• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ghana's street cuisine

cdh

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/dining/01ghana.html

A Taste of Ghana

By LYDIA POLGREEN

Published: February 1, 2006

ACCRA, Ghana

PEOPLE travel to Africa for history and for scenery but never the food. I don't get it.

I have found that Africa, with thousands of languages and cultures, each with its own cuisine, always rewards an adventurous eater. Maybe the problem most travelers have is that finding good African food isn't always easy...

Any eG folks with experience with African cuisines like this?

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 1 year later...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/dining/01ghana.html
A Taste of Ghana

By LYDIA POLGREEN

Published: February 1, 2006

ACCRA, Ghana

PEOPLE travel to Africa for history and for scenery but never the food. I don't get it.

I have found that Africa, with thousands of languages and cultures, each with its own cuisine, always rewards an adventurous eater. Maybe the problem most travelers have is that finding good African food isn't always easy...

Any eG folks with experience with African cuisines like this?

Hi, going to Accra and Tema for three weeks from Friday - anyone got any recommendations for intersting food places? My in-laws are Ghanaian, so we'll have lots of jolof, palm soup, light soup, etc at home, and I'll want to ring the changes when going out.

Haven't been to Ghana for several years, no recommendations, just have a bowl or 2 of spicy goat and red red chicken with banku for me (but not fufu, could never get to grips :smile: )...anyway, you'll be with the experts so you'll be stuffed full of goodies anyway, just try and sit towards the front of the plane to avoid the horrendous airport queues and make sure your taxi's lights are working before you get in at night (from experience :biggrin: )

ps. take lots of pix for us

Haven't been to Ghana for several years, no recommendations, just have a bowl or 2 of spicy goat and red red chicken with banku for me (but not fufu, could never get to grips :smile: )...anyway, you'll be with the experts so you'll be stuffed full of goodies anyway, just try and sit towards the front of the plane to avoid the horrendous airport queues and make sure your taxi's lights are working before you get in at night (from experience  :biggrin: )

ps. take lots of pix for us

Many thanks.

Given how muchy I was fed last time, my main worry is that by the time I leave I'll be too heavy for the plane to take off...

Agree with you about fufu, that's too much of a handful. :raz:

Apparently there's a German with fishing boats running a restaurant in Tema featurung the day's catch - we'll certainly try that.

Also loved the squid kebabs at Ave Maria beach, off the little coast road from Tema to Accra (which is a lovely drive).

I'll report on return.