• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Movies: The Topic

Peter the eater

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Anyone watched Burnt yet?  I can't comment completely because I've tried twice to watch it and have missed the first half both times.  I found the parts about the Michelin Star people and how you can tell they are there interesting (if that stuff is all true).

I saw it in the theater. IMO, it needed a fuller story or more side plots or something. Kind of simplistic in some ways.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Cook Off! -Made in 2007 but not released until November 2017. I think they only released it to cash in on Melissa McCarthy's rise to fame, particularly her regular appearances on SNL. This film is about the contestants in a competition where they are tasked to use a dairy replacement product. It's mostly about personalities, the food products are just props made of mixing various commercial convenience together. I found it simplistic, silly, and a waste of time.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 4:03 AM, liuzhou said:

I offer this without comment as I haven't seen the movie, but will be looking out for it.

Thanks for the link to that article!  I also enjoyed reading this one that was linked to:  How Phantom Thread Made Toast Irritating

I'm planning to see Phantom Thread this week and usually avoid reading commentary until after I've seen the film but I'm glad I read both of these articles first.

Yesterday home doing paperwork with the TV on in the background - rediscovered Cooking with Stella a Canadian film that I had enjoyed watching in the past.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:49 PM, Lisa Shock said:

I found it simplistic, silly, and a waste of time.

Speaking of a  waste of time, Bakery in Brooklyn on Hulu.  Most of the food stuff made no sense and/or was cringe-worthy (technique-wise) to watch.  Two thumbs down.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone seen Bao?  It's an animated short film (~ 10 min) from Pixar.  It's apparently showing ahead of Incredibles 2, not a film on my must-see list. 

It's set in Toronto's Chinatown and features an empty-nest mother who gets another chance at motherhood when one of her homemade dumplings comes to life. 

I listened to an interview with the director on Evan Kleiman's Good Food podcast yesterday where she described how she had her mom come into the studio to make dumplings so the crew would know how to animate the process.  

She also describes some of the process in this LA Times article: How 'Bao' director Domee Shi stayed true to her 'weird' idea and created a specifically Asian story and there's a photo of the director and her mother making dumplings in this NYT article: The Creator of ‘Bao’ on That Twist: ‘Part of Me Wanted to Shock Audiences’

Linking to this YouTube clip because it shows the the bao-making process, though it's also choppy and full of spoilers, so beware:

In this interview from the Toronto Sun, the director talks about some of the Toronto-specific images used to set the scene:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

OK, here's an unexpected recommendation: Amaama to Inazuma. A warm and funny Japanese anime (12x20min) about high school teacher bonding and healing with his kid daughter after loss of their wife/mother through cooking her favourite food, despite never having cooked proper food... There are a number of other anime centered around food which I can dig out if anyone's interested, but this one really deserves to be nominated alongside best food movies like "Babette's feast".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

• 2 months later...

Back in this post, I mentioned the Pixar short, "Bao," that was released along with Incredibles 2

Pixar has released the full 7 minute short on YouTube for free for a limited time.

Do take a look if you have a moment.  The animation of the food is amazing!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Back in this post, I mentioned the Pixar short, "Bao," that was released along with Incredibles 2

Pixar has released the full 7 minute short on YouTube for free for a limited time.

Thank you so much for this. I've shared it with Chinese friends who are delighted. 

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Not a movie but definitely food-orientated is Midnight Diner on Netflix. I really love it. I was reading a lot of rather violent manga when I first came across it, and I found it a very soothing contrast. Short stories set in a little after-hours diner. Gentle.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2018 at 9:11 AM, blue_dolphin said:

(I edited out the YouTube link)

Bao has been nominated for the Best Animated Short Film award by the Academy. 

• Like 2

Cheers,

Anne

On 12/20/2018 at 4:21 PM, Kerala said:

Not a movie but definitely food-orientated is Midnight Diner on Netflix. I really love it. I was reading a lot of rather violent manga when I first came across it, and I found it a very soothing contrast. Short stories set in a little after-hours diner. Gentle.

Absolutely this. Gentle. If you need a 'detox' from troubles, this is definitely a good antidote.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I watched this film - The Last Recipe - because I heard it was so deep that it made even hardened macho kitchen guys cry at the end. 

I thought it was really good and still thinking about it now. 

It's about generations of family life and how creating new cuisines and recipes bridged together different cultures at war during WWII

The most endearing and beautiful things in it was probably the day to day things of  cooking in a kitchen with very close co-workers/family and working on a project to create something new and exciting 

ummm..it was like the personalities in the movie had this goal (of recipe creation) that they all believed in and which brought them close together 

worth a watch - I guarantee it's primo 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 4:50 AM, eugenep said:

I watched this film - The Last Recipe - because I heard it was so deep that it made even hardened macho kitchen guys cry at the end. 

I thought it was really good and still thinking about it now. 

It's about generations of family life and how creating new cuisines and recipes bridged together different cultures at war during WWII

The most endearing and beautiful things in it was probably the day to day things of  cooking in a kitchen with very close co-workers/family and working on a project to create something new and exciting 

ummm..it was like the personalities in the movie had this goal (of recipe creation) that they all believed in and which brought them close together 

worth a watch - I guarantee it's primo 

I finally managed to track this down and watched it tonight. What a wonderful movie! Rammed with food and with a twisting and turning plot. Also a real tear-jerker in places.

Thank you for the heads up!.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...