• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Peter the eater

Food Movies: The Topic

I watched it the other night.  I liked it but did expect more from the back ground story.  Worth watching whilst I finished my bottle of wine.;)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Anyone watched Burnt yet?  I can't comment completely because I've tried twice to watch it and have missed the first half both times.  I found the parts about the Michelin Star people and how you can tell they are there interesting (if that stuff is all true).

I saw it in the theater. IMO, it needed a fuller story or more side plots or something. Kind of simplistic in some ways.

• Like 3

I can't remember who said that eating food prepared by another is an act of submission.

Cook Off! -Made in 2007 but not released until November 2017. I think they only released it to cash in on Melissa McCarthy's rise to fame, particularly her regular appearances on SNL. This film is about the contestants in a competition where they are tasked to use a dairy replacement product. It's mostly about personalities, the food products are just props made of mixing various commercial convenience together. I found it simplistic, silly, and a waste of time.

• Like 1

^^ I don't see Phantom Thread as a food movie at all. Yes, food plays a role. So does fashion, which has an even bigger role, yet I wouldn't call it a fashion movie. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 4:03 AM, liuzhou said:

I offer this without comment as I haven't seen the movie, but will be looking out for it.

Thanks for the link to that article!  I also enjoyed reading this one that was linked to:  How Phantom Thread Made Toast Irritating

I'm planning to see Phantom Thread this week and usually avoid reading commentary until after I've seen the film but I'm glad I read both of these articles first.

Yesterday home doing paperwork with the TV on in the background - rediscovered Cooking with Stella a Canadian film that I had enjoyed watching in the past.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:49 PM, Lisa Shock said:

I found it simplistic, silly, and a waste of time.

Speaking of a  waste of time, Bakery in Brooklyn on Hulu.  Most of the food stuff made no sense and/or was cringe-worthy (technique-wise) to watch.  Two thumbs down.