• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gingerbread Pudding and Carmel Sauce

Well I made the full-sized version. I don't think I'm going to be making it again anytime soon. Not because it wasn't fantastic or didn't work, I just don't think I need to overdose on gingerbread pudding and gain 500 pounds and then die of a heart attack. I didn't make the ice cream. Instead I bought the ginger ice cream and instead of pumpkin bought nutmeg from La Casa Gelato. The nutmeg was fantastic and would recommend it to go with the gingerbread pudding. Once I figure out how to properly post a picture I'll do so.

My Blog - My Dinner Table

I made this a couple nights ago. Wow. Yumm. I sifted the flour and baking soda together...well I call it sifting at least it was really an appoximation of sifting :biggrin:

The Cake came out perfect and the conversion to pudding was a snap. I tried to make a cheeky carmel sauce by skipping out of the creme..it works but its not as...well...creamy!

Really good tho but it certainly won't stop me from getting it from the source...HSG has drinks and atmosphere I can't compete with.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I came in on Friday night just to have the infamous GBP! It's the first time I've been in your joint for a while, Mr Wyles. Not sure why I haven't been back, but I'll have to make a dinner and dessert visit soon.

I thought it was great, but it wasn't quite what I expected--the cake was very 'smashed' looking on the plate. (We came in quite late so it may have been the last of that particular pan.) It was also less gingery than I expected. The caramel sauce was soooooo good. I was liberally dousing every piece with it.

And holy portion size, Pudding Man! I'm so glad I had a friend to share it with me!

Since I started this thread I have the duty to report back on by GBP effort. I made the cake last weekend and froze it in anticipation of an afterwork dinner party this Friday night.

I thawed the cake the day of the party and made it into pudding Friday night. I served it with the sauce (I cut the sugar in half) and Dulce de Leche ice-cream.

I don't know what it is about this dessert, but it is absolutely delicious and deeply soul satisfying. Everyone who ate it loved it. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures as it was inhaled by all present.

Served with a 1989 Chateua St Jean Late Harvest Reisling it was all so, so good.

Next time I hope to have the time to attempt the pumpkin ice cream as I do believe that is the perfect ice cream to go with the gingerbread.

Thanks so much Neil for the receipe. You are my hero! :blush:

Life is short, eat dessert first

Served with a 1989 Chateua St Jean Late Harvest Reisling it was all so, so good.

I think some Moscato would be a perfect pairing too since it's light and leaves less finish. Will have to try that next time.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 3 weeks later...

Made exactly according to Neil's emailed recipe we have the pudding, caramel sauce, and ginger and pumpkin ice creams. Oh, wait, I did salt the caramel sauce, to good effect.

gallery_16307_1993_82266.jpg

The only thing I'd change next time is the ginger ice cream. Both of the ice cream recipes contain cornstarch, not a usual home ice cream ingedient. In the pumpkin, I didn't notice it, but the ginger ice cream also contains egg whites. Somehow, between the two, the mouth feel is weird to me. The flavor was gorgeous, though, and my guests were divided on whether the mouth feel was an issue. I think the home cook can safely omit the cornstarch from both of the ice creams, since they're sure to get eaten right up.

Thank you, Neil, for this wonderful dessert suite!

Made exactly according to Neil's emailed recipe we have the pudding, caramel sauce, and ginger and pumpkin ice creams.  Oh, wait, I did salt the caramel sauce, to good effect.

gallery_16307_1993_82266.jpg

The only thing I'd change next time is the ginger ice cream.  Both of the ice cream recipes contain cornstarch, not a usual home ice cream ingedient.  In the pumpkin, I didn't notice it, but the ginger ice cream also contains egg whites.  Somehow, between the two, the mouth feel is weird to me.  The flavor was gorgeous, though, and my guests were divided on whether the mouth feel was an issue.  I think the home cook can safely omit the cornstarch from both of the ice creams, since they're sure to get eaten right up.

Thank you, Neil, for this wonderful dessert suite!

Oh man that looks good...I am thinking of breaking into Hamilton Street Grill right now to see if I can get some. Or if anyone wants to send some to me in a cab that would be great. PM me for the address...lol.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

^ It really is sick how addictive this stuff is. I made it, and couldn't stop eating it so I had to call in reinforcements to eat it before I could finish the entire thing myself. They were happy to oblige but then it came down to fighting with them for the last scraps. It's really quite embarassing to invite people to your house to have this wonderful dessert only to fight with them to eat it.

Neil I think you could bring down governments with enough of this stuff.

Salting the carmel sauce is a marvellous idea!! Will try next time.