• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Torino Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

peterpumkino

The first doorway photo is great. I'm not sure I understand the rest of the report though. You went to Torino during the Olympics, and are writing off the place because they brought a 15E bottle of Chianti? Maybe you should consider giving it another try when it is a little quieter and you can go to some of the good restaurants?

The first doorway photo is great.  I'm not sure I understand the rest of the report though.  You went to Torino during the Olympics, and are writing off the place because they brought a 15E bottle of Chianti?  Maybe you should consider giving it another try when it is a little quieter and you can go to some of the good restaurants?

Writing it off? Perhaps but only from a culinary standpoint as compared to the Monferrato and the Langhe, but Turin is a fantastic city for many things besides food. I was warned by several locals that the food is expensive and of average quality in Turin and my (admittedly) first trip seemed to confirmed it. It wasn't just the 15 euro bottle of Chianti (read it again, please). I will go back, to be sure.... but I will choose my restaurants more carefully. All that having been said, I am quite sure most people would be thrilled with the restaurants of Turin as long as they haven't been to Monferrato or the Langhe first.

There has apparently been some weirdly-inspired criticism of NBC in the States for using the name "Torino" instead of the translated "Turin" in all their Olympic Programming.  Can't understand why anyone would care. 

Everyone I have spoken to in Monferrato calls it Turin... but they use many French words in the Piemonte, and they certainly do not consider themselves to be Italian.

In this forum's cooking thread on Piemonte, I mentioned an article on Turin that the writer Andrea Lee contributed to Gourmet.

I had also mentioned Roberto Donna's assigned task during the Olympic coverage. What I did not provide is this link to the Food Section of the Washington Post.

I believe that if you scroll around in that same section you'll find a quiz that I meant to bring to the attention of those who have joined Kevin in cooking their way through various regions of Italy. The writer, unfortunately, did minimal research so each region does not necessarily match up with the most "typical" of its dishes or foods. Nonetheless, it may prove fun.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

I'm going to be a delegate at Terra Madre in ocotber, so I'm looking for your recommendations for places to eat in Turin. I've been there before, but the only place I found in town that I liked was Da'Giovanni. Got any other suggestions?

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Hi all.

I'm going to be a delegate at Terra Madre in ocotber, so I'm looking for your recommendations for places to eat in Turin.  I've been there before, but the only place I found in town that I liked was Da'Giovanni.  Got any other suggestions?

Try Osteria Antiche Sere. It's off the beaten track but always busy, serving excellent and low-priced piemontese food.

If you walk to the Osteria, you pass the Turin outdoor food stalls, which seem to go on forever.

And don't forget GROM gelateria, near the train station.

I will also be going up; to slow food. don't know if I will also get to Terre Madre.. do you have to be involved..a chef or producer?

I heard of the Tre Galline.. always closed when I have gone.

I am heading for Chocolate!!! Gobino... and Grom.. but we have one hear too now in FLorence.

And don't forget GROM gelateria, near the train station.
Grom.. but we have one hear too now in FLorence.

So which Grom is better (or are they equivalent)? I've only been to the one in Florence, but found it quite good. The Sorrento lemon granita, in particular, was really first-rate, but I liked the gelato as well.

We really enjoyed Tre Galline several years ago. We had a reservation for 8:30 pm, but when we arrived, the door was locked and the place seemed empty. We rang the bell, and they let us in. The place was full by 9:00 pm. The tasting menu was excellent and the wine list was very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm also coming to Terrra Madre in October, from Vancouver, and was thinking of doing a stage while I'm there. 

Can anyone reccomend someone in the area I should contact about a stage?

Cheers

Why not check with the University of Gastronomic Sciences? They're a Slow food enterprise, and do lots of stages for their students - perhaps they know of others?

I will also be going up; to slow food. don't know if I will also get to Terre Madre.. do you have to be involved..a chef or producer?

Most of it is for delegates only, but there will be some sessions open to the public.

The details areHERE

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

I'm also coming to Terrra Madre in October, from Vancouver, and was thinking of doing a stage while I'm there. 

Can anyone reccomend someone in the area I should contact about a stage?

Cheers

Why not check with the University of Gastronomic Sciences? They're a Slow food enterprise, and do lots of stages for their students - perhaps they know of others?

Most of it is for delegates only, but there will be some sessions open to the public.

The details areHERE

If you are referring to the Univ in Bra, they do not have a student kitchen onsight at the school. I'm not sure they would have any info at all about staging. You might try Ital.Cook in Jesi as I know they arrange stages for their students. Otherwise, just contact a restaurant directly.,

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bring this back to the top to see if we could garner a few more recs for those of us headed to Salon Gusto or Terra Madre. I will be meeting a couple of food business types as well as a good friend that is delegate to Terra Madre. We want to go out for a great , long, memorable meal on Thursday the first day of the event. Some place rustic, great piemonte cooking and not a starred type of place. A place to linger, drink, laugh and eat great food.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

If I were going and I wish I were, I would be sure to hit Combal.0. I would go there because it looks like a fascinating restaurant and I recently met Chef Davide Scabin in NYC. He seems like a fascinating and very intelligent man and I would love to experience his cooking.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks Doc but we are looking for a much lower key place. It will be a large group (6 or more maybe) with too many budgets, tastes and food phobias for such a great place. My wife and I will most likely go ourselves if we can get in during the event. What have you heard about Antiche Sere ? It was recommended by someone I sort of trust.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

We are planning a "little do" in the Monferrato (Asti and just north) the day after Salone del Gusto on Tuesday Oct 31. Nothing is finalized, but some pretty interesting people should show up. If anyone is interested in attending, contact me off-line for more details.

• 3 weeks later...

I know i 'm damn late out, but i was wondering if anyone know of a super place to go dine in Torino this weekend probably everything is booked already. But i'm looking for something local big Italian momma cooking simple super food.

I'll be going to this Salone Del gusto tomorrow, hope it will be good since it is the first time for there.

Best regards,

Gilbert

Food blog - www.floss.dk

Hello Gilb3rt,

I know I always bang on about Antiche Sere, Via Ceniscia 9, 011 3854347, but was there again on Thursday evening and the food was just spot on. The menu hasn't changed really in the last 7 years, and the food is utterly simple, just good home cooking. I had (off the top of my head, I didn't take notes so my spelling and grammar might be a bit off...)

Tomino con salsa verde - a little fresh cows milk cheese with a drizzle of a dense dark olive green herb sauce

Salame di pate e maiale - a pork and potato salame, very soft

fried fresh eel and lemon

gnocchi with sausage

stinco di maiale - shin of pork cooked until falling off the bone

pannacotta, zabaglione, and grappa

all with a great baraolo and a little grappa.

I've eaten there a dozen odd times, and always have been happy and left contented.

Do go up to the top of the Fiat building to look at the small

Agnelli painting collection and walk around the rooftop car racetrack. Very relaxing.

regards

Dan

Hadn't heard that, Matthew. I stayed at the Turin Palace, a sweet but slightly faded grand old hotel. To get into the racetrack simply to to the shopping mall on the ?? floor, and buy a ticket to the gallery:

http://www.pinacoteca-agnelli.it

then you can just walk outside afterwards. I went on Friday afternoon, the sun was beaming down (so much for the BBC 5-day online weather forecast and the expected rain) and the view was clear. The racetrack is impressive, imagine driving around the rooftop tarmac at topspeed, flying around those ramped corners.

D