• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

can you re-use bonito flakes and kombu

halloweencat

in the creation of miso soup, bonito flakes and komba are staples in creating the dashi (which is a term analagous to basic stock, i think...please correct me if i'm misinformed).

my question is, if bonito and kale are used for flavor, can they be re-used in another batch (for example, one recipie for miso soup that i have requires both these ingredients to be added then removed from the soup during the making).

thanks and cheers in advance --

hc

in the creation of miso soup, bonito flakes and komba are staples in creating the dashi (which is a term analagous to basic stock, i think...please correct me if i'm misinformed).

my question is, if bonito and kale are used for flavor, can they be re-used in another batch (for example, one recipie for miso soup that i have requires both these ingredients to be added then removed from the soup during the making).

Well-- that's a tough question to answer. When you make coffee you can re-use the grounds, IF there's enough strength left in 'em. But usually the 2nd brewings of coffee are weak and washed-out. It's the same with Dashi--- once you've soaked the bonito flakes, it's better to bury them with the roses than to re-use them. But--- if all you need is a hint of flavor-- then you're in luck.

I hope this helps.

By the way-- what time do you want me?

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

You can reuse the bonito flakes and kombu for what's called niban dashi ("second stock"). Add fresh water and boil about 5 minutes before straining. This is used to make dashi for cooking, but not for soups where the flavor of the dashi needs to shine.

I usually just toss the used bonito flakes, though. However, you can save the kombu/kelp and simmer in a soy sauce-sugar-water sauce (think teriyaki) until softened then eat as a vegetable.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Just like SuzySushi mentioned, you can make niban dashi:

Here are some directions:

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/dailyjc/hints/dashi/dashi.html

And, jusst like she said, you can make tsukudani from used bonito and konbu:

Here are some hints on tsukudani:

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/dailyjc/hints/tsku/tsku.html

Good luck!

The bonito flakes if top quality and made from bonito (not the ones that comes in little packets) can be used to make a 'Primary' and then a 'Secondary' dashi. The Kombu could be used for both as long as you don't boil the water with the Kombu in it. after that, throw it away. I do use the used kombu for decoration. -Dick

• 2 weeks later...

hi :)

just wanted to say thanks for all those who replied. i appreciate the information (and i didn't know that the bonito flakes in packets were not considered top-quality, i've not seen them otherwise...at least not that i've recognized).

thanks and cheers --