• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ansill Opening

Dish

That's too bad about the marrow.  I hope they were just having an off night; when I had it (over  a year ago, to be sure), it was rich and buttery and awesome.

We also ordered the marrow and it was the low-light of the dinner and as rlibkind described. I ordered it because a marrow appetizer at Pif several years ago was excellent.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

That's too bad about the marrow.  I hope they were just having an off night; when I had it (over  a year ago, to be sure), it was rich and buttery and awesome.

We also ordered the marrow and it was the low-light of the dinner and as rlibkind described. I ordered it because a marrow appetizer at Pif several years ago was excellent.

I have had the marrow served three different ways at Ansill. Some worked better than others, but the first time was sublime.

three pieces served on three small pieces of brioche, with pink sea salt and parsley was my favorite.

he usually reserved the in-bone version for Pif, but he tried it at Ansill for a short while.

i think now he's serving 3 pieces on a single larger piece of toast? pretty much the same as the first prep. i'm pretty sure that he cooks the marrow inside the bone. then he chills it till it's cold so it can pop out of the bone. but maybe that's changed since i worked there.

Edited by mattohara (log)

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 5 weeks later...

On the subject of bone marrow at Ansill:

You know how bone marrow is so rich that usually it's served with something to cut through the richness, even if it's just some parsley? It takes a particular kind of evil genius to come up with the idea of the cutting the richness of bone marrow with perfectly cooked pieces of NY strip steak. That's right, the NY strip steak on the menu is billed as coming with bone marrow, but this isn't just steak bordelaise, with marrow either in the sauce or slices of it as a garnish. This is a freaking gigantic bone on the plate right there next to the pieces of steak.

Let me tell you, it's a killer combo. (Quite literally, I fear; I've only eaten fruit salad today so far.)

Extremely low quality picture, but perhaps it conveys a sense of just how evil this dish was. What you see is a humongous chunk of marrow that I harvested from the bone on top of a piece of steak. I think there might be some leeks in between.

gallery_21675_3170_236559.jpg

Everything else was delicious, btw. The grilled romaine with anchovy vinaigrette is highly recommended, in particular.

Edited by dagordon (log)

ansill's having some kinda meatfest on march 4 and 5.  there will be roast pig.  i believe i shall try and check it out.

It's the same "French Barbecue" deal they had last year. Didn't make it then, but it sounded fun.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

It's the same "French Barbecue" deal they had last year. Didn't make it then, but it sounded fun.

yeah totes - and it's like $35 or something, so cheap enough to bother!

edited: $35 for two! even cheaper. i can't afford not to go.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

edited: $35 for two!  even cheaper.  i can't afford not to go.

For two? Really? That's just ridiculous. Okay, I know where I'll be on Thursday.

well, that's what the email says. i wonder if the boy would like crispy pig's trotters. i suspect he would.

totes, here ya go:

No need to wait until summer, Ansill's Euro-Style BBQ is back Wednesday, March 4th and Thursday, March 5th.

$35 gets you a heaping plate of roasted pig, assorted grilled meats, marinated vegetables and a selection of sauces. Each plate is enough for two. What a deal!

Ansill's Euro-Style BBQ can also be paired with an excellent selection of beer or wines by the glass, carafe or bottle for an additional cost.

You're sure to be in back-yard heaven...in the comfort of Ansill's dining room!

Euro-Style Barbeque starts at 6:00 PM. Call 215.627.2485 for reservations.

On the subject of bone marrow at Ansill:

You know how bone marrow is so rich that usually it's served with something to cut through the richness, even if it's just some parsley? It takes a particular kind of evil genius to come up with the idea of the cutting the richness of bone marrow with perfectly cooked pieces of NY strip steak. That's right, the NY strip steak on the menu is billed as coming with bone marrow, but this isn't just steak bordelaise, with marrow either in the sauce or slices of it as a garnish. This is a freaking gigantic bone on the plate right there next to the pieces of steak.

Let me tell you, it's a killer combo. (Quite literally, I fear; I've only eaten fruit salad today so far.)

Extremely low quality picture, but perhaps it conveys a sense of just how evil this dish was. What you see is a humongous chunk of marrow that I harvested from the bone on top of a piece of steak. I think there might be some leeks in between.

gallery_21675_3170_236559.jpg

Everything else was delicious, btw. The grilled romaine with anchovy vinaigrette is highly recommended, in particular.

Now THAT is what I wanted to try when I mentioned bone marrow on the Distrito thread. The stuff I had looked nothing like that. I think I need some roasted pig and assorted grilled meats in my life...

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is sad. :sad:

Friday, July 10, 2009

Ansill closes

Citing the economy, David Ansill has closed Ansill, his ambitious, Euro-style foodie-centric bistro at Third and Bainbridge Streets in Queen Village.

It opened in February 2006 as an offshoot of Pif, his now-closed French bistro in South Philly.

Posted by Michael Klein @ 6:23 PM

no need for a link; full Inky text above

Isn't there an urban legend that Larry Fine of The Three Stooges grew up in that building?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Citing the economy, David Ansill has closed Ansill, his ambitious, Euro-style foodie-centric bistro at Third and Bainbridge Streets in Queen Village.

It opened in February 2006 as an offshoot of Pif, his now-closed French bistro in South Philly.

This is a little strangely worded. How was it an "offshoot," other than being another restaurant by David Ansill? It changed focus slightly a few times, but other than the Pif nights (which were added later) it was specifically NOT Pif Parte Deux.

Also, he's looking to reopen in the fall. He owns the building, so while he presumably has a mortgage to pay, it's not as if the landlord is going to kick him out.