• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tab

ludja

click

As if the mainstream media were not beleaguered enough, now comes word that the Coca-Cola Company is about to release a new drink called Tab Energy. The plan is to capitalize on the popularity of the Red Bull genre while trading on the retro cachet of Tab, with those iconic pink cans—a plan that could threaten the sanctity of one of journalism’s secret, and most self-conscious, power cliques: the cult of Tab lovers, who have persisted in drinking the pioneering diet soda, despite its virtual disappearance from the market.

The article also mentions that the original Tab, which debuted in 1963 is still available although not very easy to find after Coke stopped marketing it in the eighties after scares regarding the potential carcinogenicity of saccharin surfaced. Much of the article also speaks of the minor cult status that Tab still has for some people and that they will go to extreme measures to keep a supply of Tab on hand.

and

At the end of last term, Isaacs threw a party for his students, at which he served Tab. “I was surprised at how many of them drank it,” he said. “One was putting Scotch in it. I mean, that sounds fucking awful.” Isaacs no longer drinks alcohol, for health reasons, but he doesn’t much mind, because he thinks that the flinty taste of Tab is like a fine Sancerre.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 months later...

I'm drinking some right now. It tastes like weird, fruity bubblegum and it's light pink.

Does this mean they've phased out the original Tab? Because I kind of liked it.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

• 1 month later...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks it has hints of cucumber in it. Kind of like cucumber-flavored bubble gum. I was hoping to like this, since I hate Red Bull. Maybe it'll taste better mixed with vodka (what doesn't?).

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine