• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

your best and worst greek food experience

athinaeos

This thread is of a recent trip to Hydra. Although, this is quite a touristy destination the food was of a pretty good standard for the most part. On thing that was quite obvious was that by comparing what was on sale at the grocers and what was offered at the taverna's, it was pretty clear that the home cooking was substantially different in character, especially regarding veg. and greens.

This thread is of a recent trip to Hydra. Although, this is quite a touristy destination the food was of a pretty good standard for the most part. On thing that was quite obvious was that by comparing what was on sale at the grocers and what was offered at the taverna's, it was pretty clear that the home cooking was substantially different in character, especially regarding veg. and greens.

The Hydra thread Adam is wonderful! Many thanks for the suggestion. Regarding greens and vegetables, they are a treasure all over Greece. For example, in Santorini they have white aubergine, in Tinos they have green aubergine. And as you say the rule is you cannot find them in restaurants and tavernas, except near the place where they grow.

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

My best and worst experiences with greek food would be some of experiences in the town and surroundings of Rethimno, Crete..

hector, it is very good to hear that honest Maria and her humble lamb saved the day for you!

when you visit Crete again, try to visit some of the villages in the mountains or away from the tourist centers of Crete

Well I was in the countryside alot and even drove on small mountain roads that wasn't on the map. Still anything I found out there wasn't as good as Marias cooking. Except a great café serving sweet cakes, coffee and stuff.