• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tempe AZ -- Any suggestions

Hi Guys,

I'm making my first trip out to Tempe this Sunday, and staying till Wednesday. Can anyone give me some great restaurants to visit? I'm a foodie, and value cooking skills. Only catch is that I can't tolerate the hot stuff...at all :( I love Tex-Mex, but I have to leave all the chile out.... I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

--Warren

When I go to Tempe for the dog shows, we usually eat at the Four Peaks Brewing company

or the Stockyards restaurant in Phoenix which is a very short drive.

You said you don't care for hot stuff and most of the other restaurants I have tried do have spicy food.

Lalibela (I am not sure I am spelling it correctly) is an interesting Ethiopian restaurant near the college where the show is held. I don't even know if it is still open, but I liked it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks guys...

I also saw the thread for Sea Saw . I just love sushi, and can probably afford the cost, but I'm traveling with two other people, and I'm not sure the company would spring for the Omakase. Does anyone know what the current price is? I might end up going alone :(

Lalibela (I am not sure I am spelling it correctly) is an interesting Ethiopian restaurant near the college where the show is held.  I don't even know if it is still open, but I liked it.

Lalibela (I'm not sure of the spelling either) is still there, and it's open. It's a good choice with two or three other people, as you can order a big platter to share. There are one or two spicy items, but I'm sure they'd have substitutions if you can't handle them.

Someone at the hotel is bound to direct you to Monte's La Casa Vieja. It's been around for at least 50 years, and the ambiance is wonderful -- but don't go. The food is rather amazingly disappointing, unless you're in the mood for diner food (i.e. mashed potatoes served with an ice-cream scoop).

There's a mideastern restaurant inside a market in Tempe (I can't think of the name, but someone at the hotel is bound to know which place I mean) that's very good for casual and relatively fast food -- falafel plate, that sort of thing.

Tempe isn't my normal stomping grounds, I'm afraid, and I don't head there for fine dining. (In part, it's because most of the options are geared towards students' budgets.) I usually end up at Char's, which is Thai and spicy -- so not a good choice for you.