• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day

eatvancouver

'Cause I'm under threat of the May deadline of "use it or you lose it" Vancouver Club membership minimum annual food-consumption charge . . .

Sorry, I mean, 'cause their Valentine's Day offering sounds soooo romantic . . .

Hubby and I will be in the Georgian Room for an 'intimate dinner' a la deux, a beautiful prix fixe menu courtesy of one of the best kitchens in the city, eschewing the other option of:

Dining in the Grand Ballroom with a set menu followed by dancing to the hot fave's of the 1940's, 1950's and 1955's ('cause if the 60's were involved they'd have to take out special dance insurance for everyone whose birthday was after 1955 :raz: )

And the Georgian Room was where we were married three years ago, so, awwwww,

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

We doing something a little unconventional (for us, at least) this year. Lunch at Nu. Mid-week, long romantic dinners are a thing of the past for us. So it'll have to be a mid-week, quick romantic lunch, which suits me just fine. We've had our share of those early-romance, Valentine's Dinners, where you're too in-love/lust to even taste the food. Now, it's ALL about the food!

Mmmm, gruyere onion soup.....

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Valentine's Day? The cursed holiday? The one where my bride or I are sick, injured or have to dash out of town to nurse an ill family member? Where if the above does not occur the maitre'd loses our reservation, does not approve of our attire or can't turn our table? I think not.

This year it is a duckling, roasted with a fresh citrus reduction, a small spinnich salad with a curry-vinegrette dressing and a chocolate fondue with all the trimmings. Heaven forfend--- a bottle of Spumante (the bride's favorite) and fresh baked popovers and life will be good. Now if we can keep from being too stuffed...

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

^ Making dinner hopefully. And if that doesn't pan out we'll hope to get seats at La Ragalade :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

My wife and I don't normally celebrate valentines day, as I usually work. But this year, I am leaving it in my very capable sous chef's hands and we are going to the Pear Tree. We like to dine there for our anniversary, but as my wife is in a family way, with my little apprentice due just before our anniversary, we decided to brave the masses of St. Hallmarks... I mean St. Valentines day. Every experience at the Pear Tree has been top notch in the past and I'm sure this one will be just as good. I'm looking forward to seeing the room post reno.

It will be interesting to see this day from the other side!

My wife and I don't normally celebrate valentines day, as I usually work.  But this year, I am leaving it in my very capable sous chef's hands and we are going to the Pear Tree.  We like to dine there for our anniversary, but as my wife is in a family way, with my little apprentice due just before our anniversary,  we decided to brave the masses of St. Hallmarks...  I mean St. Valentines day.  Every experience at the Pear Tree has been top notch in the past and I'm sure this one will be just as good.  I'm looking forward to seeing the room post reno.

Wow, congratulations in advance, Jeff! :biggrin:

The room, post reno, is gorgeous. Understated simplicity that improves upon but doesn't compromise the spirit of their original space. And BOH is still as strong as ever. Had a meal there two weeks ago and was more than impressed.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My wife and I don't normally celebrate valentines day, as I usually work.  But this year, I am leaving it in my very capable sous chef's hands and we are going to the Pear Tree.  We like to dine there for our anniversary, but as my wife is in a family way, with my little apprentice due just before our anniversary,  we decided to brave the masses of St. Hallmarks...  I mean St. Valentines day.  Every experience at the Pear Tree has been top notch in the past and I'm sure this one will be just as good.  I'm looking forward to seeing the room post reno.

Congrats man . i could go on but i won`t . enjoy one hell of an experience

oh and the pear tree is good too :]

tt

Helen and I have for the last four years cooked at home and enjoyed some nice bottles of wine. This year we are heading off to Cassis Bistro. We 'll most likely pop open a bottle of Champagne when we get home :rolleyes: . If the weather stays like this it will be a pleasure to eat some regional French cuisine in prepartion for our trip to Europe later this year.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I'm going to work. :sad:

An oyster shucker getting Valentine's Day off? Just doesn't happen.

Well, I guess there is a downside to selling aphrodisiacs for a living! :laugh:

It is my night from hell.

But I hope that everyone else has a great and romantic dinner that night.

All the best to the rest of you for this evening!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I'm seeing red

The Rosemeade is doing a special rouge theme for V-day. This is where we'll be going. Don't know if there are still seats left, but worth checking for you and yours.

__

Lavit Brut Rosado, Spain

__

Foie Gras & Chicken Liver Terrine, pomegranate, blood orange, hazelnuts & lambs lettuce

Sauternes chateau d armajan des ormes, France

__

Rare Ahi Tuna, roasted beet carpaccio,quail’s egg, warm olives, shaved fennel, truffle sour cream

Faiveley pinot noir 2002, France

__

Goat cheese, basil & roasted garlic "spring roll", pepperonata

Nichol vineyards maxine’s dry rose, Okanagan

__

Prawn & scallop sauté, tomato risotto & soybeans, bulls blood greens

Alderlea pinot gris 2004, Vancouver Island

or

Horseradish crusted venison, black pepper gnocchi, shiraz-shallot puree

Vasse Felix- adams road shiraz 2003, Australia

__

Duo of chocolate, Cassis sorbet

Elephant Island cassis, Okanagan

I called CinCin today for reservations, and the earliest time they had available was 10:45. The person I spoke to on the phone was nice enough to book two seats at the bar for my Valentine and I since we are only going their for dessert. Any recommendations on what to try?

For the first time in 7 years or so I get a valentines day/night off...of course my "love" for the holiday has been so tainted due to all the patrons of years gone by that are in far more productive relationships than i, makes me really just want to stay in and order pizza; really, really, cheap pizza :wacko: But I'm in a new relationship so i think it's off to the Parkside... :wink:

Mike Mitchell | Restaurant Manager | CinCin

Please don't take this personally but I always get a laugh this time of year when people call the day before valentines and ask for a table for 2 at 7:30 :laugh: .

Even though Joe's is definately not what I would call a romantic restaurant, we were pretty much sold out 2 weeks ago. For next year, I would suggest calling before the calender hits February!!

Derek

The Rosemeade is doing a special rouge theme for V-day...

Foie Gras & Chicken Liver Terrine, pomegranate, blood orange, hazelnuts & lambs lettuce...

PS - this first course was an intense flavor treat, creatively garnished with an edible fork-shaped touille cookie!

rsmead.jpg

Memo :wub:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

As my husband and I don't usually celebrate Valentine's Day (it's Valentine's all year long!), I was planning to go out and have drinks with some of my girlfriends. When both of them cancelled on me at 5PM, I decided to head out to the gym.

On the way, I walked past Amarcord in Yaletown, which is one of our regular haunts. Very sheepishly, I must admit, I decided to stop and ask host Anthony if there were any last minute late openings for two. I did tell him that I completely understood that it was Valentine's and they would likely not have a table, and that I felt a little silly asking him so last minute, but he very graciously booked us at 8:30. Manlio, as usual, had set aside a table for a regular walk-in, despite a very busy night for them.

The meal was stellar. Husband had the lobster bisque starter and his usual beef, while I splurged and went for the lobster over pasta with savory tomato/white wine sauce, their regular special. And a lovely bottle of Sicilian red that I enjoyed so much I hate to admit I've forgotten its name this morning...

While I would have completely understood if they had not been able to accommodate us (who asks at 5:45 for a table on Valentine's?!?! -- go ahead and laugh winegeek, I can't blame ya!), it made it even more special that they did so, and so sweetly.

While not the flashiest place in town, Manlio's gracious attitude and their reliable, solid dishes are the main reasons Amarcord remains one of our favorites.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I had the most amazing service (and food!) and CinCin's last night. Our sommelier/server, Jaime, was so knowledgable and friendly...he spent so much time with us last night talking about the food we were having (just appetizers and dessert, as we came in at 10pm having had dinner already). He also told us about a number of dishes on the regular menu that I'm excited about trying. Honestly, I can't remember a time when I had such great service. Props to CinCin's for showing us a wonderful time on the busiest night of the year!!

I had the most amazing service (and food!) and CinCin's last night. Our sommelier/server, Jaime, was so knowledgable and friendly...he spent so much time with us last night talking about the food we were having (just appetizers and dessert, as we came in at 10pm having had dinner already). He also told us about a number of dishes on the regular menu that I'm excited about trying. Honestly, I can't remember a time when I had such great service. Props to CinCin's for showing us a wonderful time on the busiest night of the year!!

Hey, great to hear CinCin is still going strong even though it doesn't get much mention on the boards these days.

Crazy coincidence, did you happen to run into D90 last night? I seem to recall he had a last minute / late reso there too.

Valentine's Day?  The cursed holiday?  The one where my bride or I are sick, injured or have to dash out of town to nurse an ill family member?  Where if the above does not occur the maitre'd loses our reservation, does not approve of our attire or can't turn our table?  I think not.

This year it is a duckling, roasted with a fresh citrus reduction, a small spinnich salad with a curry-vinegrette dressing and a chocolate fondue with all the trimmings.  Heaven forfend--- a bottle of Spumante (the bride's favorite) and fresh baked popovers and life will be good.  Now if we can keep from being too stuffed...

So- My beautiful bride ended up with a dental abcess... and couldn't eat, couldn't kiss, went to bed before me (and I go to bed at 8:30)...

I do love St Valentine's Day-- the cursed holiday -- not!

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net