• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the big birthday bash

makanmakan

A friend of mine is having a big 4-0 birthday bash and still hasn't come up with a location yet. So here I am, putting the word out to see if any of the brilliant gulleters can come up with any suggestions!

Here are some of her needs, in her own words. :wink:

My goal is:

-- fits 70 people without being in each others armpits if ya know what i mean

-- ambience (i;m sure you know what i mean)

-- booze with a little tapas ...no sit down dinner. Some tables and couches

might help though...):

-- full bar at decent prices (i've learned to ask what their bar prices

are....) including tequila and kettle one vodka for martinis

-- ability to DJ myself

-- truly a private function (ie not cordoned off by a curtain or something

ridiculous like that)

-- and the big kicker NO ROOM RENTAL FEE. I am willing to

pay up to $500 if the space is pretty decent and feels right. For some places

FREE is difficult to do on a saturday night , ie Feb 18th

-- also my dream was somewhere downtown

Thoughts???

Thanks, muchly.

Quentina

Balthazar fits most requirements, I think - they have two rooms though - would you consider 'owning' one room and let the other one be public? We've had staff events there that have been great fun . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I had my birthday party at the Shebeen;, Sean just charged for the food (brilliant appies/tapas) and for the booze. You could also look at the Alibi Room, they have a private section downstairs (lounge atomsphere) with DJ equipment. The new chef is pretty talented.

Sugar and Sugar is a great spot but expensive to buy out. You could also try "Curious" that just opened around the corner from our loft. They have a private room downstairs that is very "Wallpaper" like in design.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We were recently invited to a private, catered party at the University Womens Club. It's a bit run down - but a splendid property nevertheless. I understand they will rent space to private groups - and will also cater - or you can arrange the catering seperately. The cost is very reasonable - but you would do best to check this with them directly.

After a few drinks the slight tattiness of the place disappears, and you suddenly find yourself in one of this city's finest old mansions. Worth checking out.

That's a tough request. I'd think you'd have to book the whole place and that costs. But I seem to remember an arrangement at Shebeen for my own 40th that involved no or minimal room fee but a minimum per person of eating and drinking. And at that age your friends will likely drink the minimum just as a warm up.

I also recall having a good party at the Alibi Room. That can hold a crowd pretty well.

I'm intrigued by the suggestions because I'm in the same

situation with a milestone birthday (not mine) but am thinking Whistler.

I want to throw in a slight bonus: I want to rent a Porsche

to drive up the Sea to Sky for the big night. Anyone know if

there are luxury car dealers that rent Porsches for the weekend

without mortgaging the homestead?

thanks to all that's thrown in suggestions, so far.

shebeen and curious sound great!

for some reason, she's nixed the alibi room. :rolleyes: i might have to talk her into that as it is a great space.....now, hopefully they've fixed all their plumbing problems!

as far as a minimum spent per person, it shouldn't be a problem as it's a big group of drink happy people!

looking forward to more.....

cheers!

Quentina

• 2 weeks later...