• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British Columbia Products in Saveur

jamiemaw

Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies and Sea Change Seafoods of Saltspring Island were both recognized by Saveur as entries in their annual '100 List'. Amusingly, before disclosing the ingredients of the sparkle cookies (Valrhona chocolate, European butter, and very strong blackberry honey), the headline reads: "What We Really Like About Canada". Sea Change was cited for its wild smoked salmon jerky that's "marinated and then smoked and dried - a process similar to one that has been used for centuries by West Coast American Indians".

Oh well.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Nice publicity but no mention of "C" Robert Clarkes retail products, Chocolate Arts, or B.C. wine :shock:

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

...don't think i've ever tried that salmon jerky.  where to get it in the lower mainland do you know?  i'll put it on my 'list' for the next box.

You can find Sea Change smoked salmon products at Vancouver airport. Likely that's where the writer picked it up! :cool:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

...Sea Change was cited for its wild smoked salmon jerky that's "marinated and then smoked and dried - a process similar to one that has been used for centuries by West Coast American Indians".

Oh well.

Sea Change describe their salmon jerky as "inspired by the traditional recipes of Canada's West Coast native peoples".

This is far more accurate than the (US-centric) Saveur description. "West Coast American Indians" includes Mexico's indigenous peoples - but salmon is not found off their Pacific coast. :biggrin:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies and Sea Change Seafoods of Saltspring Island were both recognized by Saveur as entries in their annual '100 List'. Amusingly, before disclosing the ingredients of the sparkle cookies (Valrhona chocolate, European butter, and very strong blackberry honey), the headline reads: "What We Really Like About Canada". Sea Change was cited for its wild smoked salmon jerky that's "marinated and then smoked and dried - a process similar to one that has been used for centuries by West Coast American Indians".

Oh well.

Searched for the rest of the Saveur 100 -- an annual list of favorite restaurants, food, drink, people, places and things online, and saw 43. Wild Smoked Salmon jerky – Washington? :unsure: Only 17. Chocolate Sparkle Cookies – Toronto and Vancouver, Canada mentions Canada. :sad:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I saw the Saveur thing a couple of weeks ago - and I thought it was too bad that they did not mention Thomas Hass by name (sacrilege!). Also the Sea Change mention glosses over specific discussion about the Salt Spring Island product - you have to look very closely at the picture to see where it is from.

What is really odd - that not more BC product made the list. The Saveur 100 list seemed a little sad this year - I mean deep fried buffalo wing style wontons (I kid you not) and Philly Cheesteak Spring Rolls (from the Philly Four Seasons) got big mentions.

What is really odd - that not more BC product made the list. 

I would love to know what products people think deserved a mention from BC (for a small project I am working on).

Nice to know when we're being fleeced for ideas :wink:

Tiger Blue Cheese - Poplar Grove

Goatgonzola & Carmel Cheese - Carmelli's

Peach Chipotle BBQ Sauce - Taste of the Okanagan

Bad Girl Chocolates

JJ Bean Coffee

Wine - too many to mention

Tomatoes - Stoney Paradise

Vanilla Pears - Chef Allemeier @ Mission Hill

Mint-Mango Chutney - Rangoli

I'm sure I'll think of more later ...

A.

Peach Chipotle BBQ Sauce - Taste of the Okanagan

would love to try this one. the scallops sound great too.

if i ever move back to YVR i think Okanagan would be the place to spend the rest of my days...so i could drink local wines and peach ciders every other day :wub: [and the other every other day i'd drink French, Aussie, NZ, Portuguese, SAfrica, Chile and the rest.