• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef

SobaAddict70

Every week I watch, I can't stand Stephen more and more.

Did you hear how he spoke back to the judges regarding the patrons at his restautant: "They all LOVED it".....ah, no, sorry Stephen, the all DIDN'T love it.

Ugh, get over yourself...

On another note, I loved how Harold planned his sandwich for the challenge - he vocalized that he had been to the restaurant a million and one times and he knew exactly the style of sammie to make. It paid off!

I really loved the concept of Dave's sandwich - the grape ape. It looked delicious.

Even as Stephen's biggest fan, I will admit that he needs to find a balance between using his knowledge base/bullshitting ability and focusing on the tasks at hand (in this case, serving customers as the only FOH staff member). As he admitted himself, he's too esoteric, and while he is talented, let's his ego get in the way of what he's doing. Will he win, probably not. Do I still love the guy, yes.

I've said this before, but the more I watch, the more I think that Harold looks EXACTLY like Jack from lost. Just imagine Jack, rescued from the island and fed a few hearty meals. The resemblance is uncanny.

I've been pro Leanne, as she seemed the most professional of the group. This week she let me down a bit. Sometimes you have to work with difficult or incompetent people, and this week she didn't manage Miguel well.

Also, wherever the breakdown in communication fell during dinner service, I get the feeling that she and Miguel were leaving Stephen to hang out there. Preparing dishes before he was ready to pick them up or had even fired them.

In any case, Stephen's greeness in an actual restaurant setting was really apparent.

I did think it was odd that they castigated Miguel for being "top sous chef" when Harold had basically the same attitude.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I did think it was odd that they castigated Miguel for being "top sous chef" when Harold had basically the same attitude.

I agree!

Harold said, hey all I had to do with this was hang back and cook, and the judges were fine with that. Maybe the judge's animosity was due to the fact that Harold was on the winning team?

I agree!

Harold said, hey all I had to do with this was hang back and cook, and the judges were fine with that. Maybe the judge's animosity was due to the fact that Harold was on the winning team?

and had indemnity from winning the sandwich challenge.

I agree!

and had indemnity from winning the sandwich challenge.

No. The reward was that the winning sandwich would be included on the menu at the SF outpost of Wichcraft. There was no immunity this time around.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Andre needs some serious couch time to work out her Freudian poopy obsession! I mean, ya can eat 3 squares at McDonald's and chase it down with a twinkie and guess what?

YOU STILL POOP.

Amazing.

Yes, Long John Silvers works wonders too! :wink:

Snort! Ok, now I lost my morning caffine nostrilly! (Hey, Katie girl!!)

While watching this I tried to imagine what it would be like to go to Steven's or Dave's house for dinner. I think Steven would make you hang out on his door step, oblivious to the pouring rain, in order to "educate you" on the food and wine planned for the evening. Now Dave would run out with an umbrella the second your car rolled in. He'd towel you off, get you a drink and settle you in front of the fire before he runs to the bathroom and cries because the brioche is slightly burnt. Steven might finally let you in but you'd sit there, uncomfortable in you wet clothes and without food or drink until he finished impressing the next guests. Now, once Dave has had a good cry, you're going to be catered to and pampered for the rest of the night. This guy has a good heart and a sweetness to him and I think that's why he won the award. Steven, on the other hand, would insist that your stomach stop grumbling because it's making it hard for the others to hear about the food they are about to eat, some day, even though it may be cold, and half of the guests are dead from hunger, YOU WILL LOVE IT! YES YOU WILL! Even if you say you don't like it and write down on little cards that you don't like it, well, you're still Wrong! Steven's food is always awesome people and if you don't love the food then you just don't deserve to eat all. It's not Steven's fault, it's your fault for just not "getting it".

Melissa

Say what you want about Miguel. He doesn't have the on-screen panache as some of the others, but he works hard and he has a lot of real kitchen skills. I think after Top Chef, he'll probably end up as a sous at one of the top restaurant kitchens in the country. Any 4-star chef would be happy to have Miguel as a right-hand man, and I'd consider myself priveleged to eat his food.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hello, my name is divalasvegas and I like Stephen. :blink:  God help me, but I do.  I think he's probably equal parts intelligence, dedication and good old fashioned bullshit.  If he can just figure out how to speak to people and not at them, he'll go far.

Really? I'd like to kick him in the nuts, smack him over the head with a baseball bat, and dispose of him in a wood chipper, personally.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hello, my name is divalasvegas and I like Stephen. :blink:  God help me, but I do.  I think he's probably equal parts intelligence, dedication and good old fashioned bullshit.  If he can just figure out how to speak to people and not at them, he'll go far.

Really? I'd like to kick him in the nuts, smack him over the head with a baseball bat, and dispose of him in a wood chipper, personally.

I'm right there with you, Jason. This guy gives sommeliers a bad name. Give me a slightly condescending older Frenchman in a suit anyday before I listen to the likes of that obnoxious and inhospitable excuse for a server. Yes - sommeliers are just high level servers with a particular expertise. Steven really doesn't get that at all. Would anyone stand for a waiter with his attitude? His arrogance and overbearing sense of entitlement would put me off dinner in less than a minute. I don't know how he stays employed.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I could not stop cringing whenever they showed Stephen talking down to the guests. And I love how he handed one table a scorecard and said "We appreciate all your compliments" or something to that effect. What a presumptuous jerk. Obviously, he's got some incecurity issues.

Dave.....I think Dave has a drinking problem. He seems to have fuzzy judgement, and is emotional as hell - which is very unprofessional in front of the judges.

I hope Dave wins, I do think he's good, and he has a good personality when he's not melting down.

It was nice to see Ted on the show. Is Queer Eye cancelled or something, I haven't heard of new episodes in Ages?

~Radio

the tall drink of water...

I've been pro Leanne, and this week she didn't manage Miguel well.  Also, wherever the breakdown in communication fell during dinner service, I get the feeling that she and Miguel were leaving Stephen to hang out there.  Preparing dishes before he was ready to pick them up or had even fired them.

I don't think either of these things is true. She was hung out to dry by both of her teamates at times still managed to work through it. And do you really think that she would sabatoge her chances at winning. Stephen actually impressed me more this episode than others, but I still think he should have been sent packing. This seemed set up in a way however, and it was refreshing they didn't go that route. I think that they served more people should have been taken into consideration however, and the complexity was far greater as well. Come on the winners served 13 some canned bullshit, what did they really win?

And I think we should remember that this is TV. Stephen is being kept around for the purpose of creating tension and bringing back viewers. If this final contest were between Dave, Lee Ann, and Harold, how exciting would it be? Not very --many of us would be content seeing any of the three win. We're tuning in, gang, because we're either pro-Steven or anti-Steven. And that's the way the show's constructed. If it were purely a contest, not a televised contest, I think other decisions would have been made, and for other reasons.

I guess I don't understand all the love Dave is getting, from Choad-a-row and others. I mean, the man can't even remember to season food with salt and pepper. And he'd never last in a busy kitchen - he's waaaaaaay too sensitive.

I'm not saying he doesn't have something to contribute to the world as a cook. But I can't believe people are talking about him being in the top three of this group. He seems like a really nice guy, somebody I'd probably have fun hanging out with or even cooking a dinner party with, but "Top Chef" of these 12? No way.

My buddy Stephen dropped the ball this week (although they should have waited for him to fire the food - all line cooks, no matter how much they disapprove of the server or the pace in the FOH, have to wait for the server - or expediter, at least - to fire courses). I predict that after this week he gets the message that people don't care to be "educated" in a way that makes them feel inferior. After all, in his comments on his website, he had this to say about the monkfish episode:

I must admit the whole "gaufrette" thing was over the top.  Why I felt compelled to speak French to children, I haven't the slightest.

But my all-time favorite Stephen quote has to be his response to someone (? I think Miguel) asking him how he managed to get something completed so quickly (this was in episode 2 or 3, I think):

"That's because I'm the man, brother."

We now quote it to each other around my house at least two or three times a day. Bwahaha!

All that being said, I would never pick Stephen as a line cook in my restaurant. Harold, LeAnne - yes. Tiffani, probably not. Too much attitude.

LeAnne should have scaled that fish better, and she knew it. Yeah, Miguel shouldn't have bought it scales-on, but she should have cleaned it better, period, end of sentence.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I'm not totally following this show, but if a re-run is on and I'm folding laundry, I'll give it a whirl. I happened to catch the one with Ted Allen. Man was he good!!! I hope he gets his own show. He's so full of life and funny. If there is a season two of this show... he'd get my vote to replace Ms. Joel. And I must say, Tom Colicchio is cool.

While Stephen may bring back a lot of viewers to show (because he is the man), I think it's unfair to say different decisions would have been made had this not been a television program. No one sent home thus far has been in the same league of Stephen in terms of attention to detail, creative thinking, and food knowledge. I really hope Dave goes next week so we see the real knives come out, so to speak.

I don't know if this has been covered in the Vegas forum, but has anyone had the pleasure (displeasure) of having Stephen as your Sommelier? I would love to just so I could see if he is truly that condecending to an actual paying customer.

Why oh why did some of them have to fawn over Chowder-head? Granted, his money funds a lot of restaurants, but, does anyone take him seriously after "The Restaurant"?

Count me in the group that doesn't understand why Dave is still there - between him and Miguel it is evident that Miguel has the makings of a top contender, while Dave has a great personality to the FOH customer - that doesn't mean he could command the respect of a kitchen. I'll still go with Harold. He can cook for me anytime...dinner and then breakfast.

I can't decide about Tiffini. Sometimes I think she's great (her food and creativity) and sometimes I just want to bitch-slap her (her personality is grating). She does seem to have the makings of a Top Chef though and I wouldn't be mad if she won (I would be though if it went to Dave - I would be in tears...and so would he).

I saw that next week they bust out the secret ingredient: cake mix. (At least secret from the judges! or an attempt to be secret). Sandra Lee should be a guest judge.

Shannon

edited for clarity.

Edited by Shannon_Elise (log)

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

I saw that next week they bust out the secret ingredient: cake mix. Sandra Lee should be a guest judge.

Shannon

In the preview I saw, it didn't look like cake mix was the secret ingredient. It looked like they were working as a team to cater a wedding reception and the group, or some of them, decided to use cake mix for the cake, which Tom Collicchio didn't seem to enjoy. It looked like Leeanne was frosting the cake.

And I think we should remember that this is TV.  Stephen is being kept around for the purpose of creating tension and bringing back viewers.  If this final contest were between Dave, Lee Ann, and Harold, how exciting would it be?  Not very --many of us would be content seeing any of the three win.  We're tuning in, gang, because we're either pro-Steven or anti-Steven.  And that's the way the show's constructed.  If it were purely a contest, not a televised contest, I think other decisions would have been made, and for other reasons.

Yeah, but I think Tiffany can be equally un-likeable (personality-wise,) personally!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Andre needs some serious couch time to work out her Freudian poopy obsession! I mean, ya can eat 3 squares at McDonald's and chase it down with a twinkie and guess what?

YOU STILL POOP.

Amazing.

Yes, Long John Silvers works wonders too! :wink:

Snort! Ok, now I lost my morning caffine nostrilly! (Hey, Katie girl!!)

Hey Kim! I couldn't resist!!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert