• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausage stuffers - what to look for?

ronnie_suburban

Otherwise, I'd give it a standard soap and water wash (and dry) and then a wipe down with a safe solution of water and bleach (1 gallon water and 1 capfull of bleach, IIRC).  Definitely remember to remove the 'O' ring on the stuffer and clean it separately.

=R=

The rule for making a sanitizing solution using normal (6% sodium hypochlorite - check the label) bleach is:

1 Tablespoon bleach per gallon of water, or

1 teaspoon bleach per litre or quart of water.

Use plain bleach, not any of the household kinds that have additives or fragrances. Bleach loses strength with age, so discard any that's been in the closet for years.

I suggest using a mister to spray the sanitizer on rather than wiping it on, and after a few minutes rinse the sanitizer off with clean water.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Richard, I'm guessing that the really big ones like Edward Don might carry the lube. I ordered my can on-line from either Butcher-Packer or Sausage Maker, I can't remember which (but they both carry it).

Thanks, Dave, for filling in the blanks. It's been a while since I've made a bleach solution and couldn't remember the specific volumes. The spray application sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely use this info, should the need arise.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Diluted bleach sanitizing solutions should technically be used within 24 hours after they're mixed, although in the real world (restaurants) they are often used within a week or so. The cost of fresh solution is so small that I'd err on the side of caution.

And I forgot to mention above: Always label sanitizing solution, and store it out of the food prep area. It looks just like water.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 2 weeks later...

My Grizzly 5# arrived last week in time for birthday and father's day; it's a beaut! I have to figure out a way to anchor it to a base of some sort, but I think that's a convenience, not a necessity.

Lube update: I found a $3 tube of Petro-Gel at our local Restaurant Depot, but it took some looking. (It was on an aisle end-cap beneath something or other.)

As far as I can tell, I'm ready for a weekend makin' links. Update to follow.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

One thing which hasn't been mentioned here which I find to be a great advantage for the piston type stuffers, grizzly et al. is the far better definition of the finished product. back when I was using a KA type stuffer (actually Kenwood) my forcemeat tended to become smeared leading to loss of texture and an apparent breakdown of the bind, This has not happened since using a piston type hand cranked stuffer. For me they win hands down just for this alone.

Best Regards,

Richard

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

One thing which hasn't been mentioned here which I find to be a great advantage for the piston type stuffers, grizzly et al. is the far better definition of the finished product. back when I was using a KA type stuffer (actually Kenwood) my forcemeat tended to become smeared leading to loss of texture and an apparent breakdown of the bind, This has not happened since using a piston type hand cranked stuffer. For me they win hands down just for this alone.

I completely agree. The piston-style stuffer gives far better definition, incorporates less air, allows for better flow control, can thus be much faster (which means your meat spends less time in the warm air, among other things), and costs less. Pick your criterion: it's the best way to go by any measure!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 3 months later...
Neither Grizzly nor Northern Tool seem ship to Canada *groan*. Are there any other similarly priced piston-type stuffers out there?

You discovered that too eh? I put in a suggestion to Lee Valley that they start carrying one, I did get a reply that they would consider it.

I actually had Northern tool all set to ship to my aunts place in Maryland, but then they figured out that my credit card was attached to a Canadian address and they wouldn't ship it to her.

I have seen them on e-bay occasionally at a slightly higher price, but they will ship to Canada.

I actually had Northern tool all set to ship to my aunts place in Maryland, but then they figured out that my credit card was attached to a Canadian address and they wouldn't ship it to her.

Why would this matter, are they anti-Canadian or something :blink: ?

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Why would this matter, are they anti-Canadian or something :blink: ?

There are a lot of companies that don't like dealing with complaints about things getting delayed at the border, the customs forms they have to fill out to ship out of the country etc, so they just choose not to sell to us. We are not their biggest market I guess.

It would be really exciting if we could get Lee Valley to sell them, cause then they would be the best stuffer at a reasonable price. Perhaps you might want to put in a suggestion at Lee Valley as well, the more of us who do, the quicker they'll carry it I bet.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

It's weirder than that... Grizzly will ship to other countries. Sometimes. But not Canada. They agreed to ship a stuffer to me in Hong Kong, but then backed out when they saw I had a non-US credit card. I ended up getting a friend to buy the stuffer for me in the US.

Interestingly, all these cheapy stuffers, and most of Grizzly's and N. Tool's grinders, are made by the same company, in Taiwan. However, that company doesn't sell retail.

I really like my Grizzly stuffer. It's good value, easy to use and clean, and makes far better sausage than screw stuffers. And the vertical piston design doesn't have to be clamped to a table. These are not as well made as a F. Dick or Sirman; the gears are resin instead of stainless steel, and mine is obviously going to fail first at the point where the steel handle - very loosely - screws onto the resin driveshaft. But the cheapest F. Dick is about $450, and this is $75 including shipping.

For lubing the o-ring, don't waste time searching for special food-grade lubes at restaurant supply stores. Food-grade lube = pharmaceutical grade petroleum jelly = Vaseline (or the unbranded equivalent), available at any drugstore. In the USA, it should say 'petroleum jelly USP' on the label, and have no other ingredients. You don't want scented or medicated or anything, just plain Vaseline.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 3 weeks later...
Neither Grizzly nor Northern Tool seem ship to Canada *groan*. Are there any other similarly priced piston-type stuffers out there?

I was just on the Northern Tool website looking at their stuffer, and there's a big banner on the side with the words "Northern ships to Canada" in big letters at the top. It says that if you place the order online, someone will call you to complete the order, though there is a note that certain items can't be shipped up here. Has anyone tried this? Is the stuffer one of those items that can't be shipped?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

If you do have problems let me know. I'm coming back to Kingston in a few weeks, and I'd be happy to order one, and bring it down with me. I used to be a grad student in the Biology department (and I think I sold you some furniture when I was leaving). It would at the very least same you some duty fees.

As for stuffers, I use a Grizzley that I got off Amazon.com. It works great, and I've never had a problem with it.

Edited by piperdown (log)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The NT and Grizzly 5lb stuffers are, AFAIK, the same thing. Amazon (US) have been a competitive source of the Grizzly-attributed item.

Even at around double the price (here in the UK) its well worthwhile.

I've got a couple of parallel stainless tubes ("horns") to replace the tapered plastic ones supplied. A good upgrade, I think.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 3 months later...

I've been using my Hobart stand mixer to stuff sausages with but would love to hear the pros and cons of a hand crank sausage stuffer like the F. Dick models I've been looking at. Is the main advantage better control?

Edited by chefunk (log)

I've been using my Hobart stand mixer to stuff sausages with but would love to hear the pros and cons of a hand crank sausage stuffer like the F. Dick models I've been looking at.  Is the main advantage better control?

Three advantages, I'd say.

Yes better control.

And way easier to use with just two hands.

But the big advantage, IMHO, is that a piston (as opposed to a screw) doesn't "screw up" the texture of the sausage. It doesn't mess with the bits in a coarsely-ground sausage (especially salami and the like), and it doesn't heat the mix -- which, if you find and read the big Ruhlman & Polcyn "Charcuterie" threads, you'll realise becomes a very important consideration!

I can't speak to the subject of expensive piston stuffers, but I'm still delighted with my ultra-basic NT/Gizzly/etc 5lb model, and my aftermarket (stainless) parallel stuffing tubes.

Its a whole different game to any of the screw-feed units I've experienced.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 8 months later...

Thanks for all the information about stuffers. I purchased a Northern Industrial Vertical 15 lb. Had it shipped to Canada, $304 CD. My sweetie made a nice oil finished wooden base for it. Works a treat when placed on a non-skid shelf pad. We made Spicy Italian and Sweet Italian with friends who had never made sausage before. Works really well; easy to clean; and I store it downstairs covered by a pillow case.!

PA160030.jpg

PA130009.jpg

Thanks for all the information about stuffers. I purchased a Northern Industrial Vertical 15 lb. Had it shipped to Canada, $304 CD. My sweetie made a nice oil finished wooden base for it. Works a treat when placed on a non-skid shelf pad. We made Spicy Italian and Sweet Italian with friends who had never made sausage before. Works really well; easy to clean; and I store it downstairs covered by a pillow case.!

Very nice. You have inspired me now that the weather here in South Texas is starting to cool off.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.