• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Thank you all for a most wonderful blog. How very appropriate that the grand finale was all about smoking - the good kind. You showed us wonderful food throughout this blog, but yesterday was absolutely fantastic.

I have to say that I totally understand what you're going through quitting smoking (the bad kind) - I've been on zyban for 2 months (no more) and I read Alan Carr's book and at the moment I still cheat with 2-3-4 drags of my husband's cigarette a couple of times a day. But I'm totally proud of that, after smoking 20-30 cigs a day for over 25 years. I feel that I'm quitting on my own terms and that the addiction is dissipating. I wish we had a thread that would continue your inspiring fight, as the ultimate goal is a healthier life and heightened taste and smell senses - all very much connected to food, isn't it?

You are indeed heroes and again I thank you for letting us into your lives. Good luck!

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

How are you guys feeling about continuing the battle without this virtual support group? Not that we won't still be here for you, but without this specific thread in which to vent and/or confess.

I think Marlene and I will be keeping AIM pretty active! It will be interesting to see how things go without this virtual support network, but I've got plenty of support around the house.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I wish we had a thread that would continue your inspiring fight, as the ultimate goal is a healthier life and heightened taste and smell senses - all very much connected to food, isn't it?

Anyone who wants to start a thread on issues related to food and quitting smoking is more than welcome to do so -- the only caveat is that it won't be localized to just Marlene, Dave and Susan.

I'd like to think that our three bloggers opened a door to a whole new world of possibility. We're all in this together: smokers, quitters and non-smokers alike.

Soba

How are you guys feeling about continuing the battle without this virtual support group? Not that we won't still be here for you, but without this specific thread in which to vent and/or confess.

I'm actually finding it easier without the stress of blogging, as much fun and as good support as it was. And I just made a boatload of Janet's nuts so I'll have something to munch on.

I'm sure that we'll pop up with progress reports in the future as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

This blog shines with generosity, creativity and courage. Thank you for sharing everything; the struggles, successes and the fabulous food. And I learned so much. Best wishes to the bloggers and all the quitters in sustaining your successes.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

My sincere congratulations to all of you. This has been a true inspiration to behold. You guys just amaze me on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

Glad you liked that cocktail Dave. I feel like I somehow helped sedate you through this difficult time. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm logging in briefly on a friend's computer, so I haven't had a chance to read all the posts I missed since last I logged in, but just wanted to chime in before the blog closed to thank Susan, Marlene, and Dave for their bravery not only in confronting their tobacco habits, but in going through all this in a public forum. I can totally appreciate how that ratcheted up the stress by several notches, right when the last thing you needed was yet more stress! I hope the experience was ultimately good and positive for all of you, as well as all the other smokers who decided to join in. All strength and good vibes as you continue on with the process, and know that a whole bunch of eGulleteers--certainly this one down here in San Diego--respects you tremendously for doing this.

What Marlene said. Not blogging and not smoking is easier than blogging and not smoking. It's hard to be public when so vulnerable.

But, keep those PM's coming.

Smell is definitely on the rise, and I'm awaiting Maggie's taste revelation.

They say it is 1 day at a time. More like 10 minutes at a time around here.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

But, keep those PM's coming.

And don't forget: Los Angeles is just a couple of miles away (all right, a couple thousand miles ...). Mind you, it's been working for Maggie.

Thank you, Marlene, Susan, Dave, et al. for disclosing yourselves in this smoking blog. I have greatly benefited from this. Just scream (discreetly, of course) if you need some help.

Again, thank you!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Sorry to have skipped out on you guys during "the last smoke" but family business called. I will have to say that you have inspired me. I have now switched to the lower nicotine version of my brand in preparation. Of course, I ate several more packs than usual over the last few days. But, I am on track to quit. I will spend a couple of weeks preparing myself mentally. And, when I finally commit to quitting it will probably be with all of the drugs that the industry can throw at me. But, one of the most effective drugs will be this blog. I can go back and read your heartfelt and honest experience and let it carry me along. It is now in my list of favorites and any friend or aquaintance that even sniffs at quitting, they are going to get a URL to this.

This blog does not go away. For all you have gone through the last 12 days, keep in mind that it is forever here and you may not ever know how many people you have touched. My sincerest and most grateful thanks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose