• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic Press: Is there a "Best?"

A Patric

A lot of people prefer using a knife or microplane grater.  I've done that but still like using a garlic press.  I've had several over the years, and they've all had one thing or another I didn't like about them--small capacity, finish that wears away, hard to clean, weak hinges, parts that detach and have to be located, garlic pushed to places other than the holes, among other failings.

I think I've finally found one that gets pretty close to satisfaction.  It's the Joseph Joseph Helix.  Interesting design. We'll see how durable it is, but so far the only couple of nitpicks I have are that the cloves need to be peeled and it's not 100% at pushing the garlic through the holes(but still not too bad at that.)

https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-us/helix-garlic-press

I've had my Kuhn Rickon Epicurean just short of ten years, according to amazon.  I found a 2013 post of mine in a garlic thread where I said I'd had it five.  It's one of the few tools that has earned a place living in my drainer.  I seldom if ever wash it.

Now I'm wondering how it might work for ginger.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/8/2011 at 4:43 PM, zeffer81 said:

I was actually gifted this wheely contraption. I thought it was ridiculous--I'm a knife purest--but it's actually kind of cool when I need larger amounts.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread!  Now, I totally want this!!  :P