• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diccionario Enciclopedico de Gastronomia mexicana

Caarina

I am holding in my hand the new version! Thanks to a very good friend who dragged it back from Mexico for me (it is HEAVY) I now have it.

The cover isn't as bad as I had been led to believe. It's a little too simple but it's fine and serious. The inside looks great and the images look more like they're from the same source instead of all over the map.

I immediately went to the bean section and it's a little disappointing as I found one mistake right off the bat and they sometimes use the Latin names for the beans and sometimes not. There are only a few so each bean listed deserves recognition.

I don't see the extra 200 pages that are in it but I don't have my old copy here for comparison. It looks and feels about the same size, but the graphics are tighter and it's the same mix of small entries and longer ones.

It's going to be hours of fun.

The big question is whether to replace your old version or not. And do you wait for the English version. I;m keeping them all.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Yes, Chef Muñoz has been working on a English translation and it's a daunting task. I've heard he's working with the University of Texas Press and cookbook author Marilyn Tausend, who has a number of beautiful cookbooks on Mexican cuisine to her name.

Primate Asilvestrado

Solano County, California

Is anyone aware of a location in the US where I might buy it?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 6 months later...

Ta da!

Looks like Amazon is getting it this Oct.

After living with it for awhile, I do have to say I'm keeping my old one as well. But this one is great (despite kind of cheap printing) and the price is nice!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Ta da!

After living with it for awhile, I do have to say I'm keeping my old one as well. But this one is great (despite kind of cheap printing) and the price is nice!

Want to thank you for this "heads up."

I did indeed go to Amazon and get on the list to receive one when it becomes available.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Ta da!

So, is this an English or Spanish version? Amazon says English, but the title is obviously Spanish. Have pre-ordered, but hoping for English...

• 2 weeks later...