• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tia Pol

jm chen

I was a tourist in NYC last weekend -- not for the first time, and not for the last -- and tapas at Tia Pol in Chelsea felt very New York to me. A small, dark restaurant full of wonderful smells and delicious food. Two of us ate at the bar for $40. I'd recommend it to anyone, and as a visitor, it felt like something I couldn't get at home (for me, Washington DC -- which has excellent food but nothing quite like that.)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I was a tourist in NYC last weekend -- not for the first time, and not for the last -- and tapas at Tia Pol in Chelsea felt very New York to me. A small, dark restaurant full of wonderful smells and delicious food. Two of us ate at the bar for $40. I'd recommend it to anyone, and as a visitor, it felt like something I couldn't get at home (for me, Washington DC -- which has excellent food but nothing quite like that.)

I haven't been or even heard of Tia Pol before, but I'm surprised by your statement when you have excellent tapas at Jaleo in D.C. What made it so special?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I haven't been or even heard of Tia Pol before, but I'm surprised by your statement when you have excellent tapas at Jaleo in D.C. What made it so special?

I've had breakfast/brunch a couple of time at Tia Pol. I enjoyed the first one enough to return, but somehow enjoyed the second visit even more. Perhaps it was just knowing better what and how to order. Both times however, I was struck by the fact that the normal tapas menu (not served on weekends at brunch time) looked even better. In my opinion, what distinguishes Tia Pol from Jaleo is not a superior quality--if anything Jaleo is far more intersting and offers more accomplished food (although note I haven't had the range of tapas at Tia Pol)--but the fact that Tia Pol is exceptionally informal and comes off as a neighborhood spot rather than a destination. The bar has obviously been built on a budget and all of the seating is at stools, whether at the bar or the high tables. Jaleo is rather luxurious by comparison. Tia Pol is also quite small and much more of a word of mouth might ruin it. It's also the kind of place that will delight most of the people who discover it, but also the kind of place that might prove disappointing at the onset by those responding to too much hype. I also believe it doesn't take reservations which makes it unreliable as a destination. There's one table that seats four or maybe six. The rest might accommodate three at the most.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I've had breakfast/brunch a couple of time at Tia Pol. I enjoyed the first one enough to return, but somehow enjoyed the second visit even more. Perhaps it was just knowing better what and how to order. Both times however, I was struck by the fact that the normal tapas menu (not served on weekends at brunch time) looked even better. In my opinion, what distinguishes Tia Pol from Jaleo is not a superior quality--if anything Jaleo is far more intersting and offers more accomplished food (although note I haven't had the range of tapas at Tia Pol)--but the fact that Tia Pol is exceptionally informal and comes off as a neighborhood spot rather than a destination. The bar has obviously been built on a budget and all of the seating is at stools, whether at the bar or the high tables. Jaleo is rather luxurious by comparison. Tia Pol is also quite small and much more of a word of mouth might ruin it. It's also the kind of place that will delight most of the people who discover it, but also the kind of place that might prove disappointing at the onset by those responding to too much hype. I also believe it doesn't take reservations which makes it unreliable as a destination. There's one table that seats four or maybe six. The rest might accommodate three at the most.

It sounds loke a Donostia pintxos bar. Do they serve Txocoli?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes, I think they do (although the tapas aren't all San Sebastian style). They also have a decent range of sherries (and a sherry cocktail with, I think, lemon soda, which tastes better than it sounds).

Bux is absolutely right that this is the kind of place that's great to come upon if you're in the neighborhood anyway, but would probably disappoint you a bit if you went there with the highest of high expectations. I should also add, for emphasis, that I've been unable to get seated there (at least without a 45 minute wait) at least as often as I've been able to be seated.

If you do go, to me the two superstar tapas are the roasted green peppers with sea salt and the chorizo on bread with chocolate sauce.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I was going to mention how different Jaleo is but figured most people have not been to both. Jaleo does indeed have excellent tapas -- I love their chorizo and their croquettes in particular -- but it is a loud, bright, convivial atmosphere. As is Zaytinya, which is a little more elegant and more Turkish/Greek in their flavors.

Tia Pol is much smaller and more intimate, a bit more rustic in the preparation of the food. The day's specials are chalked up behind the bar. And yes, we had a half-hour wait at 6:30 on a Saturday, which I should have mentioned.

It made the Top 100 list in New York Magazine so the hype vs. delivery question may become even more of a problem for them.

One learns something new everyday. I will have to keep Tia Pol in mind, especially as I very much like both Jaleo and Casa Mono.

Twitter - @docsconz

My +1 enjoyed the deviled eggs (3 for $3.) We also dug into lamb skewers, patatas bravas, chorizo y jerez, chorizo con chocolate, and paquetitos de jamon. I had a glass of sangria ($7) while I was waiting so that wasn't included in the $40 price tag, though that does include tax and tip.

Similarly, I prefer Tia Pol to Casa Mono.  Meaning I enjoy Tia Pol more, have a better time when I go there.  Even though I would have a hard time contending that the food at Tia Pol is better than the food at Casa Mono.

Such is life. Separating subjective appeal from an objective analysis is difficult, but useful. I may have had a better time eating an adouillette in a brasserie in Paris than eating dinner at Ducasse, and a better time bar hopping in San Sebastian than at most of the multistarred restaurants in the area, but I understand the difference and am willing to pay much more for it. Of course there are those who have a better time eating at McDonald's than at Ducasse, but that's not what we're talking about here. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

I went last week for the first time and had a super enjoyable experience. The owner, Mani(?) should get a trophy for best host. Without ever seeing me before (or Nathan) she came over with a big smile and encouraged us to sample wines before choosing. A few minutes later she came over with a sheri she liked and poured us 2 nice samples then she did it again later w/a different one. (4 nice pours btwn us). Not to mention the creative tapas is among the best I've had in NY. We had the fried chickpeas, fava bean sprd, crostini w/chocolate sc and chorizo, lamb skewers and a couple more. What's cool is several items have small/lrg option so you can try more. I really like this place.

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

I love Spanish food and find that NYC is lacking in that area. Of the few, Tia Pol is my favorite Tapas bar, Suba my favorite restaurant (and there is a difference between a restaurant and a tapas bar) and Casa Mono my favorite "Spanishish" bistro (its not authentic Spanish, the food is good, the wine list very good, but like all Mario restaurants, its a mirage of the real thing).

What Tia Pol does best is represent the meaning of Tapas. Its first come, first served. You eat as little or as much as you like. There are several beverages to choose from in whatever format you wish and the ambiance is casual. I go as often as I can and don't want to see it ruined by the wannabe "foodies" looking for a scene.

Tia Pol rocks! Every single dish out of the ten or so I tried last time I went was extraordinary, including one dish consisting of thinly sliced chorizo on slices of baguette with bitter chocolate. Chocolate and chorizo...whoda thunk it?

Nothing to see here.

Tia Pol rocks!  Every single dish out of the ten or so I tried last time I went was extraordinary, including one dish consisting of thinly sliced chorizo on slices of baguette with bitter chocolate.  Chocolate and chorizo...whoda thunk it?

Sounds like a Sam Mason dessert to me! :laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz

I love Spanish food and find that NYC is lacking in that area.  Of the few, Tia Pol is my favorite Tapas bar, Suba my favorite restaurant (and there is a difference between a restaurant and a tapas bar) and Casa Mono my favorite "Spanishish" bistro (its not authentic Spanish, the food is good, the wine list very good, but like all Mario restaurants, its a mirage of the real thing).

What Tia Pol does best is represent the meaning of Tapas.  Its first come, first served.  You eat as little or as much as you like.  There are several beverages to choose from in whatever format you wish and the ambiance is casual.  I go as often as I can and don't want to see it ruined by the wannabe "foodies" looking for a scene.

FWIW, this is EXACTLY why I prefer Tia Pol to Casa Mono.

(It's always great when some other poster articulates perfectly some thought you've been having trouble getting down.)

Tia Pol is great, but very, VERY busy. I had a great meal at Las Ramblas, a newish tapas joint on W. 4th right off of Sixth. Very knowledgable staff (knew the provenance of all of the olives in the olive plate) and great food (the rabbit with mushroom special was outstanding). Great sangria, too - red wine w/pear sangria was fantastic. Limited wines by the glass, but a better bottle selection.

Also, just recently went to Tintol on 46th for Portuguese tapas - wasn't as impressed but it was also very good - great Portuguese wine list. Service (I believe he may have been Colombian) was a bit less professional but it's great for the location (Times Square).

Similarly, I prefer Tia Pol to Casa Mono.  Meaning I enjoy Tia Pol more, have a better time when I go there.  Even though I would have a hard time contending that the food at Tia Pol is better than the food at Casa Mono.

ouch

i dont think that the food of casa mono is in the same league as tia pol

the conception and execution of tia pol is pretty flawless in that they acheive 100% of what they aim for; i didnt get the feeling that either the identity or execution of mono was particularly strong

Chorizo and chocolate is not all that unrelated to classic tastes. Chocolate with meat is well represented by Mexican mole sauces. Spain, and all of Europe for that matter, got chcocolate from Mexico (or pre-Mexican Central America). Spain was one of the first European countries to taste chocolate and thus has a history of its use as an ingredient in unsweetened dishes.

I've had chocolate as an ingredient in French meat stews and braised meat dishes, as well as in rillettes and with foie gras. Most memorable was a hare stew with shards of bitter chocolate in the sauce. I believe bitter chocolate is part of the traditional recipe for lièvre à la royale. I also recall a sandwich of pâté de foie gras with onion marmelade and chocolate spread on a baguette once.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

tia pol is one of the best new restaurants in nyc imho

and also the only actual tapas bar

jaleo is a great tapas bar in dc and would probably do very well here, but the production/service is designed for a factor of 10 more daily than tia pol

. . . .

the conception and execution of tia pol is pretty flawless in that they acheive 100% of what they aim for; i didnt get the feeling that either the identity or execution of mono was particularly strong

As someone who enjoys watching softball games in Central Park, I don't want to get wrapped up in ranking restaurants or tapas bars by league--at leasat not right now--but I'm one of those who believe the food at Casa Mono is stonger in many respects than the food at Babbo, pastas excepted.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

ouch

This is an astonishingly interesting post, and ties in with a thread Pan started in the "General" section on comparing restaurants.

First -- although this may seem like backpedalling on my part (it's tough for an amateur to be disagreed with by a professional he respects enormously) -- I don't think we even disagree about the two places. I think you're articulating why Tia Pol is prefereable in a different (and better) way than I did.

But second, it's an interesting question whether a restaurant is to be judged by the extent to which it "achieves" what it "aims for" (I'm practicing for a spot in the Per Se "menu" "composition" "department"), or by some more absolute standard. I generally incline toward the former (i.e., the extent to which it attains its goals) -- but only if it is understood that those goals are to be discerned (in a sort of "New Criticism" way) (you "start" with these "scare quotes" and "suddenly" you "can't" "stop" "using" "them") by analyzing the objective circumstances, as opposed to talking to the owners or the chef, or attempting to psychoanalyze them from afar.

That said, though, it's still possible that a place will fully "achieve" its "goals" but still not be as good IN ONE RESPECT OR ANOTHER as another place that has different goals or is less successful overall. What I was trying to say about Tia Pol vis-a-vis Casa Mono is that the food at Casa Mono is more ambitious than that at Tia Pol -- and for the most part I think the food (qua food) at Casa Mono succeeds (although not as completely as the food at Tia Pol succeeds at what it is striving for). Now I don't respect what Casa Mono is striving for as much as I respect what Tia Pol is striving for. But, objectively, I'd have a hard time asserting to this board that the food at Tia Pol is "better."

Did that post say anything? Anything coherent? I almost feel like I ought to treat anyone who actually finished it to a chorizo con chocolate and a sherry at Tia Pol.

And everybody should read and contribute to Pan's "General" thread on this topic. (My attempt was pretty lame.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Chorizo and chocolate is not all that unrelated to classic tastes. Chocolate with meat is well represented by Mexican mole sauces. Spain, and all of Europe for that matter, got chcocolate from Mexico (or pre-Mexican Central America). Spain was one of the first European countries to taste chocolate and thus has a history of its use as an ingredient in unsweetened dishes.

I've had chocolate as an ingredient in French meat stews and braised meat dishes, as well as in rillettes and with foie gras. Most memorable was a hare stew with shards of bitter chocolate in the sauce. I believe bitter chocolate is part of the traditional recipe for lièvre à la royale. I also recall a sandwich of pâté de foie gras with onion marmelade and chocolate spread on a baguette once.

I've certainly had savory dishes before where chocolate was among the ingredients, but I've never had anything where it was paired so directly as it was with the chorizo. Perhaps that's why it came as such a suprise. I'm used to seeing it in the context of items like mole, where it's with a malange of different ingredients and it's presence is a little more subtle.

Nothing to see here.

[...]Did that post say anything?  Anything coherent?  I almost feel like I ought to treat anyone who actually finished it to a chorizo con chocolate and a sherry at Tia Pol.

And everybody should read and contribute to Pan's "General" thread on this topic.  (My attempt was pretty lame.)

Don't give yourself such a hard time. :laugh:

I understood your points pretty easily.

Michael aka "Pan"