• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Fish Monger

Hello fellow Egulleters,

I am coming to Waikiki this thursday for holidays for a few weeks. Our hotel room has a kitchen so I wanted to know if there are any good fish mongers in my area. In particular, I would love to buy some good ahi tuna and take it back to our hotel room and prepare it myself. Let me know if you can give me any advise.

Thanks,

Les.

Hi Les,

The only food market in Waikiki is an overpriced supermarket called Food Pantry. Their fish is okay, but you'd do much better getting out of the area.

A couple of ideas:

1) If you have a car or can take the bus (#2 or #13), go to Daiei, a Japanese supermarket 2 bus stops (4 blocks) outside Waikiki. Ask the bus driver to call out the stop; cross the big avenue and walk 1 long block. One of the best selections of fish in the city, as well as good produce and all other sorts of unusual products. You'll also pass by Palama Market, a new Korean store I haven't been into yet.

2) For a real adventure, drive or take the bus (again #2 or #13) to Tamashiro's Fish Market way downtown on North King Street. It's the premier fish market in Honolulu. They carry all different grades of ahi, as well as an amazing selection of poke (pronounced poh-key) -- chopped fish salad, and local fish you'll not find elsewhere.

Edited 'cause I can't spell and forget to proofread.

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

SuzySushi-

Thank you so much for the suggestions, will definetely check out both places and will report back.

Les.

Hi Les,

The only food market in Waikiki is an overpriced supermarket called Food Pantry. Their fish is okay, but you'd do much better getting out of the area.

A couple of ideas:

1) If you have a car or can take the bus (#2 or #13), go to Daiei, a Japanese supermarket 2 bus stops (4 blocks) outside Waikiki. Ask the bus driver to call out the stop; cross the big avenue and walk 1 long block. One of the best selections of fish in the city, as well as good produce and all other sorts of unusual products. You'll also pass by Palama Market, a new Korean store I haven't been into yet.

2) For a real adventure, drive or take the bus (again #2 or #13) to Tamashiro's Fish Market way downtown on North King Street. It's the premier fish market in Honolulu. They carry all different grades of ahi, as well as an amazing selection of poke (pronounced poh-key) -- chopped fish salad, and local fish you'll not find elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Young's Fish Market, too. We go there for our sashimi for New Year's parties.

SuzySushi-

Thank you so much for the suggestions, will definetely check out both places and will report back.

Les.

Hi Les,

A couple of ideas: