• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stupid Question about Seasoned Salt

Kim Shook

I just threw out a giant bottle of seasoned salt because I keep forgetting that I hate, hate, hate the stuff and using it when a recipe calls for it. It makes everything taste chemical, dusty and oddly dry to me. But when a recipe DOES call for it, I can't just leave it out. I know that it contains salt, sugar, turmeric, paprika in about that order. If I do leave it out, what should I replace it with? Does anyone else have this problem??

Regarding what seasoned salt contains, I think that depends entirely on what brand you're buying. My current preferred brand of seasoned salt contains "salt, garlic, black pepper and other spices."

But even with that fairly innocuous ingredient list, I don't use it all that often. Most generally, when a recipe calls for "seasoned salt," I just add salt in the amount called for, along with whatever herbs and spices I think would best compliment that particular dish.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

One spice that's often not named in the list of ingredients is celery salt. I find it has a distinctive flavor whenever tasting seasoned salt.

I suppose you could experiment and concoct your own version of seasoned salt so you wouldn't have to worry about the chemical flavor of the pre-packaged stuff.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There are so many brands of seasoned salt around, it's hard to tell what your problem with it is. Some are better (or worse) than others.

I like a sprinkle of Johnny's on my breakfast eggs. It contains: fine grain crystalline salt, msg, pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, and "spices".

My youngest daughter always goes into orbit when she sees me use it because of the msg.

As stated before, it all depends on the brand. Each one is different. In some instances, it does work. I'm somewhat of a fan of Tony Chacherie's mix, as it is perfect for a lot of the cooking that I do. I almost always tweak it a little anyway, using some of the packaged mix, then adding what I want to it. It's easy to do once you get the salt value right.

It is possible, with some searching, to find a brand that does not use MSG. It is also possible to make your own. Just pick the stuff you like, and don't forget the celery salt. That and a high percentage of paprika seem to be the key. You can put your own nuances on it after that.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.