• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sirloin tips

Catherine Iino

My local upscale grocery store just started carrying Brandt aged beef. I had never heard of this brand before. When I looked at what they had today, the sirloin tip steaks actually looked the best-- well marbled, pretty strong grain--and were relatively inexpensive, so I bought a bunch. But I have never cooked this cut before. Any suggestions for how to cook it? I had been thinking of a braise, but when I got home and started researching, I discovered it's not supposed to be a good cut for braising. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you both; I'm sure grilling would work well. Today in Rhode Island, however, grilling was not an option. I ended up making Shaking Beef, using the Slanted Door Recipe that's on the web (obviously, replacing the filet mignon called for with the sirloin tips). Wondeful! I strongly suspect that the sirloin tips were actually an improvement; they had a really nice flavor and a bit of texture.

I have a few left; I'm thinking maybe fajitas tomorrow.

How about this:

- saute in oil and butter till crusty brown (high heat on a heavy skillet)

- remove to rest under foil

- saute chopped shallots and onions (enough to cover the tips) in skillet

- deglaze with white wine

- cook down

- add tips to heat through

- serve with a Cab Sauv or a nice juicy-bodied Pinot Noir

- forget about the salad :biggrin:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

We are using sirloin tips tonight for our stir fry. Fajitas also work well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Made a beef stroganoff with the rest--essentially PCL's suggestion, with mushrooms and some well-drained yogurt. Actually, I was going to do fajitas but had no limes. Brief cooking over very high heat and then a very quick braise seems to work fine.

I did learn something from my personal sirloin tip mini-seminar. I've never mastered the browning of cubed meat, even with heeding the admonitions to get the pan really hot, make sure the meat is really dry, allow space around the individual pieces, and so on. What I discovered is that using an adequate amount of oil makes a big difference. My tendency had been to use as little as possible, usually less than recipes call for, because the heaed oil seemed to coat the pan just fine. Last night I put in a good solid couple of tablespoons in each pan, divided the meat, and watched the pieces brown beautifully and quickly. Duplicated the results tonight. I'm thrilled!