• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Thanks Mike. I'm likely to ask several stupid questions throughout the process. Will I need to add water to the pan during the day?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I got a late start, too. Only coffee and the Sunday paper to digest so far.

It's kind of cool that three of us are using three different types of smokers. Marlene has her bullet, Susan her trusty Weber, and I'm using an offset smoker:

gallery_6393_2478_31039.jpg

Here's another view, which isn't all that interesting, except that if you look closely (see the white streaks against the grill lid?), you can see that it's snowing!

gallery_6393_2478_6975.jpg

Otherwise, starting the charcoal is starting the charcoal. I've had chips in water for quite a while, though nothing as fancy as Susan's outdoor-aged soak:

gallery_6393_2478_9402.jpg

One thing I do differently is to make a longer-burning wick out of the newspaper by drizzling it with a little oil:

gallery_6393_2478_24966.jpg

This helps it burn longer, which is great when the charcoal is damp or just plain stubborn.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Ok, it's been on for almost two hours.  The internal temp of the butt is reading 103 right now on my thermometer.  I need to go out and check it soon, but there's still smoke coming out, so I assume the chips are still good. Last time we checked, the temp was sitting around 225-230.  This is all good right?

Wonderful Marlene. I have one on my WSM. However I woke up to a foot of new snow this morning so I got alate start. Yours looks lovely. You will no doubt hit the famous butt stall soon. Just wait and watch you cooker temp. 225 is perfect on the grill

Nice work, Marlene!

I don't know about adding water. I wish I could help. We've got a lot of bulletheads watching, though.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Marlene, you do know that you are supposed to drink beer while smoking, don't you? Well, maybe not beer. I think I'm going to have a bloody mary.

Dave, how long will it take to smoke your butt on the offset smoker? Memory tells me that it takes less time on the kettle than it does on the bullet.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm thinking a Bloody Ceasar would work fine right about now. I've got breakfast pics to post, but I want to go check the smoker first, and Ryan's dad will arrive in about 10 minutes to pick him up.

I also need to get going on the sauce which I did not make yesterday as planned. My kitchen is still a mess from last night, and now from breakfast as well!

Marlene

Marlene, you do know that you are supposed to drink beer while smoking, don't you?  Well, maybe not beer.  I think I'm going to have a bloody mary.
Wow. It's really been too long. I think I'll open that bottle of cava I've been saving, and make one of Janet's Old Spice pig pickin' cocktails.
Dave, how long will it take to smoke your butt on the offset smoker?  Memory tells me that it takes less time on the kettle than it does on the bullet.

I'm thinking about six hours. Well, hoping, too, since I started so late. But it's a small hunk (pictures in a few minutes).

Yikes! The sauce!

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I wanna smoke. The foodie kind. Nobody smokes in Amsterdam. There's a lot of smoking going on, but that's not what I'm referring to.

But I figure I could do it, on my balcony, if I had a Weber or Bullet type thingy.

I want smoked meat!!!

This blog really, really makes me want to smoke. The food-kind.

Just checked. It was running a bit high, 275 so I closed the vents a bit. The water seemed to be low so I added some hot water. Will go back in 20 minutes to check on the temp again

Marlene

I have one of those. it's in the butt. I need to get another one, but that will be for the next smoke.

What I want is one of these The thermometer, not the beef, although it doesn't suck either.

Marlene

Things here going well, but I'm having trouble maintaining a temp of 225. It keeps wanting to go down to 200, so for the first time I can remember, I've had to crack the bottom vents open a bit on my leaky Kettle.

Marlene, go back to W-S and trade in your Oxo mandoline for one of these. They're great for sitting inside and drinking while the smoking goes on out in the cold.

Even better is a 2 channel one: gallery_7620_135_7200.jpg

Its a Maverick 2 channel Wireless Smoker thermometer. Once probe of the food, and aother for the smoker temperature

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DIU4...glance&n=286168

Things here going well, but I'm having trouble maintaining a temp of 225.  It keeps wanting to go down to 200, so for the first time I can remember, I've had to crack the bottom vents open a bit on my leaky Kettle.

I'm having the opposite problem. Mine keeps going up

Marlene

Now all I have to do is find it in Canada. Amazon doesn't do Canada. I need a drink.

Marlene

Things here going well, but I'm having trouble maintaining a temp of 225.  It keeps wanting to go down to 200, so for the first time I can remember, I've had to crack the bottom vents open a bit on my leaky Kettle.

Shut the bottom vents.

Shut the bottom vents.

Yeah I did that. btw, I need to give major thanks to Daddy-A who has been walkiing me through this very patiently via AIM. :wub:

Marlene

Hrm.  What's a newspaper grill?  :smile:

Oh, it's definitely odd, just like me! Something useful for the news to do! I love the newspaper grill, it doesn't take up a lot of space in my closet, and it cooks food in minutes. Sometimes when we entertain guests I just bring it out to grill appetizers or desserts, because a newspaper grill is a real converstation piece. Accompanied by ample alcoholic lubrication, or teenage hormones, we have some really fun moments with the grill.

(I hope I got the link right!)

edited by me to add: converSTATION! hahahahah!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I made breakfast for myself.

Bacon

gallery_6080_2537_4395.jpg

Cheese Omlette:

gallery_6080_2537_8814.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_1700.jpg

This is the butt at 4 hours. Internal temp says 160

gallery_6080_2537_9622.jpg

This is what I'm drinking:

gallery_6080_2537_44411.jpg

I have several of these on ice if need be.

Just as a side note, it's probably not a fabulous idea to smoke meat while wearing a white track suit!

Marlene

My neighbor (who kindly showed me where the pilot light is on my heat the other night, thereby getting all cobwebby and sneezy in the process, nice man!) was just outside digging out a path for his truck (rural area, no plowing in our tiny development yet). I went outside to help, bringing him a cup of coffee, and asked him "Do you have to go to work?" Nope, he ran out of cigarettes! :sad: You guys are sure going to have more personal freedom at the end of this journey!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06