• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Open That Bottle Night

Bill Miller

Anybody here do this---we love it. The idea is if you have a bottle of wine you have been saving but afraid to open---have a party (or an intimate dinner) and open that puppy up! Lots of fun and great stories in the paper afterward--like the guy coming up his cellar steps with an '05 Lafite and dropping it. H e said it was wonderful squeezed out of a towel (I'm not sure about the date but that is close).

We are having three couples over and all of us will furnish a bottle--main course will be veal rib chops Milanase (sp?). Be fun to get reports from anybody who participates. Regards, Bill

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Bill,

For what its worth, I do not save bottles for special events; when I want them, I drink them.

However, I try not to want those that I know will be better if I hold them.

Best, Jim

Do you never want a 10-15 year old Cab or Barolo? I can't find those in a store and probably couldn't afford them if I could.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

A bit more information on this for those not in the know. Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, who write the wine column for The Wall Street Journal, started "Open That Bottle Night" seven years ago. It takes place the last Saturday of February. You are supposed to open that bottle you've been saving, but never find an occasion worthy enough of said bottle. OTBN is, thus, the reason that's as good as any to open it.

It would be a fun thing to do on this forum.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Over in Beer they have "Friday the Firkenteenth".

I would suggest either have our own OTBN on Friday the Firkenteenth, or put up a Blue Moon calendar, and have OTBN once in a blue moon. (About every 20 months)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We did OTBN last year and had so much fun doing it. We invited one other couple over and opened up a '95 Chateau Giscours and an Tisbhi Reserve (Israel) from '98. Both wines were excellent and extremely different in character. I also designed a menu that would flatter the wines. It was a lovely evening. Good food and drink and wonderful company to share it with. Unfortunately, our friends have moved out of the country so we can't have a repeat.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs