• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kraft Dinner

Mallet

When I was a kid, my all-time favorite was Kraft Dinner with a side of Hillshire Farms smoked sausage. I even requested it as my special brithday dinner...more than once. I still like it...mmmm, sodium!

OMG! That was what we had for dinner last evening. I recently injured my shoulder and cutting up a lot stuff isn't on my agenda most days.

Since I didn't feel like doing anything else, I made a box of Deluxe and cut a couple of pieces of Hillshire Turkey Kielbasa down the cneter so they would lie flat and browned both sides. I did cut up some zucchini amd mushrooms and sauteed them in olive oil with a bit of green onion.

I've never actually eaten Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. :huh: Am I un-American? :wink:

The other day, Mr. g made me mac and cheese from scratch and that was the first time I'd ever even eaten it.

I don't think I'll be trying it a second time. :raz:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I've never actually eaten Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. :huh:  Am I un-American? :wink:

The other day, Mr. g made me mac and cheese from scratch and that was the first time I'd ever even eaten it.

I don't think I'll be trying it a second time. :raz:

I was wondering the same thing. I grew up in the States except for 5 years in my teens when I lived in Thailand but I never had mac & cheese until I moved back here when I was 17 and a boyfriend wanted me to make it for dinner. He was shocked when I told him I didn't know how. I'm not a big fan of it but every 6 months or so I make a box of Kraft. I like it plain, with black pepper, or with siracha sauce. I go through phases of which noodles I like. It used to be the spirals and now it's back to the elbows. The dinosaur ones are kinda cool. I've had the homemade kind and I really don't care for that at all. Every one I've tried always seems mushy. yuck!

I love KD, though if I could change it, I'd tone down the sweetness a bit. It makes it a little too heavy-tasting.

Sometimes I add tuna and/or peas, but I always end up realizing that it's better just as it is. It's one of those commercial products that's been carefully engineered to be at its optimal flavor with nothing added to it. Same goes with wacky methods of preparing it (e.g. making a roux with the butter and cheez powder before whisking in milk). Doesn't help, and at best just wastes time.

LOVE the kraft dinner. (Yes I'm Canadian). It was the first thing I learned to make, aside from pancakes.

About ten years ago I tried making it with no milk - just boil the noodles, drain 99.9% of the water then pour in the cheese powder and stir. Since then, that's always how I make it. I'd probably do a jazzier version if I ever served it to company though. :wink:

LOVE IT THIS WAY! Cheese is all lumpy!!!! :biggrin:

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

For me KD is a Once-a-Moon kind of food.

Actually I think it's fake cheese powder that I crave monthly but some months that takes the form of Cheetos and sometimes KD. The Husband always nods sagely when the KD makes it in the grocery cart and plans a night away from home so I can indulge without guilt.

I never dress it up. Mom never made it for us, I think I only ate it once before I moved out. Now it's more often than that.

I like to tink of less as a food and more as a rare element that my body needs every once in a while to keep functioning. Cheeztronium!

I follow my "family secret receipe":

- prepare as per the standard directions

- pour into pyrex dish, cover top with 2-3 slices of Kraft "plastic" cheese slices

- bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or more.

I grew up on this method and am now preparing it to the disgust of my wife and the enjoyment of my teenage son.

When I had my gourmet-to-go, we got a bunch of Kraft M&C Dinners from the grocery department, at a beeg discount one day, and did an experiement: Make the stuff according to package directions, top with some gorgeous sliced tomatoes and strips of bacon, and run under the broiler until the top got nice and bubbly ...

My upscale clientele could not get enough of it. Go figger!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 2 months later...

Kraft Dinner (Canada), and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (USA) are DIFFERENT products, marketed for two different markets.:shock:

Canadians prefer the stronger cheese flavour and tend to eat it on its own, thus Kraft Dinner - it also has a darker yellow color.

The American Version is much milder, and lighter in color. Americans tend to have it as a side dish - compared to Canadians.

As "dual citizens" living in Washington State, we often bring back KD from BC when we visit. We'll have KD once every couple of months when we get a craving, are lazy, and feel especially cheap :biggrin:

Note: I'm referring to the original; not all the white chedder, etc variations now available.

Edited by boris (log)