• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Now all I have to do is find it in Canada.  Amazon doesn't do Canada.  I need a drink.

After your drink (and after you close your vents), check out Grillmaster's Garden. Shipping to Canada no problem.

Oh!! :biggrin: Thanks Dave!!! I was starting to feel deprived here in Ottawa thinking that Amazon was off-limits..

I just ordered mine!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Guys . . . All you guys with smoked pork butt. I urge you. I implore you to keep some of that pork back to make the Barbeque Posole. No, it is not my recipe but one I interpreted from a conversation in my bad Spanish. It is so damn good, you have to try it. I just finished my last container out of the freezer because we had a cold front come through. Do try it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It's still in the stall, and in fact has dropped a couple of degrees. Now I've got all the vents wide open and it's sitting at 225. I did just add a bit more charcoal

Marlene

The venison seems to have stalled at about 158. Interesting. I didn't check the temp on the pork.

I'm using way more charcoal than normal to try and keep the temp to 225. I did have one spike to 230.

Off to make cole slaw. Photos coming soon.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

It's still in the stall, and in fact has dropped a couple of degrees.  Now I've got all the vents wide open and it's sitting at 225.  I did just add a bit more charcoal

Sounds like you are right on track for a truly specatcular butt. :biggrin: I think the stall thing is just amazing. When I first heard about it, here of course, it was one of those whack your forehead moments. Of course. It takes energy to convert the connective tissue to gelatin and to melt the fat. The whole thing is just weird. I have had a houseful of supposed adults staring at the remote thermometer in amazement and making pronouncements about every move in temperature. You would think they were watching the Superbowl.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That is interesting about the venison stall. I wouldn't have thought there would be enough connective tissue and fat to show much of a stall. I am really curious to see how that comes out.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Let's move along for the moment to the serving of said butt. If everyone is right, this should be done around 4:30. So I pull it, and let it rest? Tented? for how long? I assume this should be served warm so will it need to be reheated whenever we are ready to eat?

I always wrap mine in heavy duty foil and let it rest, it will hold the temperture for long while. I like to use my fingers to do the pulling. Others use two forks. As for re heating many on the Virtual Weber site use one of those vacuam seal things. The than just drop the bags in hot water. I don't have one so I like to re heat with a little splash of cider vinegar in a saucepan

I just noticed in your picture Mike, that you've got your butt on the top rack. Mine's on the bottom. Was it supposed to be up top? Oops.

(edited to add, it seems to have come out of the stall and the temp is on its way up again)

Marlene

(edited to add, it seems to have come out of the stall and the temp is on its way up again)

Time to take it off!

I thought it didn't come off until 190?

\

Marlene

To catch up a little, here's the early afternoon beverage, the Manzana:

gallery_6393_2478_18735.jpg

Tequila, spiced syrup and lemon juice, with a float of sparkling apple cider (which I already had open for the younger boy).

I salted the cabbage (this is about 1/3rd head each green and red, plus about half a cucumber):

gallery_6393_2478_9246.jpg

Four-hour pork check:

gallery_6393_2478_7330.jpg

Internal 107; grill 230.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Time to take it off!

\

Others may disagree, but I say it comes off when the temperature starts to rise. All that's going to happen from this point on is that the gelatin will start to leak out.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Time to take it off!

\

Others may disagree, but I say it comes off when the temperature starts to rise. All that's going to happen from this point on is that the gelatin will start to leak out.

Anyone else? Susan, fifi,?

Marlene

I've been busy.

I cheated and bought some Dole pre-cut cabbage, which, like Dave, I salted. I wanted to get a bag of the purple cabbage, but they were out.

gallery_6263_35_24398.jpg

After about 15 minutes, I dumped it onto a flour sack dish cloth, rolled it up and squeezed. I'm amazed at how much water came out.

Miz for the additions to the cole slaw.

gallery_6263_35_42760.jpg

Scallions, dried cranberries and chopped pecans. Note, Dave, that my knife reappeared. It was in the side pocket of Paul's duffel.

Boy, do I love this camera.

gallery_6263_35_36278.jpg

Dressing ingredients:

gallery_6263_35_34001.jpg

The finished product:

gallery_6263_35_74659.jpg

I use more dressing than I would really like, but it makes it much easier for Heidi to eat. Cole Slaw is one of her favorites.

I've just done a pork and venison check. The venison is most definitely stalled, and has dropped about 3 degrees in temp. Linda, this piece of venison looked just like a boned pork butt, with lots of connective tissue.

The pork is running at about 144 right now.

Edited to add:

gallery_6263_35_45721.jpg

Time to take it off!

\

Anyone else? Susan, fifi,?

What does the wiggle test tell you? (Wiggle the bone)

Edited to add: Are you sure the stall is done? The temp should shoot up, not creep, IMHO.

Let's move along for the moment to the serving of said butt. If everyone is right, this should be done around 4:30. So I pull it, and let it rest? Tented? for how long? I assume this should be served warm so will it need to be reheated whenever we are ready to eat?

I always wrap mine in heavy duty foil and let it rest, it will hold the temperture for long while. I like to use my fingers to do the pulling. Others use two forks. As for re heating many on the Virtual Weber site use one of those vacuam seal things. The than just drop the bags in hot water. I don't have one so I like to re heat with a little splash of cider vinegar in a saucepan

I just noticed in your picture Mike, that you've got your butt on the top rack. Mine's on the bottom. Was it supposed to be up top? Oops.

I always do the butt on the top rack. I always put something else on the bottom to use the space. Today it was the sausage, often chicken thighs.

Not to disagree with Dave but I look for 190. 185 average at differnt spots. We lost our cable and thus the internet for a couple of hours. I am stalled as well. It is getting much colder and mine may finish either foiled on the smoker or in the oven

My house has been very popular with the neighborhood boys. This 9-10 year old age range of boys is hugely into toilet talk. Farts, poop, etc., etc.

"Wow! Your mom is smoking butts! How cool is that." Boys dissolve into peals of laughter.

Peter says "Just wait 'til her butt stalls." More laughter.

They are having almost as much fun as I am.

Not to disagree with Dave but I look for 190.  185 average at differnt spots. 

I'm hardly an expert. But I have to ask why there's a target temperature. What's happening between the time the stall passes and the time you reach 185 - 190 that won't happen more gracefully during a rest?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

This little piece of venison is at 160, and stalled. I'm wondering if I should pull it, foil it and stick in a low oven to finish off? It's little and might need to be of the smoke, I'm thinking.