• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bars for groups in old city

katbert

We hardly ever venture across the great psychological Center City divide of Broad street for my lab's happy hours. Any suggestions for places in Old City (not NLibs) with good fries that could deal with parties of 6-10 not eating dinner?

I think by that I mean, places with a fair amount of space- in CCWest we go to Ten Stone, Nodding Head, sometimes upstairs at Good Dog b/c they can take groups better than say downstairs at Good Dog or Grace Tavern. Basically, I would like Standard Tap, but in Old City.

(Aside: had fries at Monk's last night and they were ehhhh not crispy enough.)

North 3rd is a great place, but of course not in old city. The Black Door is a great place for happy hour, and their fries are among the best I've had in the city, though they are a little uneven. Better than Monk's or Eulogy, at any rate. It's slightly south of Old City (2nd and Bainbridge), but if you usually go to Ten Stone it's easy to get there, just keep going down South st.

My new hot bar in town is the re-opened Society Hill Hotel at 3rd and Chestnut. Food and beers and wines all top notch. And comfy room to hang casually.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

And comfy room to hang casually.

To me, this room isn't the same without Ted Gerike on the piano. It wasn't Bobby Short at the Carlisle, but Ted made the old SHH a destination for me.

As the Starr empire shows, it's not always about the food.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Try Patou at 312 Market Street. The bar is spacious and the food is solid -- Provencal style -- just in case you decide to make a meal of it. The ambience is more high-toned than at Grace, Standard Tap, etc., but it's still casual and comfortable.

Edited by David McDuff (log)