• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef

SobaAddict70

I didn't get to see the final episode due to some family circumstances.

But I was happy when I read today that Katie Lee apparently won't be returning next season.

Wow. You mean they've actually made the mental connect to the fact that their host is as exciting as watching paint dry? :rolleyes:

Thank heavens they've shown at least a tiny modicum of self-reflection here. The next Mrs. ex-Billy Joel is attractive, but painfully dull.

Does this mean there's hope for a hostess with some personality?

So where exactly do I send my resume?? I might not be a size two or as pretty as she is, but I promise I'll grill those contestants within an inch of their lives! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...

Some additional news on Top Chef's 2nd season, from realityblurred.com:

Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons will both return in their same roles. Replacing the thankfully fired Katie Lee Joel will be Padma Lakshmi, who is described by Bravo in a press release as “the first Indian supermodel, [an] actress and [an] award-winning writer.”

Reality Blurred

=R=

Edit: updated link

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I believe she also had a stint on the Food Network on one of the Melting Pot shows. Isn't she also married to Salmon Rushdie?

Correct and correct.

=R=

I know I've mentioned it before, but it's a shame they don't just have Colicchio serve double duty as host and "technical host," for lack of a better term.

Here's a question for you: were we not to get Simmons and Colicchio back for Season 2 (which we are, but I'm hypothesizing)...who would you want in there?

Actually if they insist on having a host hired for their looks, they've hit the goldmine with Padma Lakshmi. She's not only stunning, but intelligent, articulate and knows about food. I've always liked her and enjoyed her segments on FTV.

More on her hiring and a photo HERE

She would've been one of my suggestions. As for replacing the other two, I think Drew Nieporent would be an interesting replacement for Colicchio. Loads of experience and actual working knowledge of the business and an eye for what works.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...
As for replacing the other two, I think Drew Nieporent would be an interesting replacement for Colicchio.  Loads of experience and actual working knowledge of the business and an eye for what works.

But is Drew a chef? (He's not right?) A restauranteur certainly brings a different and pragmatic/ big picture perspective, but really wouldn't be able to give the true insider advice and critical eye of a chef I think.

In any case thank goodness Katie Joel's monotone is gone. I also had to suffer through watching her bungle an Iron Chef judging; the other two more experienced judges clearly preferred Morimoto, but she docked him so heavily the result got skewed the other way. She had this sourpuss baby face on like 'this tastes weird.' Ughh.

if anyone cares, the s.f. chronicle says that Ame's pastry chef, Marissa Churchill, will be one of the contestant's on season 2. i'm glad to see that top chef is addressing the need for a pastry chef- it was tough to watch the chefs try to make a dessert (remember using a cake mix for the wedding cake).

So THAT'S why they were looking for a new pastry chef!

But if I could please address thw cake mix issue... the highest-end wedding cake makers (the names I won't name but you know) used boxed cake mix purchased in bulk. Fondant is mostly purchased in large buckets as well.

The wedding cake business is not about from-scratch baking but about the labor that goes into making sugar flowers that no one ends up eating anyway.

if anyone cares, the s.f. chronicle says that Ame's pastry chef, Marissa Churchill, will be one of the contestant's on season 2.  i'm glad to see that top chef is addressing the need for a pastry chef- it was tough to watch the chefs try to make a dessert (remember using a cake mix for the wedding cake).

• 5 weeks later...
if anyone cares, the s.f. chronicle says that Ame's pastry chef, Marissa Churchill, will be one of the contestant's on season 2. . .

This is confirmed. The cast for season 2 has been announced. A story appears at RealityBlurred.com:

Bravo has announced the cast of Top Chef 2, and it has grown from season one. For the second season, which debuts immediately after Project Runway 3’s finale on Oct. 18, the cast has been increased to 15 chefs.

Bravo announced Top Chef 2 cast

=R=