• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO recipes for 'edible coral' and pouring sugar

atcake

Does anyone have a recipe for the edible coral? It starts with a simple syrup then you add something to it to make it look foamy.

The other one is for the type of poured sugar you can use for pulled sugar too. I have the Venuance pearls, but need a pourable one for an upcoming project.

Thanks in advance!

Patric is referring to microwaving pastillage - which is one way to create a sort of fluffy coarl looking sugar effect. I believe that what you are thinking of is achieve by pouring the sugar syrup over ground ice, or cubed ice - its fun since different ice shapes and sizes affect teh appearance. You are not really doing a simple syrup as such, but cooking sugar for poured or cast sugar then pouring it into a bucket filled with ice. In France someone told me they did something like that using a container of oil that they had cooled in the freezer - but that may have been speculation and not factual.

this might not be the best use of your vanuance pearls and I would discourage that. I would also discourage you from using isomalt - for cost reasons. Try with a good poured sugar recipe at least to test and see if you like the results

Now I do need to qualify this respinse by saying that I have not actually tested this procedure. I think that Nightscottsman may have done this at the French pastry School. Also, it may be cobered in the posts from Sklinsky (?) who attended the Uster sugar clas with Anil Rohira

If that does not work out you might try some other approaches - depending on what exactly you need to do and what you are trying to achieve. You could do cast sugar in sugar where you pour the sugar into a tub of granulated sugar and gently work it around. Its really beautiful and provides a great structural element in a showpiece - the drawback is that it is fairly unpredictable since each time you do it - the result will be unique.

If that doesn't suit your requirements - you could try other approaches with pulling, blowing, and pouring

On last week's Sugar Rush show, one of the features was a sugar showpiece with an ocean theme from a chef at a hotel in Florida. The chef took a tablespoon of royal icing and pushed it into a pot of boiling sugar (already colored) - he said it was the same type of sugar used to pour into the molds he was using. I don't think they showed him pouring it out, but you had to do that quickly, and it would foam and "dry" into edible coral. I don't know that it is good to eat, but it would qualify as edible. The pot was small as I remember - probably about a quart?

1) cover 2lbs granulatead sugar with water - bring to boil - boil to 140C

2) make thin royal icing - 6oz icing sugar with 1 egg white

3) line a big mixing bowl with silicone parchment

4) mix royal icing and hot sugar mixture together - add color at this stage if required

5) quickly pour mixture into prepared bowl - mixture will bubble up into sugar coral

Now I do need to qualify this respinse by saying that I have not actually tested this procedure.  I think that Nightscottsman may have done this at the French pastry School.  Also, it may be cobered in the posts from Sklinsky (?) who attended the Uster sugar clas with Anil Rohira

We didn't do any of the pouring hot sugar into ice cubes, but we did do the pastilage in the microwave (great technique), as well as pouring tempered chocolate into a container of ice cubes. I'm assuming the sugar technique would give similar results to the chocolate version, though. The tricky part would be the ice would begin to melt instantly and make the poured sugar sticky.

Thank you. It was the royal icing one, like on Food TV. I had seen it done before, but most recently on there. I would like to try if for an ocean scene I'm working on.

The other one, I reckon, would be for casting sugar. I need to make blue flames and wanted to try it as a cast first then try to pull them. They would need to be dark blue on the bottom fading out into pale blue.

Thank you all for your gracious help! I knew I could count on you!

• 1 year later...

Same question - different outcome sought...

I want to create something I saw but don't remember where. I saw someone melt sugar (maybe/probably isomalt), then pour that liquid into crushed ice. Then they removed the sugar and it had a coral effect. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Does anyone know how its done?

Thanks.

Same question - different outcome sought...

I want to create something I saw but don't remember where.  I saw someone melt sugar (maybe/probably isomalt), then pour that liquid into crushed ice.  Then they removed the sugar and it had a coral effect.  Does anybody know what I'm talking about?  Does anyone know how its done?

Thanks.

Don't know about sugar, but you can do it with chocolate. See here.