• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Movies: The Topic

Peter the eater

• 1 month later...

New Movie  documentary about the Bocuse D'Or competition. 

It was refreshing to watch a new food film but I thought it was kinda boring - though the video quality was very good. 

The food scenes were interesting but there wasn't enough of it and the movie doc focused more on the logistics of getting to the competition through the headaches of international travel - e.g., issues with customs, bad food, cold showers etc. 

• 5 weeks later...

Bottle Shock is based on California wine recognized as great for the first time https://www.stagsleapwinecellars.com/our-story/history/paris-tastingst time. It is a goofy movie based on Stag Leap's accolade. I watched it again yesterday.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_Shock

Edited by heidih (log)

21 hours ago, heidih said:

Bottle Shock is based on California wine recognized as great for the first time https://www.stagsleapwinecellars.com/our-story/history/paris-tastingst time. It is a goofy movie based on Stag Leap's accolade. I watched it again yesterday.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_Shock

Looks like it'd be worth watching just for the soundtrack.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 7 months later...

Just watched Ottolenghi and the Cakes of Versailles, a documentary about Ottolenghi's 2018 commission from the Metropolitan Museum of Art to put on a culinary gala in conjunction with their Versailles exhibit.

Ottolenghi recruits Dominique Ansel, Ghaya Oliveira, executive pastry chef at Daniel in NY, fancy UK jelly makers Bompas and Parr, Ukrainian architect/baker Dinara Kasko and Janice Wong, a pastry chef/chocolatier/creator of edible art from Singapore as the artists who will use their own techniques to reimagine the fabulous pastries of pre-revolution era Versailles.  

I would have loved a whole hour on each artist to better see what they were doing but it's still excellent eye candy!  

Here's a trailer.  I watched the film on Hulu.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add links (log)
  • Like 2

My cousin was a chef at the Met (private dining) when this was going on, I think he said he appeared briefly in the background of one of the shots, I need to check it out.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...

I posted Haute Cuisine in another topic but it belongs here. Based on true story of personal chef for Mitterrand - French w/ sub titles 

• 2 months later...

"On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, which categorizes reviews only as positive or negative, 97% of 127 reviews are positive, with an average rating of 8.2/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "Like the animal itself, Pig defies the hogwash of expectations with a beautiful odyssey of loss and love anchored by Nicolas Cage's affectingly raw performance." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 84 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 year later...

Ex-member and food writer, Simon Majumdar has a podcast on this very subject, here. I haven't finished listening yet (it's 45 minutes long) but his regular podcasts are always well-researched, informative and interesting.

311197431_537126465085781_5770976988154769284_n.thumb.jpg.5d632cbd855f8a7aea8418d595c9b186.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Ex-member and food writer, Simon Majumdar has a podcast on this very subject, here. I haven't finished listening yet (it's 45 minutes long) but his regular podcasts are always well-researched, informative and interesting.

Thanks for sharing.  The link didn't work for me but I was able to find it after a bit of looking.  It seems to be available at most podcast places and this is Episode 1 from Season 7, titled, "Limes, Carambola, Action!: The History of Food in Cinema." from Nov 2021.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in "The Menu", a new film which is billed as "black comedy horror". The horrors of rich-people food.  🙂

In interviews with the people who dreamed up the food in the film, the consensus was that the tropes of modern fine dining are so extreme that there’s little need to exaggerate them.

“The more serious you are about something that seems silly, the funnier the work gets,” said the film’s co-writer, Will Tracy, who knows something about parody, having written for “The Onion” for many years with his creative partner Seth Reiss.

[ ... ]

The possibility of controlling every detail of a meal feeds the genius, the worship and the madness of the chef, Mr. Gelb said. “That’s both the comedy — and the horror — of the film.”

Also, review here along with review of "Fresh" which really sounds like a horror film! 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 3:38 PM, FauxPas said:

I'm interested in "The Menu", a new film which is billed as "black comedy horror". The horrors of rich-people food.  🙂

Also, review here along with review of "Fresh" which really sounds like a horror film! 

I just watched this.  It's outstanding.  Best movie I've seen in a long time. 

It's funny, smart and very dark.  I laughed out loud several times.

Edited to say it's very VERY dark.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Shelby said:

I just watched this.  It's outstanding.  Best movie I've seen in a long time. 

It's funny, smart and very dark.  I laughed out loud several times.

Edited to say it's very VERY dark.  

Ralph Fiennes was hilarious. I loved the bread course!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

New food movie with an original theme. The set design and the scenes are very high quality and beautiful to look at. 

It's about that scary type-A personality of guys like Marco White and the abuse that goes on in the kitchen to be number 1 and stuff. 

It's listed as a horror-thriller movie. Very much worth watching. 

• 9 months later...

Has anyone seen The Taste of Things? It hasn't made it to Grand Rapids yet.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In The Guardian: "Taste the screen: the enduring appeal of food movies"

Movies about food – its physical properties, its history, its philosophy – provide comfort much in the same way as food itself, its rich tactility reaching audiences on a visceral level impressive for light on a screen.