• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY style Pizza ANYWHERE?

ken212

Hello...

I have been here for over 6 months. I would say over these past 6 months I have been searching all around for pizza that is somewhat close to what I used to enjoy in NY. I have seen many plastic pizzas that look great, but upon receiving the actual pizza, been disappointed on many occasions.

Does anyone know of any places that serve pizza that taste somewhat close to what you would find in NY. I know theres NYers on here that probably share the same feeling I do, or know of where to satisfy the craving.

You guys are my only hope...

While I'm on it....

Anyone know of a good Pastrami joint?

Bagels? not a soft roll with a hole in the middle, but a real NYC style bagel...?

How about an American style Hero (sub, hoagie, etc) shop, other than SUBWAY

or a good BBQ joint (pref. North Carolina style...)

I'm asking alot, right...?

I'm dying here.

Yes you are asking a lot!! :biggrin:

Having never been to NY I can't be sure of exactly what you are looking for but I recently ate the best pizza I have ever had in this country. It was a napoli style pizza and a wonderful new shop quite close to my house. The restaurant is called Papariina and there are only 2 shops both in Yokohama. I would second Peter's suggestion and look for Napoli style pizza it seems to be one of the newest booms, at least in my neighborhood where two other shops have opened.

I don't like pastrami so can't help there.

I have pretty much given up on bagels and now I just buy the cheap ones at Costco because my kids like them.

Have you tried Dean & Deluca for either of these?

Here is the previous Dean & Deluca thread, I was there a when it opened and found the prices ridiculous even for Japan, but if you want something bad enough....

Subs...

These are one of the first things I eat when I go to the US. The Subway near my house closed many years back and I actually miss it! I really would love a sandwich I can actually sink my teeth into.

BBQ,

God, you are making me want to move back to the US. When I get a BBQ craving I usually just make it myself now. In the past my husband and I used to go to Tony Roma's or even TGIFriday's :shock: when the craving hit, but now we just do it at home. Yesterday I picked up 2 racks of baby back ribs at Costco... :biggrin:

EDITED to say welcome to eGullet and the Japan Forum!!

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I think I've mentioned this before, but a lot of the bagels sold in Japan are actually imported frozen from the States.

Besides, the best bagels are actually from Montreal.:raz:

Napoli-style pizza has been a trend in Japan for at least 15 years, no?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Hey guys - I've got some time to kill so i'm going to help you all out - I'm NYer born and bred, lived in Japan 2000-2001, and return frequently. Hi.

Most pizza sucks terribly in Tokyo. And then there is pizza-la and pizza hut everywhere -

You'll never get the real deal pizza or bagel because of the water and climate.

A slice as you know it is rarely found, the only thing barely edible I can think of was GasPanic in Roppongi (the original) sells slices to their drunkards.

There are 2 pizza places that are very good in Akasaka but I can't find their meishi. One is if you come from Roppongi-dori towards TBS building, making a left at Ultraman, it's about 1km in that direction. They specialize in cracker-thin pizzas that are DELICIOUS and the chef was an iron chef challenger. The other is in the other direction, it's a B1F Italian restaurant, white clothe tables.

Wish I could get more specific but this is enough information to locate either - you might ask the koban or people in akasaka when you get there...

Maybe a local can help me out with names here....

Also on that same road between Roppongidori and the TBS biru is a "NY Bagel Cafe" -

I'm going back twice by July, so if you're nice to me, I live 2 blocks away from the H&H Factory, I can flash-freeze and bring you an emergency shipment, because, I can totally sympathisize -

my advice LEARN TO LOVE THE RAMEN

Torakris... Thanks for the tip. I will try to check it out. I am in Yokohama as well, so hopfully it isnt too far from where I am.

So you say the best restaurants for BBQ are Tony Romas or TGIFs?... oh well. I better start learning to make my own BBQ pork.

Do you have any recommendations of your favorite Yokohama eating spots (pref. inexpensive places... nothing fancy) I would appreciate any advice.

Also is Costco the best place to buy "American" groceries? How much is the membership? Easy access by trains?

Thanks again....

Maaan... H&H bagels sure would hit the spot. 

Thanks for the info on the pizza places. I will go on a mission sometime to track them down.

Ramen... it is one of the reasons why I am here.

Thanks for everyones advice. I am on a mission and will report back with any successful findings.

I went to a chain place LA PAUSA over the weekend, and tried their mini Margharita Pizza.... I still have a way to go, but must say the sauce was pretty good. Just wished there was a little bit more of it. The crust was crunchy, but somehow managed to look like raw dough, and tasted like a cracker. BUT I'd go back if the craving hit.

Beggars cant be choosers, right?

Your best bet for Southern Style BBQ would actually be at the Hard Rock Cafe for their "Pig Sandwich". I had it at their Osaka CityWalk location a few months ago and it was quite authentic.

http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes/sm...se.aspx?lc=TOKY

As for pizza, the local style Japanese pizza is usually made with a cracker-thin crust very similiar to NYC Style. The problem will come in regards to the toppings and sauce....corn & mayo!

If you have access to any of the US Bases around Tokyo you'll be able to get some tastes of home at their various restaurants.

There is a place called David's Deli which lists Pastrami & Corned Beef as specialites. It is in Mita and you can find it online at another website.

Also, Nathan's famous opened up in Harajuku with authentic Coney Island Hot Dogs.

Hello...

I have been here for over 6 months. I would say over these past 6 months I have been searching all around for pizza that is somewhat close to what I used to enjoy in NY. I have seen many plastic pizzas that look great, but upon receiving the actual pizza, been disappointed on many occasions.

Does anyone know of any places that serve pizza that taste somewhat close to what you would find in NY. I know theres NYers on here that probably share the same feeling I do, or know of where to satisfy the craving.

You guys are my only hope...

While I'm on it....

Anyone know of a good Pastrami joint?

Bagels? not a soft roll with a hole in the middle, but a real NYC style bagel...?

How about an American style Hero (sub, hoagie, etc) shop, other than SUBWAY

or a good BBQ joint (pref. North Carolina style...)

I'm asking alot, right...?

I'm dying here.

Kua A'in has GREAT burgers!!! Love that place. Used to go to the one near Aoyama Gakuin all the time -

OK so I think in a show of respect my former company found me an apartment right near "NY Deli" in Akasaka. While diminuitive and overpriced, it was decent.

Here's a good writeup and lemme tell you, none of these places would survive a minute in NY, so be it -

So I guess I should save up and open a combination Katz's/Ess-a-Bagel and I would be a rich man...

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tokyo/442/dining.asp

Now thats what I'm talkin about! I'm gonna check these places out this weekend... I learned to set my expectations waaay down, but I know these places are probably better than the random "wannabees" I'd probably stumble along on my own.

Good lookin out!

Katz and Ess-a-Bagel would kill here, without a doubt. I'd most def. be a frequent patron. And I know there would be many others that would feel the same way.

You gonna offer discounts to New Yorkers right?!?

Kua A'in has GREAT burgers!!! Love that place. Used to go to the one near Aoyama Gakuin all the time -

OK so I think in a show of respect my former company found me an apartment right near "NY Deli" in Akasaka. While diminuitive and overpriced, it was decent.

Here's a good writeup and lemme tell you, none of these places would survive a minute in NY, so be it -

So I guess I should save up and open a combination Katz's/Ess-a-Bagel and I would be a rich man...

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tokyo/442/dining.asp

Ken,

Make sure you report back with all of your finds!!

I especially want to know about good BBQ. I actually had the Pig Sandwich that Chris mentioned from the Hard Rock Cafe and it was really good, it has been years though.

Kua 'aina is a great place, I just wish there was one closer to me. :sad:

This thread on Hamburgers in Tokyo discusses it some.

I guess after 11 years here I have given up on looking for certain things, Maybe it is time for me to get out more and start looking again. :biggrin:

I guess after 11 years here I have given up on looking for certain things, Maybe it is time for me to get out more and start looking again. :biggrin:

Yup, there are certain things that are just impossible to get here, so you learn to either make them yourself or do without. I think Japan and especially Tokyo has a terrific selection of food, and feel lucky to live here. That said, I really miss pierogies and (Jamaican) hot patties. I don't suppose anyone has seen them in Tokyo?

Perhaps we should turn this into a "Where can I find ____ in Japan?" thread, and see if there's any way to satisfy those repressed cravings.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

That said, I really miss pierogies and (Jamaican) hot patties. I don't suppose anyone has seen them in Tokyo?

Not in Tokyo, but when I lived in Tochigi I used to see them fairly often. Except only at my house, whenever I made them. :biggrin:

Actually, now that I'm in Nishinomiya, I still make pierogi (just finished off the last 6 of the last batch I made) but haven't made patties in ages. I've wanted to, but have been too lazy. There are a couple of Jamaican restaurants in Kobe and I've been meaning to see if they have patties. Maybe they do mail order?

edited to fix my tags

Edited by prasantrin (log)

That said, I really miss pierogies and (Jamaican) hot patties. I don't suppose anyone has seen them in Tokyo?

Not in Tokyo, but when I lived in Tochigi I used to see them fairly often. Except only at my house, whenever I made them. :biggrin:

Actually, now that I'm in Nishinomiya, I still make pierogi (just finished off the last 6 of the last batch I made) but haven't made patties in ages. I've wanted to, but have been too lazy. There are a couple of Jamaican restaurants in Kobe and I've been meaning to see if they have patties. Maybe they do mail order?

edited to fix my tags

I did make patties a few years ago, and they were nice. But I'm not very good at making pastry, and they just didn't have the right flaky texture. So eating them made me crave the real thing even more.

I guess it just takes practice, so I should keep trying (any hints would be highly appreciated). And I'll have to try making pierogies too.

The thing is, with other hard-to-find foods it's obvious why they're not more popular (real bagels are too firm and chewy, fresh cranberries, lingonberries etc are too tart, mutton and goat are too gamey and so on). But there's no reason at all why Japanese people wouldn't like patties or pierogies. So I keep hoping someone will introduce them and they'll become popular.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Ken, have you considered making your own pizza?

I don't subscribe to the theory that great pizza comes from the right water. Having lived in New Jersey for 25 years and Manhattan for 10, I can say that both Jersey water and New York water make phenomenal NYC style pizza (in the right hands).

Japanese water will be fine. The tricky part will be finding the right flour.

Still, I'm certain it can be done. It is my belief that any self respecting New Yorker, regardless of baking experience, would have enough drive to create a NYC style pizza that was better than something you'd describe as "cracker like." Where there's a will, there's a way :)

As far as the bagels are concerned... I wouldn't recommend a DIY approach to those. Whatever leads you get, I'd call them first before you go. Ask them if they make the bagels on premises. Ask them if it's a 'water' bagel, if boiling the bagels is part of the process. If they use high protein wheat flour/malt flour. If they get confused by any of the terminology/processes, hang up.

Hey Scott,

Yeah the thought did cross my mind, but I think an even bigger hurdle would be finding a right size oven. unfortunately I dont have a large (at least U.S. size) oven in my apt. And I dont think I've even seen any here that would be considered large. They all seem like little fish broiler style.

By the way.... Does the tomato/spaghetti sauces here taste "sweeter" than back home for any reason. I used some tomato sauce when I first arrived here and it just tasted awful.

Thanks...

Also is Costco the best place to buy "American" groceries? How much is the membership? Easy access by trains?

It really depends on what you are looking for and how much storage space you have.

Here is the post with all of the Costco locations

I do my shopping for foreign ingredients at a variety of stores.

If there are some ingredients in particular that you are looking for just ask, we should be able to help. :biggrin:

I recently found this article about a shop in Asakusa called New York Deli.

from the article:

ABOUT OUR FOODS

Meats: The quick answer: Yes, on our pastrami sandwiches we use authentic New York deli mustard and no mayonnaise. Pastrami in New York is smoked salt-cured brisket with ginger, garlic, coriander, pepper and other spices on it. I haven't found any other pastrami of this quality in Japan. Kosher meat inspectors, as you may have heard, are not only responsible to the USDA but to higher authorities as well, and use no preservatives. Our strictly kosher Brooklyn importer of pastrami and turkey also supplies many famous New York delis.

I can't find too much else about the shop on the web though...

I did find this mention of it, talking about their NY style bagels. Hey, two birds with one stone. :biggrin: (this link also has great information on bagel shops, all in Japanese though)

I also found a blog mention of the shop that was dated 10/05.

I wonder if the ban on the import of US beef has stopped them from selling their pastrami though.

Wow Kristin....

This deli sounds like the real deal. Thanks for finding the article.

I am definitely going to look into this,

although I am not going to expect them to have it, with the ban on US meat.

BUT Bagels on the other hand...

RE:BBQ... I walked by the Hard Rock Cafe by my office in MinatoMirai, and they have the BBQ Pork Sandwich.... 1800YEN... GULP. Well I know I will crack sometime soon, I hope its somewhat worth it.

I recently found this article about a shop in Asakusa called New York Deli.

RE:BBQ... I walked by the Hard Rock Cafe by my office in MinatoMirai, and they have the BBQ Pork Sandwich.... 1800YEN... GULP. Well I know I will crack sometime soon, I hope its somewhat worth it.

Wow! it was not that much when I ate, I would never pay that much for a sandwich. The last time I was at the Hard Rock Cafe was almost 9 years ago so prices must really have gone up. I really remember it because I was very pregnant with my second daughter and she was kicking up a storm and I was really worried I was doing serious damage to her ears, that place was so loud.

It is not worth 1800 yen, let's keep looking! :biggrin:

As for pizza, the bottom of this article mentions some places they like. Mostly Napoli style.

The last one they mention, Sabatini, has a shop on the 10th floor of the Yokohama Sogo building. I don't remember if they serve pizza or not at this one, but the food is excellent anyway. I have only been there for lunch so I am not sure of what their dinner prices are like.

• 2 weeks later...

As for pizza, the bottom of this article mentions some places they like. Mostly Napoli style.

Like other posters, I don't know what New York-style pizza is, but Isola does (at a price) some extremely fine pizza.

Given that no city on earth can cater to all needs (not even New York) I think Tokyo does exceptionally well on availability of ingredients, for those who cook, and on the quality of restaurants and bars. The trick is to look for what's there, not for what's missing: when you learn to do that, you'll realize you're in one of the world's best food cities.