• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
scott123

Homemade Andouille

It's official. I do NOT like kielbasa as a sub for andouille in gumbo. NOT at all. The whole coriander hot dog note drives me bonkers. At around $2.50 a lb. it's a shame I can't work with it. I can get okay andouille, but it costs me around $8/lb. It's my favorite part of gumbo but that's a little too rich for my blood. As I can get pork butt for practically nothing, I've been considering making my own.

Anyone make their own andouille?

What do you think about this andouille recipe?

Any tips/tricks you'd recommend?

That meat looks too finely ground. Some of the best, locally bought, andouille we've had looks much more chunky when sliced, big pieces of meat and fat, diced stuff in a matrix of more finely ground stuff.

Andouille is, basically, spicy ham chopped into rough chunks with a little ground pork for filler. It is really, really chunky if it's any good at all. I will try to take a cross section photo tonight and I am pretty sure that I can come up with a recipe later in the day.

On the other hand, if I were you, I would just call Jacob's or Poche's and order 10 lbs or so. You can't do it as well as they can, if only because of the smokehouse factor.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

If your really interested in making your own sausage, here is a recipe that I think will be more authentic. John Folse is the best authority of things Cajun and Creole and I would trust his recipes first. I have never had any bad results from any of his recipes.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

:cool: I'm with Mayhaw Man, contact Poche's and give them a try. I really like their chicken andouille and their smoke gator sausage, both very high quality and authenic products from great people. These products are well worth the money and rise above anything that I've come across in stores. Good Luck!

:raz:

http://www.pochesmarket.com/

Question about the recipe - What is prague powder #1?

Prague Powder 1 (aka pink salt) is a cure used when making semi-dry sausages that are going to be cooked or smoked at temps below 200F. It's a mixture of 1 part (6.25%) sodium nitrite to 16 parts (93.75%) salt.

Also, goes under a number of brand names such as Insta Cure, Modern Cure, etc.

Andouille is, basically, spicy ham chopped into rough chunks with a little ground pork for filler. It is really, really chunky if it's any good at all. I will try to take a cross section photo tonight and I am pretty sure that I can come up with a recipe later in the day.

On the other hand, if I were you, I would just call Jacob's or Poche's and order 10 lbs or so. You can't do it as well as they can, if only because of the smokehouse factor.

:cool: I'm with Mayhaw Man, contact Poche's and give them a try.  I really like their chicken andouille and their smoke gator sausage, both very high quality and authenic products from great people.  These products are well worth the money and rise above anything that I've come across in stores.  Good Luck!

:raz:

http://www.pochesmarket.com/

I have to admit that Poche's price is a lot more reasonable than I expected, but like I said, $8/lb. is too rich for my blood. For special occasions, abosolutely, but for an everday andouille- can't do it.

Thanks, though!

P.S. That price really is amazing. It's the last time I shell out $9+/lb for the Whole Paycheck andouille I get occasionally.

If your really interested in making your own sausage, here is a recipe that I think will be more authentic.  John Folse is the best authority of things Cajun and Creole and I would trust his recipes first.  I have never had any bad results from any of his recipes.

Thanks, that looks like a winner. I had read here that nitrates AND smoking were a bit redundant so I wasn't sure if the recipe I found was up to snuff. Thyme isn't in Poche's andouille, but I think I'll like some thyme in mine.

I've hit the same dilemma scott123 ... i couldn't pay $8 lb. or $80/lb. or any other amount... since moving here to Australia years ago, there simply isn't any available, at least that I can find. For some inexplicable reason, cajun/creole culture somehow never really made its way to the other side of the planet.

So I've been forced to do a bit of research, and came up with the Folse recipe as well, which is the one I think I'll try this weekend if i get the chance.

I agree about the kielbasa. Lots of people were helpful to me when I was trying to sort out which sausage would work as an andouille substitute (here) … but it simply wasn’t the same.

The bonus (assuming I can concoct a smoker full of acceptable andouille) is that I’ll be able to introduce a backyard full of Aussies to a fantastic new taste.

Good luck, let us know how you go smokin your own / kanga

Kangarool . . . You go! You really can't go wrong if you follow John Folse. As to the thyme question, one of the time honored sources uses thyme. I just can't remember which one. Maybe that place in La Place?

And . . . After you have your andouille made you will need to make some gumbo and report on it. I think we had another Aussie participate in that one but more are always welcome. We need to spread the gumbo ethic ever further.

During that cook-off, a strange phenomenon came to our attention. It seems that there are some of our . . . ahem . . . upscale markets that are selling "fresh andouille." By definition, there is no such thing. Andouille is a smoked sausage.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have to admit that Poche's price is a lot more reasonable than I expected, but like I said, $8/lb. is too rich for my blood. For special occasions, abosolutely, but for an everday andouille- can't do it.

Thanks, though!

P.S. That price really is amazing.  It's the last time I shell out $9+/lb for the Whole Paycheck andouille I get occasionally.

It's even more amazing if you shop there in person. I don't have any in front of me (I can go freezer diving in a bit), but I'm sure it's less than $4/lb at the store. So, if you ever get down to New Orleans, it's worth the trip. Pack a carton to bring home (buy a styrofoam cooler at a Walmart). Just bring extra packing tape to the airport in case security decides they need a look see.

Kangarool . . . You go! You really can't go wrong if you follow John Folse. As to the thyme question, one of the time honored sources uses thyme. I just can't remember which one. Maybe that place in La Place?

Finally got around to it... half way at least. Amongst work surprises, family commitments and the usual delays, I managed to pick up the pork, the fat and the casings at the market butcher near work.

I planned to follow the Folse recipe, but before starting, I scoured my cookbooks, googled every permutation of Andouille i could think of, and generally looked to see what my options were. The options were bewilderingly varied. Folse's appealed due to its seeming purity of just a few, strongly flavoured ingredients, and I think should give me a good "standard" against which to compare later attempts. Some of the recipes i found were easily dismissable -- "hickory" "flavoured" "liquid" "smoke" -- but others might be worth pursuing later. Emeril's and Prudhomme's both show a massive number of different additions and seasonings (go to foodtv.com if you want to see emerils).

Anyway, like I said, I got halfway there -- the sausage grinding and making. Tomorrow, finger's crossed, is the smoking.

If you'd like to see progress so far, have a look. Critique welcome! In the end, i ground coarsely and didn't chop. And, probably went a bit heavy on the fat, the garlic and the pepper, than what was called for, but i still feel good about where things currently stand. Finished product soon!

gallery_10617_130_459427.jpg

Here is part two… all in all, it’s a reasonably tasty result. I have a sense that this is sort of an ‘andouille wannabe’, as I think my equipment is inferior (a Weber kettle, not a proper smoker), and that I probably had too high a heat, and too short of smoking time, for it to be considered totally legit.

The other concern was that, the more I read about smoking sausages, the more I came across references to all those wonderful bugs in the zoo: botulism, trichinosis, e. coli, all those fun guys. I’m not worried about it, but it did play with my brain for the six or so hours of waiting around. I consoled myself that, although there’s not heaps of salt in the Folse recipe, the garlic and black and cayenne peppers wouldn’t make a very hospitable bug environment. I have no scientific basis for that belief whatsoever, of course, and I’m sure is foolhardy to think this way.

All that being said, the sausage tastes pretty goddamned good.

I sliced one of them, and cooked it in a cast iron pan over high heat, a bit more fat rendered out than I expected, but it wasn’t a problem. Lots of beautiful garlic flavour and smoky black pepper was there, and the taste and texture of freshly ground pork, rather than the usual Safeway blandness, was a treat.

All in all, I’m extremely pleased with the result, and can’t wait to get the gumbo going tomorrow night, to finish the whole thing off properly. My gumbo I now have perfected, so there’s no worries there.

Future andouille attempts (and there will be more: it’s been a much easier effort than I anticipated, even if the result wasn’t 100%, it was far and away closer to New Orleans than anything I could hope to find at the polish or italian deli’s), will benefit from a longer, slower, gentler cooking time. And, probably, that prague powder or some other curing solution to put my mind at rest about bacteria.

OK, off to get the roux underway! Along with chucking in the andouille, I’m also thinking of getting hold of some Northern Territory croc meat, and pretending it’s ‘gator!

gallery_10617_130_168365.jpg

It looks great, kangarool! You really do "rool". Please let us know how the gumbo turns out.

Having lived in gumbo (and andouille) country all of my life, I sometimes wonder how much effort and trouble I'd go to in order to get the ingredients that Cajun foods require. I'm always impressed by those who go the extra mile.

"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)

Beautiful. Congratulations.

What temperature did you smoke them at? What kind of wood?

Thanks. Smoked them with Hickory, as Barbeque's Galore was out of Apple. I have some fruit trees in the backyard, which I'd hoped to use, but read that smoking wood shouldn't be "green" or live, as it imparts a bitter taste. ?

And the temperature was not taken... thought I'd wing it, and save the cash I would have spent on a thermometer, on a slab of Coopers Pale instead, to keep me company during the smoking. Had about 15 or so normal briquettes, and one well-soaked chunk of wood... I saw a chart that said something like "150-200 degree heat is where you can hold your hand over the coals for about 7 or 8 seconds without searing your palm" ... That's my kind of accuracy!

You should give it a go Scott, it was pretty good fun, and relatively easy. Easier than a $2,200 Melbourne-LaPlace return flight anyway.

good luck, let us know if and how you go...

Edited by kangarool (log)

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Glen
      Looking to learn and ask questions about home curing meats.  I have an 11 lb batch of genoa salami going and it is my first batch.  Worried about the PH level not dropping as needed.  Need some advice.   I followed the Marianski recipe exactly.  I have a pH meter and the starting point was 6.15pH which I thought was unusually high.  2.5 months in, I am about 73% of starting weight yet my pH is only 5.88pH.  My curing chamber is consistently at 57deg. F. /80% humidity.  My pH tester seems calibrated properly using the calibration solutions.  I am using the meat probe adapter and just sticking it in the salami until the tip is submerged etc...Thanks in advance for any suggestions or reassurances. 

Glen

• By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide -knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.

• By Daily Gullet Staff
      by Chris Amirault

Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like 'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?

- Nora Ephron

I attended a training last fall at which we were asked to share an object representing something important about mentoring, our focus for the week. I suspect that few in the workshop had difficulty coming up with their tape measures, baby photos, and flower pots, but I usually find this sort of assignment challenging, preferring simple denotations to forced connotations.

On the drive home, I rolled down the windows, sensing that the air was turning slightly crisp and cool. I savored that harbinger of autumn in New England, when my thoughts turn to braises, stews and charcuterie. After a summer of keeping the oven off in my non-air-conditioned kitchen, I dreamed of daubes, considered new curries, and generally jonesed for the promise of meat to come.

And then I realized that I had a perfect metaphor for mentoring: my 5 lb. vertical sausage stuffer from Grizzly Industrial, Inc. The next day, I lugged the apparatus to the training, hiding it behind a door for fear of ridicule. When my turn arrived, I hauled it out and clunked it down dramatically on the center table. "Good mentoring is like a sausage stuffer," I said, "for at least ten reasons:

+ + +

That's the article as I started writing it. But over time, Nora's words came to haunt me. The whole shtick began to smell a bit fishy, and I began to fear that, like many tropes, this metaphor turned attention away from a trickier, worrisome truth hiding in plain view.

But unlike many tropes, the worrisome truth I was hiding is in the object, and not the subject, of the metaphor. That is, the metaphor wasn't really about my relationship to mentoring. It was really about my relationship to sausage.

Imagine the scene: I whip out my sausage maker and give ten reasons why my metaphor is bigger and better than everyone else's. (I did mention that I was the only man among three dozen women in that training, didn't I?) Laugh if you want, but one's sausage is important to many a man. A quick perusal of this topic reveals that I'm not alone. (You did notice the gender breakdown in that topic, didn't you?)

Last weekend, while in the unfinished basement of a chef buddy, talk turned to our sausages, and before long we four charcuterie nuts were looking at our feet and commiserating about our failures. We shared a bond: our sausages had the better of us, and we knew it. Pathetic though it is, are you surprised that I felt a deep sense of relief, even of control, when I walked through my ten reasons? My metaphor afforded me a rare opportunity to feel superior to the process of sausage-making, and believe me, that doesn't happen often.

My name is Chris A., and I have sausage anxiety.

Read that list up there about my sausage maker, the instrument that I describe with distanced assurance. It's a ruse, I tell you. No matter how often I try to buck up, no matter how definitive a recipe, no matter how wonderful a pork butt or a lamb shoulder, when it comes to making sausages, I go limp with worry.

Can you blame me? Look at all the places you can screw up, where your sausage can fail you utterly and leave you in tears.

You grab some wonderful meat, hold it in your hands, appreciate its glory. Chill. You grind it, add some fat, and sprinkle some seasoning, whatever the flesh requires. Chill again. Slow down, contemplate the moon or something. You paddle that meat to bind it, melding flavor and texture seamlessly. Chill some more. What's your hurry? Toss a bit into a skillet, ask: are we ready? and adjust as needed. Stuff away. Then relax. If you can.

I can't. You need to keep things cool to take care of your sausage, and it's challenging to stay cool when I'm all a-flutter about the prospect of a culminating, perfect, harmonious bind. If you read the books and you watch the shows, everyone acts just about as cool as a cucumber. But that's not real life with my sausage.

It's a frenzy, I tell you. I know I should chill and relax, but I get all hot and bothered, start hurrying things along, unable to let the meat chill sufficiently, to take things slowly. Hell, I'm sweating now just thinking about it.

I have to admit that I don't have this sausage problem when I'm alone in the house, have a couple of hours to kill, and know I won't be disturbed. I just settle in, take it nice and slow, not a care in the world, and everything comes out fine. But with someone else around, forget about it.

Despite this mishegas, my wife is as supportive as she can be. She humors me patiently about these things, gently chiding, "Slow down! The house isn't on fire. It's just your sausage." Though I know she loves me despite my foibles, that sort of talk just adds fuel to that fire -- I mean, she can speak so glibly because it's not her sausage we're worrying about.

Even if I am I able to relax, the prospect of sudden, precipitous sausage humiliation comes crashing down upon me. Think of it. All seems to be going so well -- a little too well. I'm keeping things cool, making sure that I'm taking it easy, following the plan step-by-step, trusting my instincts. I smile. I get cocky.

And then, the frying pan hits the fire, and within moments I'm hanging my head: instead of forming a perfect bind, my sausage breaks and I break down. I want a firm, solid mass, and I'm watching a crumbly, limp link ooze liquid with embarrassing rapidity.

Given my gender, in the past I've tried to subdue sausage anxiety with predictable contrivances: machines, science, and technique. If there's a tool or a book useful for perfecting my sausage, I've bought or coveted it. I calculate ratios of meat, salt, cure, sugar, and seasonings past the decimal; I measure out ingredients to the gram on digital scales; I poke instant-read thermometers into piles of seasoned meat; I take the grinder blade to my local knife sharpener to get the perfect edge. (We've already covered the stuffer above, of course.) I've got a full supply of dextrose, Bactoferm, and DQ curing salts numbers 1 and 2. The broken binding of my copy of Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie has xeroxes and print-outs from eight other sources, and the pages are filled with crossed-out and recalculated recipes.

It's the sort of thing that I used to do when I was younger: arm myself with all things known to mankind and blast ahead. It hasn't helped. I've learned the hard way that my hysterical masculine attempt to master all knowledge and technology has led, simply, to more panic and collapse.

There is, I think, hope. I'm older, and my approach to my sausage has matured. I'm in less of a hurry, I roll with the challenges, and when the house is on fire, I just find a hydrant for my hose.

If things collapse, well, I try to take the long view, recall the successes of my youth, and keep my head up. I mean, it's just my sausage.

Chris Amirault (aka, well, chrisamirault) is Director of Operations, eG Forums. He also runs a preschool and teaches in Providence, RI.
    • By Tara Middleton
      Alright so as of a few months ago, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Europe--mostly unplanned but with several priorities set in mind: find the best food and locate the most game-changing ice cream spots on the grounds of each city I sought out for. One of the greatest, most architecturally unique and divine cities I have visited thus far has gotta be Vienna, Austria. But what in the heck is there to eat over there?! (you might ask). 'Cause I sure as hell didn't know. So, I desperately reached out to a local Viennese friend of mine, who knows and understands my avid passion for all things edible, and she immediately shot back some must-have food dishes. Doing a bit of research beforehand, I knew I had to try the classic "Kasekreiner". Please forgive my German if I spelled that wrong. But no matter how you say it- say it with passion, because passion is just about all I felt when I ate it. Translated: it basically means cheese sausage. Honestly, what is there not to love about those two words. Even if that's not necessarily your go-to, do me a favor and give it a shot. Trust me, you won't regret it. A classic Austrian pork sausage with pockets of melty cheese, stuffed into a crisp French Baguette. No ketchup necessary (...and as an American, that's saying a lot). YUM. Best spot to try out this one-of-a-kind treat?! Bitzinger bei der Albertina – Würstelstand. Now here's a shot of me with my one true love in front of this classic Viennese green-domed building-- Karlskirche. Now, go check it.

• By DanM
      One of the surprises from our move to Switzerland is the availability of kosher charcuterie. Sausages of all types, confit, mousse, rietttes, etc... One of the recent finds is this block of smoked beef. It has a nice fat layer in the middle. Any thoughts on how to use it? Should I slice it thin and then fry?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.