• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are the Central/South Jersey topics?

bgut1

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, having been a lurker for the past year (and only recently having started to post on this board) I have noticed the complete lack of threads having to do with restaurants in central/south jersey (i.e. below the alfred e driscoll bridge). I'm sure however that this has more to do about with the fact that the majority of NJ egullet members live up north as opposed to the lack of quality restaurants in my neck of the woods (save for Restaurant Nicholas). But seriously, I really hate not being able to try all those fantastic North Jersey restaurants except if I'm in the area on business or willing to travel an hour for the meal. Can someone please make me feel a little better about living in Monmouth County, NJ? :biggrin:

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, having been a lurker for the past year (and only recently having started to post on this board) I have noticed the complete lack of threads having to do with restaurants in central/south jersey (i.e. below the alfred e driscoll bridge). I'm sure however that this has more to do about with the fact that the majority of NJ egullet members live up north as opposed to the lack of quality restaurants in my neck of the woods (save for Restaurant Nicholas). But seriously, I really hate not being able to try all those fantastic North Jersey restaurants except if I'm in the area on business or willing to travel an hour for the meal. Can someone please make me feel a little better about living in Monmouth County, NJ?  :biggrin:

While it is certainly true that most of the people that post on this part of the fourum live or work in the Northern part of the state, I find many posts on Central and South Jersey.

One thing to try is using the advanced Search on the top of the very top of the EGForum Page.

Enter a search like this Keywords: "Central Jersey" or "South Jersey"

Set Search Where to New Jersey

Set Show results to: As Posts

You can also go to NJ Monthly Restaurant Guide and Search by Monmouth County There are a lot of entries, or check out the Dining Review section as well.

Zagat.com and NJ Living also have many listings for Central and South Jersey.

Another good way of getting information is starting a post with a specific question. If you asked for comments on a particular type of cuisine in your area you might get some posts.

I live in Montclair, restaurant heaven, but I hear next to Montclair the most happening place in New Jersey is Red Bank.

In fact I just did a search on Keywords: "Red Bank", (Note The Quotes Are Important, other while you'll get posts with just red and bank); Where: New Jersey; Display as Posts and came up with 9 pages of posting.

Another thing to try is to start a post asking about restaurants in Red Bank and I'm sure you will see some response.

Have a great day.

Edited by Peter Conway (log)

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Thanks Peter, excellent advice.

bgut1, as he said, after searching for existing threads, the best thing you can do is start your own about your area "Where do you like to eat in Monmouth County?" for example, or "Has anyone tried fill in the blank (restaurant) in (town) ?" Looking to buy an unusual ingredient? "Where can I find recao near Manalapan?"

Thanks for the input and I hope you do stimulate more conversation about your neck of the woods.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, having been a lurker for the past year (and only recently having started to post on this board) I have noticed the complete lack of threads having to do with restaurants in central/south jersey (i.e. below the alfred e driscoll bridge). I'm sure however that this has more to do about with the fact that the majority of NJ egullet members live up north as opposed to the lack of quality restaurants in my neck of the woods (save for Restaurant Nicholas). But seriously, I really hate not being able to try all those fantastic North Jersey restaurants except if I'm in the area on business or willing to travel an hour for the meal. Can someone please make me feel a little better about living in Monmouth County, NJ?  :biggrin:

If in the Freehold area I highly recommend you try Citrus. Here's their website: www.citrusnj.com

I found it to be a really great dining experience.

Peter and Rachel - Thank you both for your reply. You are correct that there are the occasional thread about Red Bank but I guess I was getting a little jealous with all the talk about Amazing Hot Dog and the fabulous chinese/asian restaurants up north. I check this site almost daily and regret that most of the discussions center around restaurants that are for the most part inaccessible to me. I guess as you both suggest, I have to take matters into my own hands and start threads discussing the exciting and diverse restaurants in and around monmouth/ocean counties. :smile: Peter, regarding Red Bank versus Montclair, Red Bank can't hold a candle to your fine city. But for Nicholas and maybe Dish, I don't believe it has much to offer in comparison to Montclair. Don't get me wrong, I love the atmosphere and the shopping downtown, it’s just not that exciting come dinnertime. BTW, my favorite restaurant used to be Sogno before the Esposito’s sold the restaurant about a year or so back. Again, thanks for the reply and I hope I have something to add to this board.

If in the Freehold area I highly recommend you try Citrus. Here's their website: www.citrusnj.com

I found it to be a really great dining experience.

Cartman - Thanks for your suggestion. I have had Citrus on my short list for some time and will definitely try it. Again thanks for the recommendation. BTW, have you had a chance to try Brandl in Belmar? Its my current favorite restaurant in this area. I have eaten there a half dozen time in the past year and have yet to be dissappointed. Solid in all respects.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Peter and Rachel - Thank you both for your reply. You are correct that there are the occasional thread about Red Bank but I guess I was getting a little jealous with all the talk about Amazing Hot Dog and the fabulous chinese/asian restaurants up north.  I check this site almost daily and regret that most of the discussions center around restaurants that are for the most part inaccessible to me. I guess as you both suggest, I have to take matters into my own hands and start threads discussing the exciting and diverse restaurants in and around monmouth/ocean counties.  :smile: Peter, regarding Red Bank versus Montclair, Red Bank can't hold a candle to your fine city. But for Nicholas and maybe Dish, I don't believe it has much to offer in comparison to Montclair. Don't get me wrong, I love the atmosphere and the shopping downtown, it’s just not that exciting come dinnertime. BTW, my favorite restaurant used to be Sogno before the Esposito’s sold the restaurant about a year or so back. Again, thanks for the reply and I hope I have something to add to this board.

I am sure you have a lot to add to the board so post on post on!

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

I used to be a "piney" when I was young... so I hope some of these are still there that I enjoyed.

There is a little diner/restaurant on Routes 1/9 on the way down toward the Waretown Powerplant it is the LAST one on the right heading south so if you see the plant and head north make a u-turn when you see it, it is really good and has a buffet and greek and american food I'd suggest it but I don't recall the name but you can't miss it!

Also I used to love the Lobster House* (*thanks randi) in Cape May that was at the end of the Parkway before you head toward the towns - hubby liked their turtle soup back when... I wasn't that adventurous.

Heading further north there's the Parkway sub shop for a fast nosh in Bricktown it is right off the exit and used to make superb subs! Riddle n Martin in South River makes the best and least expensive subs in the area as well as Tastee Sub shop 1/4 block off of Route 27 in Edison* ask anyone and they'll know the name of that one! It's across from Burger King. Yes, Mike's subs is always good down that way... and like you mentioned in AC area there's a nice cheesesteak place too!

I liked the Frog and the Peach in New Brunswick the one time I went... that's another.

I hope some of these were helpful! :biggrin: If I recall others I'll try to post them!

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Also I used to love the Lobster Shanty (or house?) in Cape May....

... a Sub shop 1/4 block off of Route 27 in Edison (I don't recall the name) ask anyone and they'll know the name of that one!  It's across from Burger King.

It's the Lobster House and Tastee Sub Shop!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Also I used to love the Lobster Shanty (or house?) in Cape May....

... a Sub shop 1/4 block off of Route 27 in Edison (I don't recall the name) ask anyone and they'll know the name of that one!  It's across from Burger King.

It's the Lobster House and Tastee Sub Shop!

Anonymouze & Randi - I used to live in Edison and LOVED Tastee Subs. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Near me, Jersey Mikes makes a decent sub sandwich. Nothing however compares to Whitehouse in Atlantic City. I'll take an Italian or Cheese Steak sub with a package of butterscotch krimpets to go. :biggrin:

Edited by bgut1 (log)

bgut1:

I too live in Monmouth Cty, and while my posts are not many, they almost exclusively concern Monmouth Cty. Regarding the discussion on subs, I personally am not a fan of Jersey Mike's. I get my sub fix at Sorrento's in Freehold Boro (but agree that Whitehouse is *the* place to go). I agree that Nicholas is an exceptional dining spot, and I enjoyed Brandl the one time I ate there. I also enjoy Mahoganny Grille in Manasquan and am a regular at El Meson in Freehold. On my to try list are I Cavallini (Colts Neck), Dish (Red Bank), Whispers and Black Trumpet (Spring Lake). As others have said, keep posting. There are a few of us "Shore" people out there that will contribute what we can.

bgut1:

I too live in Monmouth Cty, and while my posts are not many, they almost exclusively concern Monmouth Cty.  Regarding the discussion on subs, I personally am not a fan of Jersey Mike's.  I get my sub fix at Sorrento's in Freehold Boro (but agree that Whitehouse is *the* place to go).  I agree that Nicholas is an exceptional dining spot, and I enjoyed Brandl the one time I ate there.  I also enjoy Mahoganny Grille in Manasquan and am a regular at El Meson in Freehold.  On my to try list are I Cavallini (Colts Neck), Dish (Red Bank), Whispers and Black Trumpet (Spring Lake).  As others have said, keep posting.  There are a few of us "Shore" people out there that will contribute what we can.

jsfein - Nice to know I'm not alone. We have a very similar try list. I've had a very bad experience waiting for a table at Mahoganny last year and vowed not to return to try it. Otherwise I know quite a few people who have loved the food. Have tasted food prepared by Whispers at a tasting event and was quite impressed. My problem with our area is the lack of good quality casual dining. If you are ever in Toms River there are two restaurants to try downtown; Slowly and the newly opened Bistro 44. BTW, have you tried Juanitos in Red Bank and how does it compare to El Meson?

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I've had a very bad experience waiting for a table at Mahoganny last year and vowed not to return to try it.

I recently read on another forum that Mahoganny Grille has expanded and in so doing now takes reservations. Its worth another look (the food is really good), especially with a reservation.

I have been to both the original Juanito's in Red Bank and Juanito's II in Howell. The original is far superior to the Howell location, but I prefer El Meson (but then again, I also live 5 minutes from El Meson).

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I used to live in Edison and LOVED Tastee Subs. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Near me, Jersey Mikes makes a decent sub sandwich. Nothing however compares to Whitehouse in Atlantic City. I'll take an Italian or Cheese Steak sub with a package of butterscotch krimpets to go. :biggrin:

I haven't gone to Tastee Subs since I was in college (Rutgers) in the 70s! eek! Maybe I should give them a try again.

And I grew up with Whitehouse Subs since I was grew up in Margate, just a hop and a skip from AC.

And by Italian sub - do you mean their "Regular"? I loved "Regulars" and of course Cheese Steaks as well.

I can't offer much advice when it comes to Monmouth Country, I've been in Middlesex County since the 70s (up near the Union County border since '85).

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi - Join the party. Your input is more than welcome as Middlesex County is not too far away. In fact I grew up in Middlesex County and lived there up to the early 90's. New Brunswick continues to shine with its restaurant offerings. As far as blasts from the past, in addition to Tastee, I lived on burgers from the White Rose System in Highland Park, bolis from Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick, and mix-ins from Thomas Sweets. In fact, I noticed in this month's NJ Monthly that Mario Batali was a line cook at the Face more than likely during the time I used to frequent the establishment. Who would have thunk it. From Stuff Yer Face to Del Posto. BTW - you are correct about the "famous" regular at the Whitehouse. Big debate - did you tip your sub maker? And did you do so before he made the sub? :biggrin:

Edited by bgut1 (log)

bgut1:

I too live in Monmouth Cty, and while my posts are not many, they almost exclusively concern Monmouth Cty.  Regarding the discussion on subs, I personally am not a fan of Jersey Mike's.  I get my sub fix at Sorrento's in Freehold Boro (but agree that Whitehouse is *the* place to go).  I agree that Nicholas is an exceptional dining spot, and I enjoyed Brandl the one time I ate there.  I also enjoy Mahoganny Grille in Manasquan and am a regular at El Meson in Freehold.  On my to try list are I Cavallini (Colts Neck), Dish (Red Bank), Whispers and Black Trumpet (Spring Lake).  As others have said, keep posting.  There are a few of us "Shore" people out there that will contribute what we can.

I'll be going to Black Trumpet in a couple of weeks so I will be able to let you know of my experience.

Lori

Randi - Join the party. Your input is more than welcome as Middlesex County is not too far away. In fact I grew up in Middlesex County and lived there up to the early 90's.  New Brunswick continues to shine with its restaurant offerings. As far as blasts from the past, in addition to Tastee, I lived on burgers from the White Rose System in Highland Park, bolis from Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick, and mix-ins from Thomas Sweets. In fact, I noticed in this month's NJ Monthly that Mario Batali was a line cook at the Face more than likely during the time I used to frequent the establishment. Who would have thunk it. From Stuff Yer Face to Del Posto. BTW - you are correct about the "famous" regular at the Whitehouse. Big debate - did you tip your sub maker? And did you do so before he made the sub?  :biggrin:

Never went to the White Rose System, but I am eager to. Stuff Yer Face had just opened, I think, when I was in school. We also went to Greasy Tony's.

And no, I never tipped the sub maker - never even knew it was a debate :shock:

Randi - Join the party. Your input is more than welcome as Middlesex County is not too far away. In fact I grew up in Middlesex County and lived there up to the early 90's.  New Brunswick continues to shine with its restaurant offerings. As far as blasts from the past, in addition to Tastee, I lived on burgers from the White Rose System in Highland Park, bolis from Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick, and mix-ins from Thomas Sweets. In fact, I noticed in this month's NJ Monthly that Mario Batali was a line cook at the Face more than likely during the time I used to frequent the establishment. Who would have thunk it. From Stuff Yer Face to Del Posto. BTW - you are correct about the "famous" regular at the Whitehouse. Big debate - did you tip your sub maker? And did you do so before he made the sub?  :biggrin:

I also frequented the same places in the mid 80's ('87 RU grad). Evelyn's on Easton Ave was my first taste of ethnic food that wasn't Chinese.

Being a pizza-aholic, I was a big fan of the pizza price wars. Usually, a large pie was $5.50. One place would drop to $5.00, the next to $4.50, etc. $3.50 is the cheapest I remember. It wasn't that good, but the price was right.

The good pizza was at the Ledge (I may be a bit biased since I worked there for a year) and Campus Pizza next to the Knight Club.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Can someone please make me feel a little better about living in Monmouth County, NJ?  :biggrin:

you're much closer to Stage Left than we are. that's got to make you feel good, right? :unsure::biggrin:

Funny that you say that, I haven't been to Srage Left in years (I believe Yves was the Chef), It used to be my favorite when I lived in the area. Mark and Francis are the best. I need to return. So I guess its not close enough. :biggrin:

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I also frequented the same places in the mid 80's ('87 RU grad). Evelyn's on Easton Ave was my first taste of ethnic food that wasn't Chinese.

Being a pizza-aholic, I was a big fan of the pizza price wars. Usually, a large pie was $5.50. One place would drop to $5.00, the next to $4.50, etc. $3.50 is the cheapest I remember. It wasn't that good, but the price was right.

The good pizza was at the Ledge (I may be a bit biased since I worked there for a year) and Campus Pizza next to the Knight Club.

John - We must be close in age. Although I didn't attend RU, I practically grew up there. How about a few more memories? Corner Tavern, Grease Trucks, the Golden Rail and cheap pitchers at the Knight Club? Captain Video, Greasy Tony's (now open in Arizona), etc.....

Never went to the White Rose System, but I am eager to. Stuff Yer Face had just opened, I think, when I was in school. We also went to Greasy Tony's.

And no, I never tipped the sub maker - never even knew it was a debate :shock:

The System .... You don't know what your missing ....... a double Cali Burger with cheese or a pork roll sandwich. YUMMMMM Tastes better late at night.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I've recently been compiling a list of Monmouth County restaurants that have an online presence.

Monmouth County online Restaurant Listing

Bear in mind that I'm just starting this project. There is little info such as type of cuisine and locations yet. It is just listed alphabetically. Also, the only criterea for an establishment to be listed here is that they have a website. Inclusion in this listing does not imply that they are recommended.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak