• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kraft Dinner

Mallet

Let's face it.... everyone has to resort to Kraft Dinner sometime, whether it be because you just don't feel like making anything or because you simply crave it. So:

How do you make it?

What are your favorite additions?

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I can't buy it here in Korea, although I can get "Kraft Macaroni and Cheese", which I maintain tastes different - not as sharp as the Canadian version. But I've never backed it up with a side-by-side taste comparison. (Hmmm....project?)

When I do get some in a care package from home, I like it runny, with lots of milk, and freshly ground black pepper. My husband likes his with barely any milk at all, so we usually have to prepare a box each.

If it's a special occasion, I like it with bacon on the side.

As a child, my favourite dish was macaroni and cheese (actually, M&C is probably still my favourite dish :biggrin: ). My mother refused to buy KD, which somehow elevated it in my mind to "best food in the world status". Sometimes, I crave KD, although when I've had a few mouthfuls I usually realise that I don't really like it. Nonetheless, as I am a grad student who has now been pursuing post-secondary education for more years than I would care to count, I've had my share of times when I just need to resort to Kraft Dinner. (In fact, KD will probably be in order when I finally finish marking these papers!)

I am not a person who measures anything, but I think the directions on the box are best (1/4 cup milk (full-fat) and 1/4 butter (not margarine). Putting 1/4 cup of butter into such a small amount of noodles may seem disgusting, but I assure you that it is the best way to make Kraft Dinner. For me, it's the only way.

We serve it with hotdogs and call it gourmet night :shock:

Actually the other day I made extra ...took the extra, rolled it into little balls and egg wash and breaded them. Then I popped them into mini muffin pans and baked at 400 for about 20 min...not half bad, needs work but....

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

During the infamous year I spent on unemployment (thanks, indirectly, to the dot-com bust), Kraft mac-and-cheese was one of many cheap dinner strategies I resorted to. I'd separately heat up some of that cheapo frozen vegetable mix (y'know, the carrots/green beans/corn crap) and add that in to the finished mac-n-cheese. Yeah, it wasn't the most sensational-tasting stuff in the world, but it was cheap, filling, and sorta nutritious.

Without apology, I now proclaim that KD is my go to comfort food when I am emerging from a bad cold or whatever. No, my mum didn't make it. She made most everything from scratch. But, when I was in college, I lived in an off-campus house with a kitchen. Every Friday of the world it seemed was the KD with tuna casserole. Lots of Catholics there. It became somewhat comforting. I have gone "upscale" and keep a blue box of "Deluxe" in the wings for when I need a Teddy Bear.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I hate KD, and always have. It's odd, because we often had it in the house because my brother and sister used to eat the stuff.

However, at a friend's house I did once have some KD mixed with I think ground beef, canned tomatoes, green peppers, and maybe one other vegetable. I thought it was pretty good. I tried to make it, but it didn't taste as good.

Any ideas of proportions so I can recreate this masterpiece?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

LOVE the kraft dinner. (Yes I'm Canadian). It was the first thing I learned to make, aside from pancakes.

About ten years ago I tried making it with no milk - just boil the noodles, drain 99.9% of the water then pour in the cheese powder and stir. Since then, that's always how I make it. I'd probably do a jazzier version if I ever served it to company though. :wink:

the tall drink of water...

During the infamous year I spent on unemployment (thanks, indirectly, to the dot-com bust), Kraft mac-and-cheese was one of many cheap dinner strategies I resorted to. I'd separately heat up some of that cheapo frozen vegetable mix (y'know, the carrots/green beans/corn crap) and add that in to the finished mac-n-cheese. Yeah, it wasn't the most sensational-tasting stuff in the world, but it was cheap, filling, and sorta nutritious.

:biggrin: That's I how eat it too. And if I have canned tuna, I'll add that into the mix. It's my favorite "I don't feel like cooking but need to eat" meal.

I always have the mac and cheese in the pantry for times when not inspired to cook. Its also good for my 2 year old neice when shes over. I can cook it and add new ingredients to it to get her to try new foods. She now likes Tuna, Cod, all manner of olives and spinach thanks to mixing it with Kraft mac and cheese.

My only brushes with KD in quite a few years consist of proximity to a little yellow Tupperware bowl, brought to every family gathering by a dear SIL, whose daughters would eat nothing else from the laden table at their Grandparents' house, and a trip to a spice store with a friend.

We were separately cruising the aisles, pushing our cute little spice-sized carts, and as I rounded a turn, I saw her in whispered conversation with the one clerk on duty. I just kept loading up on this and that from the wonderful-smelling shelves, and on another trip round the end, I saw her all the way over at the "Staff Only" door, just standing, waiting.

I thought she might be waiting to use their restroom, or having the clerk look for some spice not on the shelves. Just then, the clerk emerged from the back room, handed her what looked like a big sun-yellow basketball. She hurriedly put it in the cart and covered it with her coat. She turned to me, said, "Don't you LOOK!!!" and we went to the cash register. She had just purchased a giant-size plastic bag (bigger than a gallon Zip-loc) of the KD powder---or its clone.

She told me in the car that she uses it all the time, in casseroles and to flavor soups and sauces and baked pastas. I didn't even know you could BUY the stuff in bulk. You'd have had to empty twelve cases of the elbows to get that much powder. Live and learn.

I hate KD, and always have.  It's odd, because we often had it in the house because my brother and sister used to eat the stuff. 

However, at a friend's house I did once have some KD mixed with I think ground beef, canned tomatoes, green peppers, and maybe one other vegetable.  I thought it was pretty good.  I tried to make it, but it didn't taste as good. 

Any ideas of proportions so I can recreate this masterpiece?

This is school food Chile Mac Delux...just make "chile" from the directions on the McKormic's packet and mix with the KD....oh No beans

That is almost as good as the school version in my foggy memory :shock:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When I was a kid, my all-time favorite was Kraft Dinner with a side of Hillshire Farms smoked sausage. I even requested it as my special brithday dinner...more than once. I still like it...mmmm, sodium!

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

How is making Kraft mac easier or better than just boiling some macaroni or ziti and tossing with some butter or olive oil or both, much (already grated) romano, asaigio, and parm, s&p, and say garlic powder or pepperoncino?

Of course some cream could be used or fresh herbs or all kinds of additions can be made.

But for a quick (and cheesy in a good way) meal, I don't get the Kraft thing?

In essence, the nib, the gist of my point, as it were: What's with the Kraft box thing?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

In essence, the nib, the gist of my point, as it were: What's with the Kraft box thing?

For me, at least, it's a nostalgia thing: it tastes now the exact way it did when I was little - like a Friday night when Mom went out and we had a babysitter and got to watch lots and lots of trashy TV.

On the rare occasion that I make Kraft mac and cheese, nostalgia is the primary motivating factor.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I hadn't had any for maybe 15 years until a few months ago. It was definately a nostalgic experience. I eat it with lots and lots of fresh cracked black pepper and make it with butter and a little milk. I think I can still see a little orange powder on the stove.

Some show on the food network had a segment of a guy that has collected mac n cheese boxes from all over the world. It was funny to see they are all about the same shape.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Have made myself not eat it for years, trying to be a good eater, but it's all a food memory thing for me. I've been craving the blue box lately and don't know why. Think it's like Megan said, it brings back memories of something forbidden. Sometimes my mom would make it and put in a small can of tomato sauce. That doesn't sound good anymore, I just want the cheesy, saucy meal in a bowl.

How is making Kraft mac easier or better than just boiling some macaroni or ziti and tossing with some butter or olive oil or both, much (already grated) romano, asaigio, and parm, s&p, and say garlic powder or pepperoncino?

(...)

It isn't, and 9 times out of ten I will do one of the above. Like everyone else mentionned above, KD is just a taste I grew up with and sometimes I find myself wanting it (like about once every couple of months). Also, I find it amazing how the exact same box can end up making so many different things when put into the hands of different people, and that's not even counting all the additions!

Adding green peppper and ground beef was mentionned upthread, this is widely known as "rocket fuel".

Would anybody here confess to putting ketchup in their Kraft Dinner? I've only seen it done a couple of times and frankly I can't imagine it being very good...

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I have the Kraft dinner once a month or so for the feel-good factor. And ketchup is almost always there: I squeeze a thin red ring around the mound of noodles and pull it in for each bite as needed. Looks very fancy, I'll take a pic next time.

As for additional ingredients there are few limits. I tried anchoivies from a jar once, the results were unremarkable. I find he union of cheese and seafood is a tricky one, in this case the wee fish were disrespected. I like a big yellow onion, a ton of garlic and some cayenne and cracked black pepper on top.

The low point for me (as a starving student) was finding "cheese dust" and discounted pasta at the Bulk Barn for an even more affordable fix.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Ok.. I have to ask.. What is Kraft Dinner.. Is it just Mac and Cheese.. Or is it an entire dinner containing Kraft Products.. From Salad Dressing on? When does it stop becoming Mac and Cheese and start becoming Dinner? Can one have Kraft Dinner for lunch?

Ok.. I have to ask.. What is Kraft Dinner.. Is it just Mac and Cheese.. Or is it an entire dinner containing Kraft Products.. From Salad Dressing on? When does it stop becoming Mac and Cheese and start becoming Dinner? Can one have Kraft Dinner for lunch?

Indeed, one can have it for lunch!

"Kraft dinner," I think, refers to the mac and cheese from the box, often dressed up with additions. Popular in my house were peas and cut-up hot dogs.

These days, I prefer it plain, when I do make it.

And I like the character noodles best. They hold the sauce better than the actual macaroni. :laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I love to make it with my 2.5 yr old Grandson when Mom and Nana are gone. We both use his little blue plastic bowls and eat while sitting on the couch, which Nana would not approve of! :laugh:

SB (and he puts Ketchup on his) :unsure:

(...)

It isn't, and 9 times out of ten I will do one of the above. Like everyone else mentionned above, KD is just a taste I grew up with and sometimes I find myself wanting it (like about once every couple of months). Also, I find it amazing how the exact same box can end up making so many different things when put into the hands of different people, and that's not even counting all the additions!

Adding green peppper and ground beef was mentionned upthread, this is widely known as "rocket fuel".

Would anybody here confess to putting ketchup in their Kraft Dinner? I've only seen it done a couple of times and frankly I can't imagine it being very good...

My whole family eats it like that. My brothers refuse to eat it without ketchup. Foodies they are not. The ketchup gives the mac n cheese a nice tang, although I prefer the velveeta shells & cheese... :raz:

I don't eat it very much these days but sometimes I crave it. As a nostalgia thing I guess.

I have been known to mix it with tuna & peas, for a quick "I don't want to think about food right now" dinner.

Today is going to be one of those days.....