• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are the Central/South Jersey topics?

bgut1

Of course, there's Nicholas, but that's in a cosmic price point...

Another restaurant that is high quality but of a more moderate price range is Spargo's, in a strip mall in Manalapan. Serving creative, "New American" this is a nice place and it's also BYO.

It's not on the Monmouth county resto list mentioned above, but IMHO it's better than 75% of the places that are on the list.

Spargo's

130 Route 33 (Westbound)

Manalapan

732-294-9921

http://www.spargosgrille.com/

Edited by menton1 (log)

Randi - Join the party. Your input is more than welcome as Middlesex County is not too far away. In fact I grew up in Middlesex County and lived there up to the early 90's.  New Brunswick continues to shine with its restaurant offerings. As far as blasts from the past, in addition to Tastee, I lived on burgers from the White Rose System in Highland Park, bolis from Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick, and mix-ins from Thomas Sweets. In fact, I noticed in this month's NJ Monthly that Mario Batali was a line cook at the Face more than likely during the time I used to frequent the establishment. Who would have thunk it. From Stuff Yer Face to Del Posto. BTW - you are correct about the "famous" regular at the Whitehouse. Big debate - did you tip your sub maker? And did you do so before he made the sub?  :biggrin:

I also frequented the same places in the mid 80's ('87 RU grad). Evelyn's on Easton Ave was my first taste of ethnic food that wasn't Chinese.

Being a pizza-aholic, I was a big fan of the pizza price wars. Usually, a large pie was $5.50. One place would drop to $5.00, the next to $4.50, etc. $3.50 is the cheapest I remember. It wasn't that good, but the price was right.

The good pizza was at the Ledge (I may be a bit biased since I worked there for a year) and Campus Pizza next to the Knight Club.

John - We must be close in age. Although I didn't attend RU, I practically grew up there. How about a few more memories? Corner Tavern, Grease Trucks, the Golden Rail and cheap pitchers at the Knight Club? Captain Video, Greasy Tony's (now open in Arizona), etc.....

Mr. C's and Sunrise were my favorite grease trucks. Nothing like a gyro or Cali cheseburger at 2-3AM. The Golden Rail was too far away!! I lived near the library and student center, so we frequented Patti's. Their bar pies were pretty good (and cheap).

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

There is a good German restaurant called Fritzy's 2200 US Highway 9, Howell, NJ 07731, 732-845-1500 - dunno if they are still open.

For real tasty Indian go to the buffet on the weekend at Rasoi on 1567 Oak Tree Road in Edison

Jerusalem Pizza 231 Raritan Ave., Highland Park

There's 1 south & 2 central for you! :rolleyes:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

My favorites in New Brunswick are Panicos, Soho on George and Stage Left.  Frog and the Peach used to be at the top of my list but I've heard mixed reviews lately and I haven't been there recently myself.

The Frog and the Peach is similarly off my list as my last dining experience was subpar. Although I haven't been to Stage Left in a while, I've always considered it one of the best restaurants in NJ. I've also enjoyed several dinners at Soho on George.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I second the recomendation for Spargo's Grille in Manalapan. I Cavellini in Colts Neck is very good and I love El Meson. When Peking Pavillion finishes rebuilding from the fire I'll be there, I miss them terribly.

I'd avoid Citrus in Freehold though. Very disappointing. And the guy who posted about it must own it. He only posts when he jumps on threads and tries to talk it up.

I second the recomendation for Spargo's Grille in Manalapan.  I Cavellini in Colts Neck is very good and I love El Meson.  When Peking Pavillion finishes rebuilding from the fire I'll be there, I miss them terribly.

I'd avoid Citrus in Freehold though.  Very disappointing.  And the guy who posted about it must own it.  He only posts when he jumps on threads and tries to talk it up.

That's to bad about Citrus. Their website looked interesting. Will defintely try Spargo's. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by bgut1 (log)