• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep fried boneless duck with Taro paste and sauce

Dim Sim

I have been searching this duck recipe for quite a few years, but with no result, I only even came across this dish in 3 restaurants, all in Melbourne , it is flat and boneless crispy duck and with taro paste underneath (much like the 'Wok Guk' pastry and all cut up like you would with red bean pancake ) with a corn starch thickened duck flavour sauce, it is fatty, crispy, and I just can't have enough, now I want to make it myself. anyone know the dish I am talking about ? ( I believe in some places they refer taro as yam, )

[...] it is flat and boneless crispy duck and with taro paste underneath  (much like the 'Wok Guk' pastry and all cut up like you would with red bean pancake ) with a corn starch thickened duck flavour sauce, it is fatty, crispy, and I just can't have enough, [...]

Is it served in a clay pot? There is a popular Cantonese clay pot dish called "Lei Wu Gnap Bo" [Cantonese]. It just means duck with taro in clay pot.

Do you have access to buy some Cantonese roast ducks? Or else you need to make the crispy duck as well for this dish.

Use about 1.5 lb of taro for 1/2 roast duck. Peel the taro and cut it into 2in x 1in pieces.

Heat up a clay pot, add some cooking oil. Add some minced garlic (4-5 gloves) and green onions (about 2-3 stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces). Add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of salt. Dash in 2-3 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. Add 1 tsp of brown bean sauce. Add the taro. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 cup of water and the juice from the roast duck. Bring to a quick boil. Then turn down the heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Stir occassionally (about every 5 minutes). Check the taro. When it first turns soft, it's about ready. Then add in corn starch slurry (about 1 to 2 tsp of corn starch to 2 tsp of water, adjust). Thicken the sauce. Then add the chopped roast duck into the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. Ready.

(Optional) Add some cilantro to the pot.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

s it served in a clay pot?  There is a popular Cantonese clay pot dish called "Lei Wu Gnap Bo" [Cantonese].  It just means duck with taro in clay pot.

no , hzrt8w it is not a clay pot dish, I suspect the duck is steam first, than debone, and somehow coax into a rectangular shape and stick some taro paste underneath and deep fry the lot, and cut into chop stick bite size and serve with some thickened duck flavoured jus/sauce.

might give the dish that you mentioned a try though, I will eat anything with taro in it. :laugh:

I don't have a recipe, but it's known as "Almond Duck" in a lot of Westernized Chinese restaurants -- or at least the ones my husband used to frequent when he lived in California. I never heard of it growing up in New York!

It's basically duck that has been cooked and deboned, cut into rectangles, coated with taro paste, and deep-fried until crispy. They usually then serve it with a sweet sauce and slivered almonds.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I don't remember the exact proportions, but the duck is halved lengthwise, marinated in salt and five spices(whole)wine, ginger and scallion, steamed until very tender, the bones carefully removed, and chilled under a weight. You then make quite a thick paste with plenty of wheat starch and some boiling water, which you mix with mashed steamed Taro, some ham,soaked dry shrimp and lard. The inner side of the duck is coated thickly with more starch, the paste spread over more starch applied to the whole assembly, then you chill again to set and deep-fry. sweet and sour sauce. It's pretty much the same mixture as woo kok. It's the sort of labour-intensive, rather hokey dish that's good to have in restaurants.

Coincidence - just had this last night at a family dinner at a Taiwanese Chinese restaurant here last night called New Formosa. So perhaps the dish has Taiwanese or perhaps Fujian origins. Dom Sim - maybe you can try tooking for it on Taiwanese cooking sites (not that I know any since I can't read Chinese :hmmm:)

Dim, which restaurants did you have them at?

shark fin Inn has it, but not the best version, the taro ( which they called it yam on the menu) is a bit fluffy and lacey like the deepfried taro dumplings (woo kok), which you can't taste much of the taro ( incidently I was just there tonight, felt a bit hungry after the free Sidney Myer Music Bowl concert, I ordered the duck , and off the chinese menu ,of sourse, I can't believe they still do it). Another place I used to have this dish was Hills BBQ shop ( I think that is what they are called) in Little Bourke Street, but they took it off the menu, they used to do a nice one,decent slap of taro paste, the place itself was filthy but I kept going back for the duck. that is why I am determine to make it myself. I don't think it is a difficult dish for restaurant. I would be surprise if they just use a roast duck and slap on a bit of the taro dumpling pastry and deep fry.

• 4 years later...