• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

You yankees were right when you said it takes a lot to keep the fire up to temperature when the weather's cold. The grill temperature stalled at 155, with the vents wide open. In the summer, this much charcoal (about 2/3rds of a large chimney) would tend to go high. I've started a second chimney.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The temp seems to be back under control. It dropped below 250 so I opened the bottoms vents a tiny bit.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You yankees were right when you said it takes a lot to keep the fire up to temperature when the weather's cold. The grill temperature stalled at 155, with the vents wide open. In the summer, this much charcoal (about 2/3rds of a large chimney) would tend to go high. I've started a second chimney.

Though I'm not a Yankee - I'm telling you. The 12 lb. brisket I started at -20 Celsius cooked for 12 hours in the smoker, 3 in the oven. I added coal 3 times during the day, just wouldn't get hot enough. Tasted good though.

edited to add that it tasted good the next day, when we ate it, because when it was finally out of the oven at 11:30 pm I couldn't eat it. :biggrin:

Edited by Pam R (log)

The temp seems to be back under control.  It dropped below 250 so I opened the bottoms vents a tiny bit.

The vents are the way to moderate your temp, for a long Minion method smoke I am usually at 25% to 50% open. The wind can make a big change as well, cold is no enemy of the WSM but wind is. Also important to keep the top vent open throughout the smoke. Mine is doing fine. I have some pics to post but don't know if I can post them here or to another thread. It is your blog. I'm just smoking in your honor

Edited by lancastermike (log)

And yet as cold as it is here, I'm having the opposite problem. Whenever I open the bottom vents at all, the temp starts to climb. I've closed them again.

Marlene

The temp seems to be back under control.  It dropped below 250 so I opened the bottoms vents a tiny bit.

The vents are the way to moderate your temp, for along Minion method smoke I am usually at 25% to 50% open. The wind can make a big change as well, cold is no enemy of the WSM but wind is. Also important to keep the top vent open throughout the smoke. Mine is doing fine. I have somepics to post but don't know if I can post them here or to another thread. It is your blog. I'm just smoking in your honor

We'd love to see your pics here Mike! We used the minion method to start, and I've currently got the vents all the way closed. Top vent open

Marlene

And yet as cold as it is here, I'm having the opposite problem.  Whenever I open the bottom vents at all, the temp starts to climb.  I've closed them again.

Opening the vents lets air in to the coals which will bring the temp up. Butt is a wonderful thing to smoke as it is very tolerate of temp changes. Butt is tough to mess up. If your temp is high either close them all, or as I often do, close two and keep one open a bit. Never fear, your smoke seems to be going fine. As Susan says it really just is an excuse to have a beer.

I wonder when I should take the venison off.  Any ideas?

Have you got a thermometer in it?

I've dumped a second load of charcoal into the sidebox and crossed my fingers.

No thermometer in it. I'd better check the temp on it. Any ideas how high I should take the venison?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The forecast was for 4 to 6 inches of snow, I awoke to more than a foot. I had to shovel of the spot for the smoker

gallery_12506_1417_280884.jpg

Thats my remote thermometer trasmitter sitting on the ground with my Taylor in the vent hole. The gas grill stays out, the WSM I keep in the garage

gallery_12506_1417_119804.jpg

Last pic is the butt itself about an hour in. This came from Costco they have two boneless pieces in cyrovac. I prefer bone in, but the price was right and my local meat supplier did not have any and I forgot to order in advance.

gallery_12506_1417_161734.jpg

Lots of nice smoke as this was early on. This baby went on cold and naked. It sat outside while i got it fired, no rub. It is hard to see but there are a bunch of hot Italian sausage links on the bottom grate. We love them smoked. The smoke and the heat go together wonderfully

Edited by lancastermike (log)

No thermometer in it.  I'd better check the temp on it.  Any ideas how high I should take the venison?

Well, I'd wait for the stall-and-temp rise. Since it's going to be done before the butt, the venison is the thing to watch, I think.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I can't answer your venison question I'm afraid! Temp is well stabilized now with the bottom vents fully closed. There is very little wind here today. Internal temp has now hit 170. I should be heading for the stall soon.

Let's move along for the moment to the serving of said butt. If everyone is right, this should be done around 4:30. So I pull it, and let it rest? Tented? for how long? I assume this should be served warm so will it need to be reheated whenever we are ready to eat?

Marlene

Let's move along for the moment to the serving of said butt.  If everyone is right, this should be done around 4:30.  So I pull it, and let it rest?  Tented?  for how long?  I assume this should be served warm so will it need to be reheated whenever we are ready to eat?

Let it rest, and then pull it. Wrap it in foil right off the grill, and then have another Caesar.

Are you serving it with or without sauce? Tomato based or vinegar?

Another thing about your temperatures marlene ... I noticed you're using lump charcoal which tends to run a bit hotter than briquettes (my experience). Something to keep in mind. Not much you can do about it ... just be aware.

A.

Let's move along for the moment to the serving of said butt.  If everyone is right, this should be done around 4:30.  So I pull it, and let it rest?  Tented?  for how long?  I assume this should be served warm so will it need to be reheated whenever we are ready to eat?

Let it rest, and then pull it. Wrap it in foil right off the grill, and then have another Caesar.

Are you serving it with or without sauce? Tomato based or vinegar?

Another thing about your temperatures marlene ... I noticed you're using lump charcoal which tends to run a bit hotter than briquettes (my experience). Something to keep in mind. Not much you can do about it ... just be aware.

A.

Yes, I noticed that too. I suggested to Don that he just get the Kingsford next time! Along with some wood chunks.

The sauce is vinegar based I believe.

Edited to add, I must get in tune with the smoking vernacular. When I said pull it, I meant pull it off the grill. :biggrin:

Marlene

Let's move along for the moment to the serving of said butt. If everyone is right, this should be done around 4:30. So I pull it, and let it rest? Tented? for how long? I assume this should be served warm so will it need to be reheated whenever we are ready to eat?

I always wrap mine in heavy duty foil and let it rest, it will hold the temperture for long while. I like to use my fingers to do the pulling. Others use two forks. As for re heating many on the Virtual Weber site use one of those vacuam seal things. The than just drop the bags in hot water. I don't have one so I like to re heat with a little splash of cider vinegar in a saucepan

As for re heating many on the Virtual Weber site use one of those vacuam seal things. The than just drop the bags in hot water.  I don't have one so I like to re heat with a little splash of cider vinegar in a saucepan

Lately, I've been using a steamer to reheat pulled butt. The microwave makes the meat all chewey, whereas the steamer keeps things nice & moist ... almost as good as freshly pulled! Almost ...

A.

I reheat it in a covered pan in the oven, low, moistened with a bit of smoked pork stock.

We should probably also talk about what to do with leftover butt. Not only can you reheat it and eat it as you will today, but it makes an excellent filling for enchiladas, tacos, omelettes. I've also taken smoked meat (butt or brisket) and added it to some tomato sauce to be tossed with pasta. It's good room temp on salads. In coleslaw. Or just eaten right out of the fridge, standing there with the door open! Oh, and if you are making a meal out of dressed up baked potatoes, add some butt.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I reheat it in a covered pan in the oven, low, moistened with a bit of smoked pork stock.

This is what I do, using whatever stock I've got around. I'm thinking Arne's steaming idea is worth trying, too.

. . . just eaten right out of the fridge, standing there with the door open! 

Preferably in pajamas or skivvies.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm telling you, having to put on half your wardrobe to go outside and check on things gets old pretty quick. After the first few times of donning boots, coat and gloves I gave up and am now dashing outside in my short sleeve polo shirt and sweat pants.

I ain't no wuss.

Marlene

Ok, I'm into the stall, it looks like. It's been 171 for about 25 minutes. Yay! My first stall! :biggrin:

Marlene