• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Movies: The Topic

Peter the eater

So you are looking for a food movie to slobber over during the holidays?

There's not much new to DVD that I'm aware of -- "No Reservations" is alright. Aaron Eckhart was even better in "The Dark Knight" but there's not much food there. You may need to go to the classics, many of which have been mentioned.

The best film of 2008 (according to me) has an important food theme, but it's not what you're looking for . . . so I think I'll post it over here.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

The overall best movie of 2008, according to me, has an important food theme. It's a dystopic and subtly depressing comment on Western food and culture, more like "Supersize Me" than the enticing movies listed here. This year I'm going with "WALL*E" from PIXAR, which is a big step for me because "Cars" is just about the worst I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Moe Sizlack

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one:

Woman On Top, with Penelope Cruz

Speaking of Penelope Cruz, how about Volver? Cruz, certainly a yummy little number all by herself, enlists the help of the entire neighborhood in order to take over a defunct restaurant.

Terrific movie, I thought.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"No Reservations" is alright. here.

Saw it on a plane once. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with sharpened cutlery than repeat the experience.

Vote one for Meaning of Life.

I don't care to see "No Reservations" again either, but instead of self-mutilation, I recommend watching the original version "Bella Martha (2001)".

Mr. Creosote is a classic.

Moe Sizlack

I mentioned Frida in one of the two other "Food Movie" threads, Movies & Food, but the Christmas connection in this one got me to thinking.

This year, I'm going to give a friend a copy of the movie, along with the cookbook Frida's Fiestas: Recipes & Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo

So after my friend sees all that sumptuous food in the movie, she can make some sumptuous food of her own!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 months later...

Here are two fine films that feature honey as subject and metaphor: Ulee's Gold (1997) and more recently The Secret Life of Bees (2008). That last one has Joy Luck Club power to make surly men cry.

Moe Sizlack

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I volunteered again for the True/False Film Festival in Columbia, MO. It's a fest dedicated to documentaries (I mentioned it upthread, too). This year, the film I really looked forward to was Pressure Cooker. It's the story of three Philadelphia high school seniors who take part in a culinary arts program and competition for scholarships, aided along the way by their fierce teacher Wilma Stephenson. That link takes you to TakePart.com which has a lot more info on the film and C-CAP, the culinary arts program that provides scholarships to high schoolers. It's a great movie. See it if you get a chance!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I saw this movie at Slow Food Nation this past Labor Day weekend. It was very good. The teacher is quite a tough woman, and I don't know how I would do with her as my teacher, but she does an amazing job with her students. The culinary art program competition they do is really interesting, I had no idea that something like that existed.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 4 months later...

Dinner with Friends (Dennis Quaid & Andie MacDowell) who play food writers. Some terrific food and cooking scenes. I can never really decide if I thought this movie was good. I've seen it several times and feel differently about it with each viewing.

Rover

ratatouille is an awesome film. gets my vote.

waiting is goodish though the follow is the typical follow up and has crushed my opinion of the first one.

sideways is a wine film but got to love it, its quality stuff.

i cant believe no ones mentioned spanglish food done by Thomas Keller (same with ratatouille) really good film. well i enjoyed it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
ratatouille is an awesome film. gets my vote.

waiting is goodish though the follow is the typical follow up and has crushed my opinion of the first one.

sideways is a wine film but got to love it, its quality stuff.

i cant believe no ones mentioned spanglish food done by Thomas Keller (same with ratatouille) really good film. well i enjoyed it anyway.

I love Sideways. "Are you chewing gum" is a classic line which I try to use as often as possible.

Haven't seen Spanglish but I think I should.

Evidently, Keller's cameo in Ratatouille is done by Guy Savoy in the French language release, and by Ferran Adrià in the Spanish one.

Moe Sizlack

• 2 months later...

I would like to suggest the French film with the English title "The Secret of the Grain" by the director Abdelatif Kechiche. Its French title is "La graine et le mulet." Its about, food, family, love, betrayal and great belly dancing, what else do you need?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.