• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Andouille

scott123

I love gumbo. Oh how I love gumbo. My favorite part of gumbo is the andouille. It fills me with such glee :) If the andouille wasn't so darn expensive I'd eat it every week. In the interest of budget, I've tried swapping kielbasa and that was sorely dissappointing. I was getting andouille from Trader Joes for a reasonable price (can't recall the brand, just that you had to peel it), but they stopped carrying it and now all they have is crappelgate. Whole paycheck has a couple of brands, but at $9+/lb. that's way too rich for my blood.

Ideally, I'd like to find andouille for 4 bucks/lb. Not great andouille but okay quality. I know this is a pipe dream, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to see if anyone had a cheap source. Most likely, I'll end up making it myself.

OK, it's not cheap, but you can mail order andouille from Poche's in LA. The price of $8.25/lb includes FedEx overnight shipping, and you have to order a minimum of 10 lbs. However, it keeps well in the freezer, and at the rate you seem to consume it, it won't get freezer burned before you do (it also comes cryovacced, so that helps). Not as cheap as you'd like, but less than WF, and it's the real thing (check out the chunks of meat you can see in the slices in the picture).

If it's still out of your price range for now, at least you have something to request the next time your mom asks what you want for your birthday or something to that effect!

The cold cut and smoked meat vendor at the Pennsylvania Dutch Market on route 27 in Kingston has andouilli and it's not expensive (sorry, I don't recall how much but have purchased it and never thought that it was out of line.) It is the first vendor on the left when you enter the space. They are only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

OK, it's not cheap, but you can mail order andouille from Poche's in LA. The price of $8.25/lb includes FedEx overnight shipping, and you have to order a minimum of 10 lbs. However, it keeps well in the freezer, and at the rate you seem to consume it, it won't get freezer burned before you do (it also comes cryovacced, so that helps). Not as cheap as you'd like, but less than WF, and it's the real thing (check out the chunks of meat you can see in the slices in the picture).

If it's still out of your price range for now, at least you have something to request the next time your mom asks what you want for your birthday or something to that effect!

Also the Andouille from Jacob's. Which is legitimately made in La Place.

http://www.jacobsandouille.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i can sometimes find reasonably priced andouille at the Shoprite in Wharton. if not i pop up the street to Sussex Meat Packing http://www.sussexmeat.com/index.htm and they usually have fresh andouille.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i can sometimes find reasonably priced andouille at the Shoprite in Wharton.  if not i pop up the street to Sussex Meat Packing http://www.sussexmeat.com/index.htm and they usually have fresh andouille.

Fresh andouille is not the same thing as Cajun andouille though. Cajun andouille is cold smoked. French-style andouille is a fresh sausage.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I haven't been there myself, but I've heard rave reviews about the Andouille that is sold at Karl Ehmer's butcher shop in Hillsdale.

I'll definitely vouch for the Karl Ehmer Andouille. I've used it in many a gumbo myself. I shop at the one in Greenvale, on Long Island near my folks, but it's all gotta be the same. It's not as cheap as scott123 wants, though- I looked on line and it is going for around $7/lb. On the upside- if you go to the shop you can get as little as you need for one batch and see if you like it before buying it in bulk.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

If you want to make your own andouille - and that could be very cool- Chef John Folse of south Louisiana has a recipefor homemade andouille sausage in the cajun style including how to smoke it. That way you have ultimate control of the spicing and final flavors.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Theres also a great recipe on NOLAcuisine.com, with excellent photos:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/ando...sausage-recipe/

Not sure how far you're located from the Bridgewater Wegmans but they carry the dartagnan brand of Andouille. Not the very best but all in all not a bad product. It's a little over 6 dollars a pound and on rare occasions ive seen it on sale. Sounds crazy but Ive had to use it to substitue for tasso many times as I cant find tasso anywhere in NJ.

24.jpg

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I love gumbo.  Oh how I love gumbo.  My favorite part of gumbo is the andouille.  It fills me with such glee :) If the andouille wasn't so darn expensive I'd eat it every week. In the interest of budget, I've tried swapping kielbasa and that was sorely dissappointing. I was getting andouille from Trader Joes for a reasonable price (can't recall the brand, just that you had to peel it), but they stopped carrying it and now all they have is crappelgate. Whole paycheck has a couple of brands, but at $9+/lb. that's way too rich for my blood.

Ideally, I'd like to find andouille for 4 bucks/lb.  Not great andouille but okay quality. I know this is a pipe dream, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to see if anyone had a cheap source. Most likely, I'll end up making it myself.

Hi Scott123, Chef Gary just stared making Andouille at Silver Oak American Bistro. It is made in Ridgewood and we are selling it for carry-out at $6.95 per lb. for more info please visit www.silveroakbistro.com. Mike Feygin

You know, we really could use the money. It's not exactly paradise down here, we need the foriegn trade and you won't buy better. Not anywhere. C'mon, a huge honking link of the stuff weighs roughly a pound, so you can just figure it like that.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Market Basket in Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes makes their version of andouille and I belive it sells at around $3.99/pound.  

http://www.marketbasket.com/

Thanks!

I just called to check up on the price. The guy first said "uh, I think it's 4.99" and got really irked when I asked him to find out for certain because I'd be traveling a distance. He then yelled to another guy and HE said it was $3.39 a pound. I asked if it was on special and he said no, that was the regular price. His flippant attitude/relaying of information didn't instill a lot of confidence in his answers, but if 3.39 is indeed the price, wow.

Sorry Brooks, at some point I'll be doing my part to help the Southeastern American economy (and get some kickass sausage!), but for the time being, 3.39 is the magic number. Besides, even though the public has awoken to many of the culinary delights of Cajun/Creole cuisine, I don't think they've even begun to scratch the surface of the culinary Mecca that is New Orleans (and the surrounding areas). Once people really get clued in, watch out, you guys are be flooded with tourist dollars. Enjoy whatever empty highways you have will you can.

$3.39... *rubbing my hands together* Ooooh boy, gumbo here I come! :)

Edited by scott123 (log)

Not sure of the cost, but they make great ones at the Swiss Pork Store in Fair lawn. They have some of the best meats around, and make all authentic sausages, forcemeats, liverwursts, bloodwursts, brats and more. Fair Lawn Ave in Fair Lawn...well worth a visit. Total throwback to the 50s! :wub:

Here he goes again - veering off topic...

I LOVE the Swiss Pork Store. The meats and sausages are great. They always have the little "peanut" franks to give to the kids. Their thick cut bacon makes every Christmas morning special.

The thing I like best about it though is the way the fellows in there always welcome you, make sure you get what you want/need and then scratch out your order and tally it with a stub of a pencil on a brown paper bag.

A pork store has to be pretty good to be around so long in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

It should be its own thread, that lovely little Pork Store...since I was a wee girl, and that was quite a while ago, I'm 41, I remember going in and them cutting me a nice warm piece of veal loaf or handing me a little hotdog. I use those hot dogs when I make pigs in a blanket for catering jobs that demand piggies.

A pork store has to be pretty good to be around so long in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood. (WFNUGENT)
:raz:

I guess being Jewish I shouldn't like a pork store? :raz:

Not all Jewish people keep kosher you know. :biggrin:

Alot of Jewish people like fresh butcher foodstuff and that is why they would go, because a supermarket is rarely the same. Locally near Westwood for example there's Karl Ehmer... :laugh:

On a more personal note, I love bacon, dislike most ham unless it's cooked well and tasting sweet. Some pork I dislike unless it is in a chinese roast pork bun but I will eat some pork depending on taste, cut, quality etc... love pork rinds if they're real thin and crackly. :wub:

Maybe it's me but if I said on the flip side that maybe a wine store has to be pretty good to be around so long in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood too? (for example) - I know you do not mean anything by it... but you get my gist. :blink:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

A:

Please do not take offense at my comment about the location of the Swiss Pork Store. I genuinely was just trying to be light-hearted - if I missed the mark, I apologize profusely.

The Swiss Pork Store is an equal-opportunity treasure. Regardless of anyone's faith, creed, age, or right- or left-handedness, they should visit the store. It is a throwback to an era where small family shops were the norm, everyone knew the butcher and when people asked "how are you?" and wanted to know the honest answer.

Again, my deepest apologies.

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow-up.

I made the 45 minute trip to Market Basket in Franklin Lakes to pick up andouille. 3.39 a pound (regular price). While I was there I picked up chorizo and bockwurst (never had it but it looked interesting- veal, pork, milk, onions and chives). All their sausages were in the 2.99-3.59 realm, which to me seems exceedingly fair considering most of them are pork and the only thing that changes is the herbs/spices. The andouille looks like kielbasa with different spices, which definitely isn't authentic, but around here, without mail order, that's what andouille has evolved into.

Anyway, today I embarked on a big ol pot of gumbo. I opened the package of andouille and cut myself a slice. First note- soap. Like a piney soap. Almost mildewy. It faded very quickly to a porky/fatty taste with a slight smokiness. As I sliced a few more pieces, a few things occured to me:

1. Is it fair to judge andouille in a cold state? I'm not a big fan of cold kielbasa, so should cold andouille be any different?

2. Since I've never had real andouille, my baseline is definitely skewed to the andouille flavored kielbasa you get at Trader Joes/Whole Foods.

3. The soapy/piney/mildewy note is thyme. Fresh thyme, and a LOT of it.

4. Not a huge amount of smokeyness. Looking at the pictures of real andouille and the smokehouses they make them in, I'm certain the real thing has a lot more smokeyness.

5. Not a lot of salt. This blew me away as I was quite certain they'd be salty as heck.

6. Good level of heat.

Based upon my meager andouille experience, I am very very pleased with this sausage. It's about a thousand times better than kielbasa for making gumbo and on par with anything I've gotten at Whole Foods/Trader Joes. I could do without so much fresh thyme, but I'm sure that simmering it a bit in the gumbo will temper that. I could also do with some more smokeyness, but hey, for 3.39, I'm not complaining.

This stuff is amazing. As I drove home, I crunched a few numbers. If get ground pork for $1.79 and lose, say, 1/3 to the smoking process, that comes to about 2.30/lb after smoking. To be able to get decent faux andouille for only a dollar more per pound- without making it myself... definitely, I'll be going back.