• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Desserts for 600

nicolekaplan

Rice pudding. Can be given an interesting flavor, layered with fruit and other stuff in a glass, served cold . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Crema Catalan - A bruléd crème caramel, flavoured with cinnamon.

Tarta de cerezas - cherry tart, using cherries poached with anise

Tarta de Santiago. an almond tart.

I don't know if you have the budget, but have you considered serving your desert with an Oloroso or Pedro Ximenez sherry - it would give an authentic and unusual touch.

Nice link, swisskaese...

Some nice ideas listed above already, but my first thought was a dense almond cake (flourless or near flourless) flavored with lemon or orange and served with a custard sauce; maybe sherry flavored. Or the cake could be soaked in sherry and served with a plain custard sauce. This could be baked in sheets making it a relatively easy proposition for a large group. Candied lemon or orange peel could be used as a garnish.

Although not traditional, an orange caramel ice cream might be nice with the almond tart suggested above by Fatmat

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Leche Frita or fried custard. It's relatively easy to do, you can do it in advance and it's "pick-uppable" so you could do it in little paper baking cups.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This Flan Souffle al Miel is a fabulous recipe. It's make-ahead (the apples hold up because they're covered by the creme), it makes up into individual servings, it doesn't cost a lot to make, and the flavors are heavenly. Use the best-tasting honey you can find.

Oh, and even though the word flan is in the name, it's definitely not a flan as we think of flan.

Edited by Abra (log)

thanks for all the suggestions.  it is passed desserts to go with a tapas style cocktail party menu.

It's hard to imagine a tapas menu at Eleven Madison Park :wink:

My choice would fall on the "Crema Catalana" and the "Gateau Basque", those are really spanish deserts.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

thanks for all the suggestions.  it is passed desserts to go with a tapas style cocktail party menu.

It's hard to imagine a tapas menu at Eleven Madison Park :wink:

My choice would fall on the "Crema Catalana" and the "Gateau Basque", those are really spanish deserts.

ditto...

2317/5000

While talking with a spanish friend this morning I asked him what spanish dessert he would make for 500 americans after a tapas menu. He gave me some options, suchs as

Huesos de Santo

http://www.geocities.com/cocinafamiliar/po.../huesosanto.htm

Perrunillas

http://www.ciberjob.org/cocina/espana/perrunillas.htm

Yemas de Santa Teresa de Avila

http://www.nutricionyrecetas.com/recetas/galletas/6621.htm

I took a look on Ferran Adriá's last El Bulli 2003-2004 books...but no "typical spanish" deserts there...as expected :raz:

He had there what seemed to be an awesome "rice with azafran"...although the azafran is a typical spanish product, the final result its not much of a spanish desert and also not easy to serve at a cocktail party.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight