• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia's Best Burger

Tim Dolan

I checked out the Five Guys location in Clifton last month about a week after they opened. It was good - soft bun, nicely ground burger, fresh-cut fries. That said, they did manage to screw up the order perfectly - all six burgers either had the wrong toppings or wrong temp. The recipients did not care, though - free food being free food and all.

owner, Rx

Went to Good Dog again last night and was not dissappointed. They are putting on a Bernard Hopkins-like title defense. They really put out an awesome burger. I think I'm gonna try Brasserie Perrier next, but until further notice, Good Dog is still ranked #1.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I've heard good things about Fuddrucker's, but only in Jersey. Anyone care to corroborate or deny? Their website says there are locations in Turnersville & Voorhees.

Chain food, bad food, at least the one in Langhorne is anyway. I went once, once was enough

The one I went to, wherever it was, ye those many moons ago,

I thought it wasn't good enough, considering it was (trying to be (in my estimation) a step up from McDonald's.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've heard good things about Fuddrucker's, but only in Jersey. Anyone care to corroborate or deny? Their website says there are locations in Turnersville & Voorhees.

I dunno. The very first time I ate at a Fuddrucker's it was up around Endicott, NY in about 1986. I thought it was good, but not great. It was a build-yer-own-burger. How bad it was depended on how much crap you chose to put on your own burger, right? I've eaten at the one in Voorhees since and thought it was a pretty decent burger for a chain, but it's just good. Not transcendant.

Fuddrucker's is hardly in the same league as Rouge, Barclay Prime or even a lot of the Philly burgers we've discussed upthread that didn't make the cut for Alan Richman's article. But it's certainly at least a couple of steps above McDonald's ferchrissakes!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

A new Five Guys Burgers just opened in the Gateway shopping center in Wayne. Stopped by tonight on the way home from work. While I was waiting for my order I noticed a sign which read, "All burgers cooked well done". Well, unfortunately that was confirmed with the first bite. As someone else mentioned upthread, the burger was dried out. The other problem was that the burger and toppings were too thick and made eating it quite a challenge.

The fries, on the other hand, were very good. They were crisp and flavorful, holding up well on a short ride home. So, at least, they did that well, but when you really only offer burgers and fries, a 50% success ration isn't that great.

Edited by jason32 (log)

I vaguely recall eating in one many years ago, and it might even have been the Voorhees one, which I actually just drove by today.

My nondistinct impression is that it was better than the big tres of McD, Burger King, and Wendy's, other regional chains are probably better.

One particular chain I tried in the Westport, CT area whose name I can't recall was very good.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It's been a while since I've posted here, mostly because I haven't been anywhere but Good Dog in the past 2 months. I'm still impressed. However tonight I'm going to attempt somewhere else. I'm not sure where that place is yet, but I'll report back.

Homer Simpson

It's been a while since I've posted here, mostly because I haven't been anywhere but Good Dog in the past 2 months.  I'm still impressed.  However tonight I'm going to attempt somewhere else.  I'm not sure where that place is yet, but I'll report back.

Soooo...whose burger did you end up having and how was it?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I apologize, I've been very lazy recently. Got caught up with finals and some other stuff. Anyway, Katie, to answer your question the burger I went out to try back on April 27th was at the Society Hotel at 3rd and Chestnut. It was awesome. It wasn't a big monster burger that I've been getting used to, but I guess it was just a normal size. I can't really put my finger on it, I'm guessing it was the quality of the meat, but it was just a really good, tasty burger. Nice and juicy, cooked perfectly, with good fries. It definitely hit the spot.

It seemed like a really cool place to just chill out, have a good conversation along with a good beer. I'd have to imagine that those outside tables always have people in them, especially since it's been getting so nice out since I've been there. I even managed to scam my girlfriend into betting me that it was an actual hotel and that you signed in at the bar, all of which I knew ahead of time. Shamelessly underhanded and absolutely entertaining both at the same time!

Homer Simpson

I apologize, I've been very lazy recently.  Got caught up with finals and some other stuff.  Anyway, Katie, to answer your question the burger I went out to try back on April 27th was at the Society Hotel at 3rd and Chestnut.  It was awesome.  It wasn't a big monster burger that I've been getting used to, but I guess it was just a normal size.  I can't really put my finger on it, I'm guessing it was the quality of the meat, but it was just a really good, tasty burger.  Nice and juicy, cooked perfectly, with good fries.  It definitely hit the spot. 

It seemed like a really cool place to just chill out, have a good conversation along with a good beer.  I'd have to imagine that those outside tables always have people in them, especially since it's been getting so nice out since I've been there.  I even managed to scam my girlfriend into betting me that it was an actual hotel and that you signed in at the bar, all of which I knew ahead of time.  Shamelessly underhanded and absolutely entertaining both at the same time!

Ooookaaay. Actually I like the bar at the Society Hill Hotel too. They make good drinks, especially when Rick is behind the bar.

I'd ask what you won on the shameless bet with the girlfriend, but I might not want to know the answer, so I'll assume whatever it was, it was worth it. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
A new Five Guys Burgers just opened in the Gateway shopping center in Wayne.  Stopped by tonight on the way home from work.  While I was waiting for my order I noticed a sign which read, "All burgers cooked well done". Well, unfortunately that was confirmed with the first bite. As someone else mentioned upthread, the burger was dried out. The other problem was that the burger and toppings were too thick and made eating it quite a challenge. 

The fries, on the other hand, were very good. They were crisp and flavorful, holding up well on a short ride home.  So, at least, they did that well, but when you really only offer burgers and fries, a 50% success ration isn't that great.

I'll have to agree largely with Jason, I stumbled across Five Guys last night after a Trader Joe's run, and was curious. My burger wasn't completely dried-out, and actually tasted pretty good, but it would have been better cooked a touch less. But it really was a big mess, the double-patty thing, the fairly thick roll, and the generous hand with both cheese and condiments made it very difficult to eat without making a total mess.

Also, for some odd reason, they insist on wrapping everything up, even if you're eating there, so it gets all mushed-together even if you're going 15 feet from the counter to a table. In the end, a decent burger, not the greatest, but not bad, mostly sunk by their insistence on cooking everything well-done.

gallery_23992_2350_61601.jpg

(I dunno, I think they make their burgers out-of-focus too.)

But, as all have mentioned, the fries are indeed quite good: fresh, crisp, yet tender inside.

gallery_23992_2350_138329.jpg

I might go back and just get fries. Or they have hot dogs.

One thing that weirded me out was that I noticed all employees were wearing latex gloves, yet a couple of them were trading positions: up working the register, or sweeping-up, putting buns on the grill to toast, assembling burgers, etc. But nobody was changing gloves, it's as if they thought the reason for the gloves was to merely protect us from their hands. It doesn't really help to wear latex gloves if you're going to handle money and operate the register and pick up the phone and then go back to assembling burgers without ever taking them off or changing them! I know all kinds of crazy stuff goes on in kitchens that we just don't see, but if they're going to give the impression of being sanitary by wearing gloves, I'd rather they didn't contaminate them right in front of me... I'd rather they just washed their hands, or stuck to one job.

Anyway, not adding it to my regular rotation, but interesting...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 4 weeks later...

Two days, two burgers. Went to Good Dog (again) last night, and I'm still hooked on their burger. It's been my experience that most places will slightly overcook a burger just in case, or because they're just screwing up, but this has never been the case for me at Good Dog. It always comes out as ordered. Easily still #1 in my book.

As for the other burger, I sampled the Black Lab Bistro's offering during lunch today. I ordered medium, it came out well. Almost to the point that it was dry. That really took major points off. Even though I ordered it with Gruyere and bacon, the well-doneness of the meat gave it an overall bland taste. They were packed and I did order a cup of lobster bisque (damn good) to start, so I'm guessing they might have fired my burger a little too early. I'll give them another shot though because all of the food I saw being delivered to other tables looked really good. Maybe next time I'll head there on a Monday or go to lunch a little earlier. But as it stands now, they wouldn't crack my regular rotation.

Homer Simpson

Yesterday was a great day. I went to Standard Tap to give them their long overdue shot at redemption, and they didn't disappoint. I can finally say that Good Dog has a legitimate rival for best burger in the city (IMHO, of course.)

As I've mentioned earlier, I've been victim to a recent phenomenon of having my burgers slightly overcooked everywhere I go. I've always eaten my steaks medium rare but ordered burgers medium. I now realize my mistake. I just should've been ordering medium rare for burgers all the time, as I did yesterday. I ordered their Double Standard, which is the mammoth 12oz version of their normal burger. This burger came out cooked perfectly and wa so juicy that the juice would run down my chin with almost every bite. It was sooooooooo good. The fries were also outstanding. They were cut somewhere inbetween shoestring and a normal fry size. They spent the perfect amount of time in the fryer and were dusted with the perfect amount of kosher salt.

The only bad thing I can say about yesterday, which is by no means the bar's fault, was that it was blazingly hot out on their rooftop patio. It was bearable to be outside when the clouds were blocking the sun, but once that sun was out it got pretty rough. We just moved inside to the upstairs bar and sat in front of their huge fan, and everything was cool (quite literally) again.

Yesterday was also great for a totally different reason than the amazing burger that I had the pleasure of enjoying. Right on the opposite corner of Standard Tap is an awesome little store called The Foodery, which I will now give it's own thread. I don't know how to insert a hyperlink, so after I make the thread if someone would help me out and put it in here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Homer Simpson

The fries, on the other hand, were very good. They were crisp and flavorful, holding up well on a short ride home.  So, at least, they did that well, but when you really only offer burgers and fries, a 50% success ration isn't that great.

But, as all have mentioned, the fries are indeed quite good: fresh, crisp, yet tender inside.

gallery_23992_2350_138329.jpg

I might go back and just get fries. Or they have hot dogs.

One thing that weirded me out was that I noticed all employees were wearing latex gloves, yet a couple of them were trading positions: up working the register, or sweeping-up, putting buns on the grill to toast, assembling burgers, etc. But nobody was changing gloves, it's as if they thought the reason for the gloves was to merely protect us from their hands....

Anyway, not adding it to my regular rotation, but interesting...

I'm going to third the recommendation for the fries -crispy, burning hot, fresh cut. I went to the Chestnut St location yesterday after a stop at DiBruno's, and the regular sized fries as pictured by philadining come in the styrofoam cup, with at least as much poured into the paper bag on top of the styrofoam cup. In other words, the portion size was twice what fit in the styrofoam cup. $2.03 and they're open late.

My friend had the little hamburger (1patty vs regular=2patties) and liked it a lot, especially for the price point ($4.29).

fiveguys.com

Yesterday was a great day.  I went to Standard Tap to give them their long overdue shot at redemption, and they didn't disappoint.  I can finally say that Good Dog has a legitimate rival for best burger in the city (IMHO, of course.) 

As I've mentioned earlier, I've been victim to a recent phenomenon of having my burgers slightly overcooked everywhere I go.  I've always eaten my steaks medium rare but ordered burgers medium.  I now realize my mistake.  I just should've been ordering medium rare for burgers all the time, as I did yesterday.  I ordered their Double Standard, which is the mammoth 12oz version of their normal burger.  This burger came out cooked perfectly and wa so juicy that the juice would run down my chin with almost every bite.  It was sooooooooo good.  The fries were also outstanding.  They were cut somewhere inbetween shoestring and a normal fry size.  They spent the perfect amount of time in the fryer and were dusted with the perfect amount of kosher salt. 

The only bad thing I can say about yesterday, which is by no means the bar's fault, was that it was blazingly hot out on their rooftop patio.  It was bearable to be outside when the clouds were blocking the sun, but once that sun was out it got pretty rough.  We just moved inside to the upstairs bar and sat in front of their huge fan, and everything was cool (quite literally) again. 

Yesterday was also great for a totally different reason than the amazing burger that I had the pleasure of enjoying.  Right on the opposite corner of Standard Tap is an awesome little store called The Foodery, which I will now give it's own thread.  I don't know how to insert a hyperlink, so after I make the thread if someone would help me out and put it in here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If the only bad thing you can say about the Tap is that the rooftop was hot, I'd say they are sure doin them burgers right!

My all-time favorite bar none, especially when the juices run down my face. Anyone know what beef is used here? It is extraordinarily tasty

I'm going to third the recommendation for the fries -crispy, burning hot, fresh cut. I went to the Chestnut St location yesterday after a stop at DiBruno's, and the regular sized fries as pictured by philadining come in the styrofoam cup, with at least as much poured into the paper bag on top of the styrofoam cup. In other words, the portion size was twice what fit in the styrofoam cup. $2.03 and they're open late.

My friend had the little hamburger (1patty vs regular=2patties) and liked it a lot, especially for the price point ($4.29).

fiveguys.com

That's a good point about the fries, katbert. I had the same thing happen at Five Guys, there was a pretty outrageous pile of fries in the bag, so the portion was quite generous.

And I'll pile-on in the love-fest for Standard Tap, now that I think of it, I probably already have, but their burger is one of my faves.

And I'm not sure that I posted it in this topic, but the "Kobe Burger" up the street at Deuce is pretty rocking.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

sorry to spoil the fun by going against the grain, but i thought the fries at five guys were overcooked. too brown. the texture was basically right, but the flavor was... brown.

the burger was great though. like what i imagine mcdonalds was before the advent of steam trays. (i got the little burger, because it seemed like the balance of burger and bun and whatnot made more sense). totally a fast-food style burger, not some fancy 14 oz steakhouse burger. and greasy enough to not be dry even though it was fully cooked. damn good.

So I noticed that DiBrunos does a Kobe burger for $12. And philadining says Deuce has one. I remember Barclay Prime has Kobe sliders. (I don't like the word slider to be used for solid food, but so be it.)

A quick Google search says that Moshulu, Barrister's also have Kobe beef burgers. Anywhere else? I'm thinking of doing a little pampered cow burger tour.

I'm thinking of doing a little pampered cow burger tour.

Yesssss! Pure genius.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So I noticed that DiBrunos does a Kobe burger for $12. And philadining says Deuce has one. I remember Barclay Prime has Kobe sliders. (I don't like the word slider to be used for solid food, but so be it.)

A quick Google search says that Moshulu, Barrister's also have Kobe beef burgers. Anywhere else? I'm thinking of doing a little pampered cow burger tour.

see, now that's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that i like to see.

As if I needed another excuse to drop coin on food.

Guess I'll just go barefoot this winter. :smile:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I swung by Five Guys on Chestnut to check out their burger and fries the other day for lunch. I got the little cheeseburger and it was nothing to write home about. Because they wrap all the burgers in foil, the top half of my hamburger roll was completely flattened and it may have been cut incorrectly because it hardly covered the burger. The rest of the burger was a complete falling apart mess and, though it wasn't objectionable, had nothing to really distinguish it.

The fries were a different story. I got almost 2 full cups from the regular size after accounting for the spillover. They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They may be a litttle browner than some people like but I like my fries that way. However, there was one peculiar problem to deal with after I finished the fries: no matter how many times I washed my hands that day, I couldn't seem to completely get rid of the smell of fries and oil from my hands. Luckily I didn't have to shake any hands afterwards or it might have been awkward. :wink:

I've now made my pilgrimage to Five Guys, and I'd definitely go back.

If the cholesterol and fat I consumed yesterday don't kill me first, my doctor and nurse probably will when they find out.

I actually got a bonus burger when I went: I guess they had put too many patties on the grill, and so one of the counter clerks called out "Free burger! Who wants a free burger?" That one I had slathered with onions and mushrooms, a departure for me.

My opinion of the burgers is that they are gloriously messy and pretty good. The one thing they need to do to make them really good is stop cooking them well done. At least they are not well done to the point of dryness.

But the fries? Exactly what fries should be. And lots of them, too.

Still, as "fast food" burgers go, these stand above the crowd. Only Wendy's comes even remotely close, and they're well behind these guys.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3