had already read all the E-Gullet reviews!!  :laugh:  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to her visit, and would love to be able to treat her to some fine examples of Vancouver cuisine.  (I love Vij's but, aside from her allergies, perhaps it might be a bit too spicy for her...)

Any and all ideas welcome - Many thanks!

Just thought I'd throw out a couple of ideas. :)

I was thinking it wouldn't be any effort at all to avoid both wheat flour and eggs in a Japanese restaurant, if you avoid the tempura batter, and tamago sushi, and a few other items that are deep fried in batter. Sorry, I keep harping on this restaurant, but I'm really digging it lately - Yuji's Japanese Tapas on W. 4th and Maple. A nice small place that shouldn't have any trouble keeping track of the food restrictions, and so representative of Vancouver, I think (well, at least more than Milestones! See recent Westender reader's vote article...). At least with sushi, all the ingredients are very obvious, so it wouldn't be a matter of having the chef come up with new menu items for her, and she could feel like she could order freely from the regular menu.

How about Chinese Hot Pot where you cook your own food together at the table in a big simmering pot of stock? I've only had it recently at Top Gun Hot Pot at Metrotown, but there are lots of places to get this elsewhere, maybe someone else knows.

Or Korean barbeque where you grill your own meat at the table, like at Shabusen downtown, or there's a Korean restaurant on Broadway (near Granville?) that does this too? No hidden ingredients at all in either of these two.

Afghan Horsemen can actually do their vegetarian platter vegan, so I imagine if you call ahead they could ensure a egg and wheat free platter. Though, it is somewhat spicy, and part of the charm of that restaurant is sitting on the floor, so if your Mum is not into that, it might not be the best choice (they do have lots of regular tables too though). My line of thinking was just to go to ethnic restaurants where eggs and wheat don't normally play a large role in the cuisine anyway. The other way to go, as it sounds like you had at Paprika, is going to restaurants who are particularly good at accomodating for food restrictions, without making a fuss, so I will leave others to recommend those, as I don't have experience with that.

I know the team at West have been very accomadating on food allergies.. one of my friend's parents are buddhist vegetarians - which means not only no meat - but no garlic, onions, or other related aromatics. Their need (called ahead) with no fuss or muss and great food.

Good call on the Asian choices DG. I was thinking the same thing about Japanese food - especially sushi.

If things get desparate - there is always the Naam.

As someone who is also celiac (as is my mother), I second the recommendation for West as they always ensure that I have a fantastic meal. Actually, my other diner guests usually wish they had something wrong with them as well, as the dishes usually go above and beyond.

To be honest, most 4 or 5 star restaurants are very happy and capable to cater for special diets, I only seem to run into problems with CFD restaurants and fast food.

Here is a list of some of my other favorite places, where they have gone out of thier way to ensure I had a great meal.

Cioppino's

Coast

Aurora Bistro

C Restaurant

Saveur

On the North Shore:

Kansai Sushi

Gusto di Quattro

Dundarave Fish Market

Don't bother with La Regulade (hands down the best restaurant on the North Shore, but they will not alter dishes for special diets).

The biggest secret is to always call ahead and give the chef a heads up that you are coming, and tell him exactly what your requirements are. The, let him/her cook for you.

I hope you and your Mom have a fabulous time!

Cheers,

Eric

Hi there, a great web site you can look at is foodvancouver.com. This site lists restaurants that have been reviewed for their ability to handle dietary restrictions and special food related needs. It is endorsed by the celiac association and is well researched. I have used it as a resource many times for enquiries that have come to me. Web site is www.foodvancouver.comthen click on special diets.

Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Many thanks to all for your wonderful comments and suggestions!

We're off to West for the birthday party and on Friday will head to the Dundarave Fish Market, which is perfect for a late afternoon repast... I phoned ahead and both establishments were very understanding and pleased to assist.

Cate's pointer to foodvancouver.com for dietary definitions and compassionate restaurants is well worth perusing; would be great to see more businesses listed, as its a great tool for those needing assistance in navigating culinary possibilities.

• 2 months later...
Many thanks to all for your wonderful comments and suggestions! 

We're off to West for the birthday party and on Friday will head to the Dundarave Fish Market, which is perfect for a late afternoon repast... I phoned ahead and both establishments were very understanding and pleased to assist.

Cate's pointer to foodvancouver.com for dietary definitions and compassionate restaurants is well worth perusing; would be great to see more businesses listed, as its a great tool for those needing assistance in navigating culinary possibilities.

Thanks for the great feedback. Since this post www.foodvancouver.com has been able to provide free advertising for restaurants who wish to provide information on special dietary needs accompanied by two photos. Many thanks to kiss me kate, Glowbal Grill, Chambar, La Terrazza and others. If you wish to sign up just go to the site and you will see the sign up page on the right.