• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak Frite

wizpers

I am curious about your top picks!? :blink:

Can't do picks since steak-frites isn't something I order often. That said, I do enjoy Leméac's hanger steak and fries. Quality meat, always cooked to the specified degree of doneness, a coin of herb butter, a huge pile of thin, crisp fries and mayo maison for dipping. What's more, it's a fixture on the after-10 p.m. menu, so you can get it and your choice of first course (tubetti with snails, portobello mushrooms and confit tomatoes in a puddle of basil foam, for example) for $20. Good wine list and a short but interesting selection of wines by the glass, too.

at my work we use Alberta AAA Angus beef, we air dry it for 3-5 days then cut the portions we need on a daily basis.

Um, where might that be, sim?

Nice little jab but no cigar. The steak I had at ESt-J was terrible and their wine list features what four bottles?

Also, I certainly wouldn't call the wine list at Moishes poor. And your comment about the steak being as good as the Keg leads me to ask when you last ate there.

On a good night the venison onglet at Pied de Cochon can be worthwhile.

The onglet listed on the menu was very good the last time I had it. There is also a larger version which is occasionally available (server advises you if it is), which they are less adept at preparing.

Lemeac's gets my $20.

I went to Entrecote St.Jean and I regret ever recommending this place to anyone.It has been 4 years,I was a regular,was a place before a Sunday movie,but it obvious they cut the product quality.

I swear it 100% cow,as in dairy cow.I have never in my life tasted a piece of meat that was so tough,tasteless and had the worst texture.Before I received my plate, I was wondering why everyone was sawing away at their steak,but after a few minutes I was hacking away.

Yeah its not fine dinning,I know,but at one point it was a good place to go.It is certainlly scratched off of my list!

I have to agree with most of you about Entecote St-Jean, it's really bad.

I am not sure about Pied de Cochon, since my last visit in Ocotober I promised myself to never return at this restaurant forever. The service is total disaster and it's dirty as hell.

Vinfidel, I prefer the steaks at Moishes over Keg by far. The wines are expensive but the list is not that bad.

The steak frites at L'Express when really late is ok.

Yes, but I found their fries too thin - dry and overcooked. Actually, mine were rather lukewarm - which leads be to believe I got the bottom of barrel (or fry bin, as it were).

Otherwise I quite like that place.

Edit: I'm referring to Meatmarket - not l'Express

Edited by grill-it (log)

at my work we use Alberta AAA Angus beef, we air dry it for 3-5 days then cut the portions we need on a daily basis.

Um, where might that be, sim?

I work at the Brookstreet Hotel in Ottawa. and the steak frite is on the lunch menu. pretty good meat...

...snow is pretty