• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate pots de creme

thebaker

Google it. I grabbed a random one off the web and it's excellent. I have the formula at work, found it at work so the link isn't highlighted on my computer at home, otherwise I'd direct you to it. I use Jivara milk chocolate.

I haven't done alot of comparisons with different recipes, but I've been happy with this one from Zuni Cafe (in SF):

click

As the recipe mentions, it is important not to overcook pots de creme. If you tilt the creme and it bulges a little in the middle that is a signal to take it out of the oven and let it finish cooking as it cools down. If you think they are just finished, you can cool them down more quickly in a water bath to stop the extra cooking.

I've used Guittard or Scharffenberger chocolate for this. Rodgers mentions that you can add some Cointreau or Frangelico as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

When I lived in the Bay Area one of my favorite desserts was the Bittersweet Chocolate Pot de Creme at the now closed 42 Degrees. Ann Walker was the pastry chef that created this recipe, for which it is very difficult to find a link. However, it was printed in the SF Chronicle food section years and years ago, and, Michael Bauer - Chron food editor - also printed it in his book Secrets of Success. That being said, here is the recipe, which is remarkably simple.

Bittersweet Chocolate Pot de Creme, 42 Degrees

14 Servings

4 Cups Heavy Cream

1 3/4 Cups Half & Half

1/2 Cup Sugar

Pinch of Salt

18 Egg yolks (yes, that's correct, 18 egg yolks, which is why it's so good :raz: )

12 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, Callebaut preferred, finely chopped

1 Tsp. Vanilla

1. Chop chocolate and place it in a large bowl and set aside.

2. Combine the heavy cream, half & half, 1/4 cup of the sugar and salt in a large sauce pan and bring to a simmer.

3. Add the remaining 1/4 of sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until well incorporated.

4. Temper the egg yolks by adding a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture to it, whisking well. Then pour tempered eggs into the hot cream and whisk.

5. Over medium heat stir mixture until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.

6. Pour thickened mixture over the reserved chocolate and add the vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate melts and cream mixture has been well incorporated. Strain through a sieve.

7. Pour into 8 oz. ramekins and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.

8. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream if desired.

* Callebaut chocolate really works best in this recipe according to Michael Bauer

** This is not exactly a traditional pot de creme in that it's not really a baked custard, it's really a range-top version. But the end result is the same and utterly delicious. This is without a doubt one of the all-time best chocolate desserts.

Anyone have a awesome recipe

thanks

Here's the one I use, it's a variation of a Maide Heatter recipe.

Pots de Creme au Chocolate

2 c heavy cream

6 - 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped

6 large or extra-large egg yolks

2 tbls sugar

pinch of salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F, tray in center

Stir the egg yolks slightly (do not beat until foamy)

Scald the cream, stir in the sugar pour over the chocolate, stir until melted and smooth in a double-boiler over simmering water.

Temper the eggs with a little of the chocolate mixture, Add the tempered eggs back into the chocolate mixture and stir in the vanilla. Return to the double boiler and stir constantly over low heat to slightly thicken, about 3 minutes.

Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a pitcher and fill your cups, leaving about 1" headroom. Place in a bain-marie, put in the oven and cover with a cookie sheet or foil. Bake 22 minutes, should be somewhat liquidy in the center when removed from the oven.

Cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for a few hours. They should firm up as they chill. Serve as is or with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.

Makes 6 or 7 2.5 - 3 oz servings.

The original recipe called for only 4 oz chocolate. I use Callebout's semi-sweet and like 6 - 7 oz of chocolate best. It's rich, smooth and satin-y, utterly delicious and not hard to make.