• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kits wine store

No disrespect to the new staff and those who are holdovers through the change of ownership at the kits wine store (on 4th near capers), but anybody know whats become of the old staff? Are they still 'working in wine'?

I used to feel pretty comfortable putting my fate in the hands of a few really good staff whose eyes would bug out of their heads if you asked them what they been drinkin' lately. Then we'd do the highspeed tour of the shop. They have access to more wine than me, its their job, passion etc... I do this with food and coffee. I like it when people ask me the same thing with the new coffees we get in the store...Ask the pasty guy at Les amis what cheese he had for dinner the night before and you'll get what i'm saying.

Anyway, i still go to the kits shop and i have no real complaints. But i wonder: where the fellas at?! Failing that, i'll take wine store suggestions (preferably for service not just selection).

Thanks for your help and have a wonderful day

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Failing that, i'll take wine store suggestions (preferably for service not just selection). 

Marquis Wine Cellars is my recommendation. Especially Dave Lancelot who has worked there for many years and is unfailingly helpful, plus a really nice guy. He did not pay me to say this.

Prices are good too, and they always have a stack of EAT magazines and City Food.

Cheers,

Anne

Failing that, i'll take wine store suggestions (preferably for service not just selection). 

Marquis Wine Cellars is my recommendation. Especially Dave Lancelot who has worked there for many years and is unfailingly helpful, plus a really nice guy. He did not pay me to say this.

Prices are good too, and they always have a stack of EAT magazines and City Food.

I'd second the Marquis recommendation.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Well, Rebecca, Kirk, Susan & Neil are all still there, and have been since day one. Who are you missing? I may have updates.

Also, keepin mind that a lot of staff 'shuttle' between Dundarave (their sister store) and Kits. Plus, a couple wives have just had babies, putting some Dads on parental leave...

k

Well, Rebecca, Kirk, Susan & Neil are all still there, and have been since day one.  Who are you missing?  I may have updates.

Also, keepin mind that a lot of staff 'shuttle' between Dundarave (their sister store) and Kits.  Plus, a couple wives have just had babies, putting some Dads on parental leave...

k

thank-you kurtisk, wine guy.

i don't remember first names but one guy was blond 25-30, the other dark haired bout same age. They are probably at the other store - which i wasn't aware of.

again, the service has remained pretty excellent at kits. i just remember these two guys because they made me excited to try what was recommended simply by their enthusiasm. The guy who is still at the 4th ave store (scottish guy, i think) has always been stellar and full of humble, helpful suggestions/descriptions etc...

i like marquis, too. it was where i went when i lived downtown.

thanks.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

No disrespect to the new staff and those who are holdovers through the change of ownership at the kits wine store (on 4th near capers), but anybody know whats become of the old staff?  Are they still 'working in wine'?

I used to feel pretty comfortable putting my fate in the hands of a few really good staff whose eyes would bug out of their heads if you asked them what they been drinkin' lately. Then we'd do the highspeed tour of the shop.  They have access to more wine than me, its their job, passion etc... I do this with food and coffee. I like it when people ask me the same thing with the new coffees we get in the store...Ask the pasty guy at Les amis what cheese he had for dinner the night before and you'll get what i'm saying.

Anyway, i still go to the kits shop and i have no real complaints.  But i wonder: where the fellas at?! Failing that, i'll take wine store suggestions (preferably for service not just selection). 

Who is the new owner?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

The new owner is the Liqour Wherehouse (Liqour Barn) from Alberta I do believe. They have been on a big buyer spree in B.C. since Summer of last year.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The new owner is the Liqour Wherehouse (Liqour Barn) from Alberta I do believe. They have been on a big buyer spree in B.C. since Summer of last year.

Cheers,

Stephen

Thanks Stephen - do you know what else they have scooped up in this market? Are they doing this in anticipation -rightly or wrongly judged - of privatization of the LDB monopoly?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Triple the Marquis choice. Sig other and I entrust David Lancelot et. al. and others at Marquis (Andrew, John, Kevin, Kristalla (sic - sorry about the spelling) etc.) with my Visa card, and their opinions, more so recently than in the past for reasons that others will know esp. DL. They are as good as it gets in the Province IMHO. I liked the store you are talking about but you really need to talk with the people that run the show. John at Marquis really seeks to get the best you can at a variety of price points. Sometimes price is no object (and I pay a lot a bottle - but likely can not even get it anywhere in the world) other times he gets deals for very low prices. Chances are you can walk in and ask anyone in the store what to get for a certain $ amount and you will walk away a happy camper. I will eat my words if that is wrong. Can not say the same about the LCBO in Ontario that is for sure.

officially left egullet....

The dark-haired guy was likely Graham Versailles. Has a glint in his eye that holds the knife edge between exuberance and insanity.

He's married to a neurologist who's expecting their second child. Otherwise, he cooks, thinks about food and watches the muppets DVD with his beautiful 4-yr old daughter.

Edited by MightyMrQ (log)

Quentin Kayne