• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casual Fine Dining in Western Canada

jamiemaw

A few years back I was approached by an Earl's server at the Broadway location where they offered my wife and I an invitation to bring along 8 friends to see what Earls was all about. I took them up on their offer and spent close to 3 hours learning about their service, how the kitchen operated, there team effort in regards to having close to zero waste, etc. It was quite impressive of how everything seemed to run quite smoothly and they new exactly how much food was wasted at the end of each night and strived to have as little as possible.

Does anyone know if this program still exists or if anyone else had been on a group tour like this?

I'd appreciate some feedback on my experience at Cactus Club (Broadway) and Earl's.

Last night, a girlfriend, myself, and four kids (ages 7-12) went to Cactus Club for dinner. We arrived at about 5:50 pm, knowing it gets quite busy on Saturday nights. When we arrived at the door, the Glamour Gals at the front desk tell us it will be a 45 minute wait for a table. There was no one else waiting to be seated. We got the "oh, a bunch of large groups JUST came in". To me, it seemed pretty clear they didn't want us there. As if we were going to wait 45 minutes with kids in tow? We are regulars (as a family of 4) and have never encountered anything like this. :angry:

So we toddle off to Earl's. Same situation. It'll be a bit of a wait, ladies. Meanwhile, streams of people were being seated before us. We're hungry, kids are starving.....after a 30+ minute wait we left, unbelievably frustrated with what we had just experienced. I was seething.

To both me, and my friend, we got shown the door because, simply, on a Saturday night they were more interested in the bottom line than serving a party that wouldn't have a large bar tab.

I'm frustrated that I didn't do anything. Should I have spoken to the manager? Could this all have been a strange coincidence? Help me here!

PS we came back to my place and ordered pizza. Even that came 30 minutes late!

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I'd appreciate some feedback on my experience at Cactus Club (Broadway) and Earl's.

Last night, a girlfriend, myself, and four kids (ages 7-12) went to Cactus Club for dinner.  We arrived at about 5:50 pm, knowing it gets quite busy on Saturday nights.  When we arrived at the door, the Glamour Gals at the front desk tell us it will be a 45 minute wait for a table.  There was no one else waiting to be seated.  We got the "oh, a bunch of large groups JUST came in".  To me, it seemed pretty clear they didn't want us there.  As if we were going to wait 45 minutes with kids in tow?  We are regulars (as a family of 4) and have never encountered anything like this. :angry:

So we toddle off to Earl's.  Same situation.  It'll be a bit of a wait, ladies.  Meanwhile, streams of people were being seated before us.  We're hungry, kids are starving.....after a 30+ minute wait we left, unbelievably frustrated with what we had just experienced.  I was seething.

To both me, and my friend, we got shown the door because, simply, on a Saturday night they were more interested in the bottom line than serving a party that wouldn't have a large bar tab. 

I'm frustrated that I didn't do anything.  Should I have spoken to the manager?  Could this all have been a strange coincidence?  Help me here!

PS  we came back to my place and ordered pizza.  Even that came 30 minutes late!

A table of six is more difficult to seat than a table of 2 or 4, for example. It could be that they just didn't have enough large tables (or smaller tables that could be moved together) for your group at that time. You didn't mention if either place was already full, or if you noticed an area which might have accomodated your group. I have been to restaurants with a group of 4, and been seated both ahead of groups there before me, or after groups who came after me. In either case, it was just a matter of the size of table available.

But yes, it is quite possible that they didn't want to seat a group with 4 young children on a Sat. night. I might call the manager just to clarify, but not to complain since, as I said, you don't mention if you could actually see that there would have been space for your party there.

I couldn't actually see if there was space available, but I could only see about 1/4 of the restaurant.

It could very well be that they were full....but the 45 minute thing just didn't ring true. And Cactus Club doesn't allow for reservations except for large parties, which is why we arrived before 6 pm.

Thanks for the feedback.....

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I can't comment on your experience, but I would suggest if you find yourself in a similar situation again you might try the Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. We went last night around 6pm (2 adults; 2kids) and there were a number of larger parties all with numerous kids of all ages. It's one of the better options, I think (there's a play area and the staff are great with the children) - and the pizzas are good.